Dont understand the bounds of this integral, shell method.

In summary, the problem is to use the shell method to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the plane region bounded by y=4x-x^2, y=4, and x=0 about the y-axis. The correct integral to use is 2π∫ (x^3 - 4x^2 + 4x) dx from x=0 to x=2. This is because the region being revolved is not the entire parabola, but the "open space" between the parabola and the y-axis.
Agent M27

Homework Statement

Use the shell method to set up and evaluate the integral that gives the volume of the solid generated by revolving the plane region about the y-axis.

[tex]y=4x-x^{2} , y=4 , x=0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]V=2\pi\int p(x)h(x)[/tex]

from a to b

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]V=2\pi\int4x^{2}-x^{3}[/tex]

The equation y=4x-x^2 is the equation for an upside down parabola with its vertex at (2,2) and has roots at x=0,4. When revolving around the y-axis the bounds are from a to b which in this case ought to be 0 to 4. Instead the book gives the same integral as I have found but with the bounds from 0 to 2, I have been banging my head against the wall on this one for too long, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Joseph

Physics news on Phys.org
Agent M27 said:

Homework Statement

Use the shell method to set up and evaluate the integral that gives the volume of the solid generated by revolving the plane region about the y-axis.

Homework Equations

from a to b

The equation y=4x-x^2 is the equation for an upside down parabola with its vertex at (2,2) and has roots at x=0,4. When revolving around the y-axis the bounds are from a to b which in this case ought to be 0 to 4. Instead the book gives the same integral as I have found but with the bounds from 0 to 2, I have been banging my head against the wall on this one for too long, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Joseph

You should pay attention to the given lines too.
[tex] y=4 , x=0 [/tex]

The area to revolve is bounded
From (0,0) to (0,4) along the [tex]x=0[/tex] axis.
From (0,4) to (2,4) along the [tex]y=4[/tex] axis.
From (2,4) to (0,0) along the parabola.

Agent M27 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

from a to b

Joseph
I think you might be looking at the wrong region. The one that is described above is to the left of the parabola. It's a sort of triangular region bounded on the left by the y-axis (x = 0), above by the line y = 4, and on the right by the parabola. When you revolve it around the y axis, you get a sort of cone shape, with the vertex at the origin.

One thing for sure, your integrand doesn't take into account that h(x) extends from the parabola up to the line y = 4.

As I mentioned I have been staring at this one for to long my integral is actually:

[tex]V=2\pi\int x^{3}-4x^{2}+4x dx[/tex]

From your direction Mark, they are not actually wanting me to find the volume within that upside down parabola, they want me to find the "open space" between it and the y-axis. I guess I can see this being that it gave me the other conditions of x=0 and y=4, but I still don't see why I would stop at x=2. If they had just provided the y=4x-x^{2} then they would be speaking about the parabola only, is that correct? Thanks.

Joe

If the region being revolved had been bounded by y = 4x - x^2 and the x-axis, then yes, the region would be that part of the parabola.

As for why x = 2 is the upper limit of integration, where does the line y = 4 intersect the parabola?

Related to Dont understand the bounds of this integral, shell method.

1. What is the shell method?

The shell method is a technique used in calculus for finding the volume of a solid of revolution. It involves slicing the solid into infinitely thin cylindrical shells and integrating their volumes.

2. How do I know when to use the shell method?

The shell method is typically used when the solid of revolution is formed by revolving a function around the y-axis. It is also used when the cross-sections of the solid are not easy to define using the disc or washer method.

3. What are the bounds of the integral in the shell method?

The bounds of the integral in the shell method depend on the axis of revolution and the function being used. If the axis of revolution is the y-axis, the bounds will be in terms of y. If the axis of revolution is the x-axis, the bounds will be in terms of x.

4. How do I set up the integral for the shell method?

The integral for the shell method is typically set up as follows: ∫ 2πrh(x) dx, where r is the distance from the axis of revolution to the shell and h(x) is the height of the shell at a given x-value. The integral will be evaluated over the bounds of the solid.

5. Are there any limitations to using the shell method?

The shell method may not be suitable for finding the volume of solids with irregular shapes or those with multiple axes of revolution. In these cases, other methods such as the disc or washer method may need to be used.