How do you find speed given the beat frequency?

In summary, to find speed given the beat frequency, you can use the formula v = λf, where v is the speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the beat frequency. Alternatively, you can also use the formula v = 2d/T, where d is the distance between the two sources and T is the time it takes for one beat to occur. Both formulas require accurate measurements and knowledge of the properties of the wave, such as wavelength and frequency. By plugging in the values and solving for v, you can determine the speed of the wave.
Ekullabran

Homework Statement

Using a radar gun, you emit radar waves at a frequency of 2.6 GHz that bounce off of a moving tennis ball and recombine with the original waves. This produces a beat frequency of 730 Hz. How fast was the tennis ball moving?

Homework Equations

fbeat = fa - fb
v=λf
f=1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the frequency that bounces back from the moving tennis ball using fbeat=fa-fb, however, I don't know how to find that speed of the tennis ball given that I don't know its wavelength.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.
Ekullabran said:

Homework Statement

... I don't know how to find that speed of the tennis ball given that I don't know its wavelength.
What wavelength are you referring to here?

Start with the concept of why there is a change in wavelength when the radar waves bounce off the tennis ball. There is a name for the phenomenon of this type of frequency shift. (The name starts with "D"). Your list of relevant equations should include an equation or two related to this phenomenon.

I guess you are to assume that the ball is traveling directly toward or away from the radar gun rather than traveling at some oblique angle to the direction of propagation of the radar waves. Otherwise, there would not be enough information given in the problem.

Likes Ekullabran
Hi!

TSny said:
Hello.
What wavelength are you referring to here?

Start with the concept of why there is a change in wavelength when the radar waves bounce off the tennis ball. There is a name for the phenomenon of this type of frequency shift. (The name starts with "D"). Your list of relevant equations should include an equation or two related to this phenomenon.

I guess you are to assume that the ball is traveling directly toward or away from the radar gun rather than traveling at some oblique angle to the direction of propagation of the radar waves. Otherwise, there would not be enough information given in the problem.

I am assuming you are referring to the doppler effect if so I would assume you would use fapparent = (v/(vs+v))f. Would this be sufficient enough to solve this question?

Ekullabran said:
Hi!
I am assuming you are referring to the doppler effect..
Yes
...if so I would assume you would use fapparent = (v/(vs+v))f. Would this be sufficient enough to solve this question?
It's a little more complicated. The source of the waves is the radar gun, and it is at rest. The frequency shift occurs when the waves bounce off the moving ball. The ball first "receives" the waves and then acts as a "source" in sending the waves back to the gun. The ball acts both as a receiver (or "observer") and as a source. So, you need to combine the doppler formula for a moving observer with the doppler formula for a moving source. Or, hopefully, you've already covered the doppler shift formula for waves reflecting off a moving object.

For derivation see https://www.khanacademy.org/science...doppler-effect-reflection-off-a-moving-object

If you just want the formula without the derivation see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_radar

1. How do I calculate speed using beat frequency?

To calculate speed using beat frequency, you will need to know the wavelength of the sound wave and the beat frequency. Then, you can use the formula speed = wavelength x frequency to find the speed of the sound wave.

2. What is the relationship between beat frequency and speed?

The beat frequency is directly related to the speed of the sound wave. As the speed of the sound wave increases, the beat frequency will also increase.

3. Can I use beat frequency to find the speed of any type of wave?

No, beat frequency can only be used to find the speed of sound waves. For other types of waves, different methods and formulas will need to be used.

4. Why is beat frequency used to find speed?

Beat frequency is used to find speed because it is a simple and accurate way to measure the speed of sound waves. It also does not require any specialized equipment, making it accessible for many experiments and observations.

5. What are some real-world applications of using beat frequency to find speed?

One common real-world application is in the field of acoustics, where beat frequency is used to accurately measure the speed of sound in different mediums. It is also used in musical instruments to tune them and in Doppler radar to measure the speed of moving objects.