Domain of multivariable function - definition

In summary, the domain of a multivariable function z=f(x,y) is:-a subset of the real numbers-a union of two subsets of the real numbers-a subset of the xy-plane-the union of the set of all values x where f(x,y) exists with the set of all values where f(x,y) exists-the set of all ordered pairs of points (x,y) so that f(x,y) exists
Poetria
Homework Statement
(Choose all options below that correctly complete the following sentence.)
The domain of a multivariable function z=f(x,y) is:
-a subset of the real numbers
-a union of two subsets of the real numbers
-a subset of the xy-plane
-the union of the set of all values x where f(x,y) exists with the set of all values where f(x,y) exists
-the set of all ordered pairs of points (x,y) so that f(x,y) exists

------
Relevant Equations
I think that only the last definition is complete: "the set of all ordered pairs of points (x,y) so that f(x,y) exists"
E.g. all real numbers could be a domain but not necessarily, etc. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Poetria said:
Homework Statement:: (Choose all options below that correctly complete the following sentence.)
The domain of a multivariable function z=f(x,y) is:
-a subset of the real numbers
-a union of two subsets of the real numbers
-a subset of the xy-plane
-the union of the set of all values x where f(x,y) exists with the set of all values where f(x,y) exists
-the set of all ordered pairs of points (x,y) so that f(x,y) exists

------
Relevant Equations:: I think that only the last definition is complete: "the set of all ordered pairs of points (x,y) so that f(x,y) exists"

E.g. all real numbers could be a domain but not necessarily, etc. Am I right?
If the real numbers were the domain, given any real number (e.g 0), you should be able to compute its image. If you have a function ##f(x,y)## how do you compute the image of 0? Or the image of any other real number?

Likes Poetria
Let the function (x,y) be z=(x+y)/x. Well, I can try to compute it: z=(x+0)/0, but it will be undefined.
I guess the image of function is its range?

Poetria said:
Let the function (x,y) be z=(x+y)/x. Well, I can try to compute it: z=(x+0)/0, but it will be undefined.
I guess the image of function is its range?
The image of a function for an element ##a## is the value of ##f(a)##. You are concentrating on the fact that 0 is undefined because is in the denominator, which makes you ignore the real problem. What is the image of your function for the real number 1 which has no problem with division?
Or if you define another function ##z=f(x,y)=x+y##, take any real number, what is its image?

Likes Poetria
I agree with your choice of last option but I think there is one more option that is also correct. Which do you think it is?

Likes Poetria
Delta2 said:
I agree with your choice of last option but I think there is one more option that is also correct. Which do you think it is?
I thought that this one "the union of the set of all values x where f(x,y) exists with the set of all values where f(x,y) exists" may be correct, but I wasn't sure.
Is the union of two such sets an equivalent of ordered pairs?
Gaussian97 said:
The image of a function for an element ##a## is the value of ##f(a)##. You are concentrating on the fact that 0 is undefined because is in the denominator, which makes you ignore the real problem. What is the image of your function for the real number 1 which has no problem with division?
Or if you define another function ##z=f(x,y)=x+y##, take any real number, what is its image?

Well, if z=f(x,y)=x+y, I can take x=1, but I would also need the value of y.
z=1+y

Poetria said:
I thought that this one "the union of the set of all values x where f(x,y) exists with the set of all values where f(x,y) exists" may be correct, but I wasn't sure.
Is the union of two such sets an equivalent of ordered pairs?Well, if z=f(x,y)=x+y, I can take x=1, but I would also need the value of y.
z=1+y
Therefore the image of a real number makes no sense. So, can the real numbers (or a subset of real numbers like "the union of the set of all values x where f(x,y) exists with the set of all values where f(x,y) exists") be the domain of the function?

Likes Poetria
Poetria said:
Is the union of two such sets an equivalent of ordered pairs?
No this is not the option I had in mind and also to answer your very last question, the union of two such sets is not an equivalent of a set of ordered pairs.

For example take the function $$f(x,y)=\frac{1}{x-2}+\frac{1}{y-3}$$. The set of where is defined with respect to x let's call it ##A_x=\mathbb{R}-\{2\}##, while the set where is defined with respect to y is ##A_y=\mathbb{R}-\{3\}##. The union of ##A_x## and ##A_y## is the whole ##\mathbb{R}##, but the function is not defined in the whole ##\mathbb{R}## it is only defined for $$A=\{(x,y)\in \mathbb{R^2}:x\neq 2 , y\neq 3\}$$

Likes Poetria
Sorry i had some typos in my last post, I think now all typos fixed.

Likes Poetria
Delta2 said:
No this is not the option I had in mind and also to answer your very last question, the union of two such sets is not an equivalent of a set of ordered pairs.

For example take the function $$f(x,y)=\frac{1}{x-2}\frac{1}{y-4}$$. The set of where is defined with respect to x let's call it ##A_x=\mathbb{R}-\{2\}##, while the set where is defined with respect to y is ##A_y=\mathbb{R}-\{3\}##. The union of ##A_x## and ##A_y## is the whole ##\mathbb{R}##, but the function is not defined in the whole ##\mathbb{R}## it is only defined for $$A=\{(x,y)\in \mathbb{R^2}:x\neq 2 , y\neq 3\}$$
Great explanation. :) Many thanks.
In that case I think the only option is this one "a subset of the xy-plane". My reservation was that there is no mention about if the function exists.

Likes Delta2
Poetria said:
In that case I think the only option is this one "a subset of the xy-plane". My reservation was that there is no mention about if the function exists.
yes that's the option i had in mind. The way I read this option is "A subset of the xy plane where the function exists (or is well defined)"

Likes Poetria
Delta2 said:
yes that's the option i had in mind. The way I read this option is "A subset of the xy plane where the function exists (or is well defined)"
Thank you so much. :) I got it. :)

Likes Delta2
Actually, there's no need to add any extra information, the phrase
"The domain of a multivariable function z=f(x,y) is a subset of the xy-plane"
is perfectly fine as it is.

Likes Poetria and Delta2
Gaussian97 said:
Actually, there's no need to add any extra information, the phrase
"The domain of a multivariable function z=f(x,y) is a subset of the xy-plane"
is perfectly fine as it is.
As Keith Devlin said, it's about mathematical thinking. It's clear to you but it wasn't clear to me. I suppose the term 'subset' is the key. It implicates a subset where the function is well-defined.

Likes Delta2

1. What is the definition of a domain in a multivariable function?

The domain of a multivariable function is the set of all possible input values for the function. In other words, it is the set of all independent variables for which the function is defined and can produce an output.

2. How is the domain of a multivariable function different from a single variable function?

The domain of a single variable function is typically a set of real numbers, while the domain of a multivariable function can be a set of tuples, vectors, or matrices depending on the number of independent variables in the function.

3. Can the domain of a multivariable function be infinite?

Yes, the domain of a multivariable function can be infinite if the function is defined for all possible values of its independent variables. For example, the domain of the function f(x,y) = 1/(x+y) is infinite as it is defined for all real numbers.

4. How do you determine the domain of a multivariable function?

To determine the domain of a multivariable function, you need to consider any restrictions on the independent variables that would make the function undefined. These restrictions can be in the form of division by zero, square root of a negative number, or logarithm of a non-positive number. Once these restrictions are identified, the domain can be expressed as a set of valid values for the independent variables.

5. Can the domain of a multivariable function change?

Yes, the domain of a multivariable function can change if the function is redefined or if new restrictions on the independent variables are introduced. It is important to always consider the domain when working with multivariable functions to ensure that the function is well-defined.