Domain of f(x)= (1/(3+lnx)): (0,∞)

• Thread starter Oliviaven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the conversation is about differentiating f(x) and finding its domain, which is (0, e^-3)U(e^-3, ∞) because ln(0) is undefined. The user also asks for clarification on using interval notation and expresses their appreciation for the forum.
Oliviaven
Hi just a quick question
Differentiate f and find the domain of f. (Enter the domain in interval notation.)
f(x)=(1/(3+lnx))

Here is my Derive: ((-3+lnx)^-2)(1/x) which is correct

And for the domain (web assign wants interval notation)
When I was doing this part, I wasn't sure if it includes 0 or not since ln(0) cannot be defined.
I tried both (0,∞) and [0,∞) which both were incorrect.

Did I visualize the graph wrong or something? I even tried to use a graphics calculator

Please enlighten me ^^

Physics news on Phys.org
1/(3+ln(x)) is also not defined if ln(x)=(-3), right? For what value of x does that happen?

Oliviaven said:
Hi just a quick question
Differentiate f and find the domain of f. (Enter the domain in interval notation.)
f(x)=(1/(3+lnx))Here is my Derive: ((-3+lnx)^-2)(1/x) which is correct Not quite correct. It should be (-(3+lnx)^-2)(1/x)

And for the domain (web assign wants interval notation)
When I was doing this part, I wasn't sure if it includes 0 or not since ln(0) cannot be defined.
I tried both (0,∞) and [0,∞) which both were incorrect.

Did I visualize the graph wrong or something? I even tried to use a graphics calculator

Please enlighten me ^^

[itex]\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{1}{3+\ln(x)}[/itex]

What value of x would make the denominator zero ??

so whenever x=e^-3 this equation will not exist? Since denominator will equal to 0 ^^

Im still kind of confused how i should input the interval notation...

will it be (0,e^-3)U(e^-3,∞) if I use interval notation? Should 0 be included since ln(0) is undefined

Oliviaven said:
so whenever x=e^-3 this equation will not exist? Since denominator will equal to 0 ^^

Im still kind of confused how i should input the interval notation...

will it be (0,e^-3)U(e^-3,∞) if I use interval notation? Should 0 be included since ln(0) is undefined
Yes, that's the way to write the domain in interval notation.

Of course 0 is not included. ln(0) is undefined just as division by zero is undefined.

Thank you for helping me on solving the question ^^

From the number of posts, you can see that I'm a new user in this forum and I think this is one really awesome forum

Related to Domain of f(x)= (1/(3+lnx)): (0,∞)

1. What is the domain of the function f(x)= (1/(3+lnx))?

The domain of this function is all real numbers greater than zero, or (0,∞). This is because the natural logarithm function, ln(x), is undefined for x=0 or any negative number, and the denominator of the function, 3+lnx, cannot equal zero.

2. Can the function f(x)= (1/(3+lnx)) have negative values?

No, the function cannot have negative values because the natural logarithm function, ln(x), is always positive for x>0. Therefore, the denominator of the function, 3+lnx, will always be positive and the overall function will be positive.

3. What happens to the function f(x)= (1/(3+lnx)) as x approaches zero?

As x approaches zero, the natural logarithm function, ln(x), approaches negative infinity. This means that the denominator of the function, 3+lnx, approaches negative infinity, and the overall function approaches zero.

4. Can the function f(x)= (1/(3+lnx)) have a vertical asymptote?

Yes, the function has a vertical asymptote at x=0. This is because as x approaches zero from the positive side, the natural logarithm function, ln(x), approaches negative infinity and the overall function approaches zero. This creates a vertical line at x=0 on the graph.

5. What is the range of the function f(x)= (1/(3+lnx))?

The range of this function is all real numbers greater than zero, or (0,∞). This is because the function is always positive and can approach zero as x approaches infinity, but it will never be equal to zero. Therefore, the range does not include zero.