Doppler effect and Beat frequency

In summary, a runner running at speed V between two identical speakers playing a tone of the same frequency f will hear a beat frequency of Vf/2v. If a standing wave forms between the two speakers, the runner will hit a node of the standing wave every λ/2f. This is regardless of whether the wave is open at two ends or not, as each successive node and antinode are always λ/2 apart.
Yoonique

Homework Statement

A runner is running with speed V along the straight line connecting two identical speakers. Both speakers are playing a tone of the same frequency f.
a)What is the beat frequency that the runner hears?
b)If the standing wave forms between two speakers, how frequently will the runner hit a node of the standing wave?
c)Compare your results from (a) and (b).

Homework Equations

fl = fs(v+Vl)/(v+Vs), where v is the velocity of the wave, Vs is the velocity of the source and Vl is the velocity of the listener.
v = λƒ

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part a using the doppler effect equation. Tbeat = Vf/2v
For part b, I got the answer Vf/4v. Because it is two open ends, the start of the wave is an displacement antinode and thus the displacement node is at every λ/4.
But according to the answer it seems that the node they are referring to is the pressure nodes which are the displacement antinodes, thus the displacement antinodes is at every λ/2 which gives the answer Vf/2v which is the given answer.
So am I correct that the question refers the node as an pressure nodes? Or are they referring to the displacement nodes thus my concept is a bit shaky.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is a "pressure" node?

And why do you assume the wave is "open" at two ends? It actually doesn't matter.

Also using "T" for frequency is a bit confusing since this is typically used for period.

Last edited:
Yoonique said:
the displacement node is at every λ/4.
Don't nodes and antinodes alternate? How can there be twice as many of one as of the other?

paisiello2 said:
What exactly is a "pressure" node?

And why do you assume the wave is "open" at two ends? It actually doesn't matter.

Also using "T" for frequency is a bit confusing since this is typically used for period.
Okay shall change it to fbeat = Vf/2v. Because a wave equation is y(x.t) = Acos(kx-wt). And y represents the displacement of a particle from the equilibirum point. However in longitudinal wave, like sound wave, we can represent the wave in terms of a particle displacement or the pressure variations in the fluid where ΔP = BkAsin(kx-wt), where B is the bulk modulus of the fluid and k is the wave number (2π/λ). Then when the particle displacement from the equilibrium is 0 (displacement node), the pressure variation is the highest (pressure antinodes). That 2 equation have a phase difference of λ/4. So I'm asking that the question refers the node as a displacement node, or a pressure node. In a pressure node I assume there is not variation in pressure, thus you can't hear anything in a pressure node? While if you are in a displacement node, the variation in pressure is the largest thus the sound will be the loudest?
upload_2015-4-23_12-59-48.png

haruspex said:
Don't nodes and antinodes alternate? How can there be twice as many of one as of the other?
Yeah they alternate. The wave formed between the 2 speakers is a standing wave with 2 open ends? So the displacement nodes are λ/4? Is kind of hard to explain so I'll use a picture.
upload_2015-4-23_13-5-30.png

Yoonique said:
Yeah they alternate. The wave formed between the 2 speakers is a standing wave with 2 open ends? So the displacement nodes are λ/4? Is kind of hard to explain so I'll use a picture.
As per your picture, successive nodes are λ/2 apart, and successive antinodes are λ/2 apart.
The question asks how frequently, not how long to the first one.

haruspex said:
As per your picture, successive nodes are λ/2 apart, and successive antinodes are λ/2 apart.
The question asks how frequently, not how long to the first one.
Okay I get what you mean. So that is why it does not matter whether is an open end because each successive nodes/antinodes are always λ/2 apart?

Yoonique said:
Okay I get what you mean. So that is why it does not matter whether is an open end because each successive nodes/antinodes are always λ/2 apart?
Yes.

What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a relative motion between a source of sound and an observer. It results in a change in the frequency of the sound waves perceived by the observer.

How does the Doppler effect work?

The Doppler effect works by compressing or stretching sound waves depending on the direction of the relative motion between the source and the observer. When the source is moving towards the observer, the frequency of the sound waves increases and when the source is moving away from the observer, the frequency decreases.

What is the beat frequency?

The beat frequency is the difference between the frequencies of two sound waves that are interfering with each other. It is usually perceived as a pulsating or throbbing sound and is often used in music to create a rhythmic effect.

How is the beat frequency related to the Doppler effect?

The beat frequency is related to the Doppler effect because it is a result of the interference between two sound waves with different frequencies. This interference is caused by the relative motion between the source and the observer, which is also the principle behind the Doppler effect.

What are some real-life applications of the Doppler effect and beat frequency?

The Doppler effect and beat frequency have various practical applications, such as in weather forecasting, medical imaging, and radar technology. They are also used in music production to create unique sounds and effects. Additionally, the Doppler effect is utilized in traffic speed guns and police radar to measure the speed of moving vehicles.