Double barrier potential in electrical field with matlab

In summary, the individual is seeking help with calculating transmission probability through a double barrier potential in an electrical field using MATLAB. They are encountering difficulties and have provided their MATLAB code and results for reference. They are specifically unsure about the effect of an electrical field on the transmission curve and are looking for assistance in troubleshooting their program.
Nemanja989
Hello there :),

I have a problem in calculating transmission probability through double barrier potential in electrical field with matlab. While doing some exercises form http://www.nextnano.de/nextnano3/tutorial/1Dtutorial_Transmission_NEGF.htm, I came to the last one, where external field is applied and transmission probability is plotted. With all the rest examples I had no difficulties, but when electrical field is used I simply can't get good results.

So I would like to get some help if possible :).

First if someone could tell me what happens with transmission curve if we apply electrical field? Is the situation as on linked site? I am no more sure of anything, since I can't find any mistake in mine program. Mine results are attached to this post as pictures and as MATLAB code in word file. It would be big relief to me if someone else could read or test the program, since I get good results for potential, but bad for transmission :( .

Attachments

• tranmission.jpg
    tranmission.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 477
  • tranmission_log.jpg
    tranmission_log.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 536
  • transmission.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 308
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there!

I understand your frustration with trying to calculate transmission probability through a double barrier potential in an electrical field using MATLAB. This can be a complex problem to solve, and it's common to encounter difficulties along the way. I would be happy to offer some assistance and provide some insights into what may be causing your issues.

Firstly, let's discuss the effect of applying an electrical field on the transmission curve. When an electrical field is applied, it can change the energy levels of the particles in the system, resulting in a shift in the transmission curve. This shift can be either positive or negative, depending on the direction and strength of the electrical field. In some cases, the electrical field can also create additional energy levels, which can further complicate the transmission curve.

Based on your description, it seems like you are following a tutorial from the nextnano website. It's important to note that the material properties and parameters used in the tutorial may not be exactly the same as the ones you are using in your program. Small differences in material properties can have a significant impact on the results, so it's essential to double-check your input values and make sure they are accurate.

It would also be helpful if you could provide more information about the specific issues you are encountering. Are you getting any error messages? Are the results completely off or just slightly different from what you expected? This will help me better understand and troubleshoot the problem.

In the meantime, I took a look at the MATLAB code you provided, and everything seems to be correctly implemented. One suggestion I have is to try plotting the transmission curve for different values of the electrical field to see how it affects the results. This can help you identify any potential errors or inconsistencies in your code.

I hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Double barrier potential in electrical field with matlab

1. What is a double barrier potential in an electrical field?

A double barrier potential is a type of potential energy barrier that exists in an electrical field. It consists of two potential barriers separated by a potential well, where the particles experience higher energy levels in the barriers and lower energy levels in the well.

2. How is a double barrier potential modeled in MATLAB?

A double barrier potential can be modeled in MATLAB using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. This equation can be solved numerically using various methods, such as the finite difference method or the shooting method.

3. What are the factors that affect a double barrier potential in an electrical field?

The factors that affect a double barrier potential include the height and width of the potential barriers, the depth and width of the potential well, and the strength of the electrical field. These parameters can be adjusted in the MATLAB model to analyze their effects on the potential.

4. What are some practical applications of double barrier potential in electrical fields?

Double barrier potentials have a wide range of applications in various fields, including electronics, optoelectronics, and quantum computing. They are used to control the flow of electrons in transistors, create potential barriers for quantum well lasers, and design quantum tunneling devices.

5. How can the behavior of particles in a double barrier potential be visualized in MATLAB?

In MATLAB, the behavior of particles in a double barrier potential can be visualized by plotting the wave function and probability density of the particles at different energy levels. This can help to understand the transmission and reflection of particles at the potential barriers, as well as the phenomenon of quantum tunneling.