Doppler radar measurement by an aircraft

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different variables to represent the speed of an aircraft, light speed, initial frequency, initial wavelength, and apparent wavelength. It also mentions the equation λƒ = u + (c/ƒ')*ƒ and how it can be used to calculate the speed of the aircraft. The conversation concludes by discussing the Doppler shift equation and the speed of the plane in relation to the reflected signal.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
All below
Relevant Equations
All below
1596237156804.png

1596236772848.png

u is the aircraft speed.
c is light speed
f is the initial frequency
λ is the initial wavelength
λ' is the apparent wavelength

λƒ = u +λ'ƒ
λƒ = u + (c/ƒ')*ƒ
c = u + (c/ƒ')*ƒ
u = c(1-(ƒ/ƒ'))
1596237094118.png

u = 1500m/s

The answer is half of it, where is my error?

Attachments

• 1596236743300.png
    1596236743300.png
    3 KB · Views: 80
  • 1596236808815.png
    1596236808815.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 1596237036018.png
    1596237036018.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 1596237151341.png
    1596237151341.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 90
Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
The answer is half of it, where is my error?
Remember that this is the reflected signal. So if it were measured at a stationary detector at the reflector, you would get one value. If it is measured at the aircraft which is moving toward the reflector, you get twice the value...

berkeman said:
Remember that this is the reflected signal. So if it were measured at a stationary detector at the reflector, you would get one value. If it is measured at the aircraft which is moving toward the reflector, you get twice the value...
Sorry, I am not sure if i get... So my math equations is wrong? The speed i measured is what would be measured in the aircraft?

So the Doppler shift equation you used is for the shift observed by a stationary observer and a moving aircraft. But what if the observer is moving with the aircraft too? That makes the closing speed with the reflected signal how much bigger? :smile:

• Informative
Likes LCSphysicist
The aircraft will see ##f= \frac{c+v}{c-v}f_0 = (1 + \frac{2v}{c-v})f_0##, which means that the speed of the plane is, using ##f = f_0 + \Delta f##,$$v = \frac{\frac{\Delta f}{f_0}c}{2 + \frac{\Delta f}{f_0}} \approx \frac{c\Delta f}{2f_0} \approx 749.999 \text{ms}^{-1}$$i.e. very close to 750##\text{ms}^{-1}##, given ##\frac{\Delta f}{f_0}## is small.

1. What is Doppler radar measurement by an aircraft?

Doppler radar measurement by an aircraft is a technique used to measure the velocity and direction of objects in the atmosphere, such as clouds, precipitation, and wind. It works by sending out radio waves and then measuring the frequency shift of the reflected waves to determine the motion of the objects.

2. How does Doppler radar measurement by an aircraft work?

Doppler radar measurement by an aircraft works by emitting pulses of radio waves from an antenna on the aircraft. These waves then bounce off of objects in the atmosphere and are reflected back to the antenna. The frequency of the reflected waves is then compared to the frequency of the emitted waves, and the difference is used to calculate the velocity and direction of the objects.

3. What are the advantages of using Doppler radar measurement by an aircraft?

One advantage of using Doppler radar measurement by an aircraft is its ability to provide real-time data on the movement of objects in the atmosphere. This is particularly useful for tracking severe weather events, such as thunderstorms and hurricanes. Additionally, Doppler radar can provide more accurate measurements of wind speed and direction compared to other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to Doppler radar measurement by an aircraft?

While Doppler radar is a powerful tool for measuring atmospheric motion, there are some limitations to its use. One limitation is that it is only effective for measuring objects within a certain range from the aircraft. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements can be affected by factors such as turbulence and precipitation.

5. How is Doppler radar measurement by an aircraft used in weather forecasting?

Doppler radar measurement by an aircraft plays a crucial role in weather forecasting by providing valuable data on the movement of weather systems. This data is used by meteorologists to track the development and movement of storms, as well as to make more accurate predictions about their intensity and potential impact on a given area.