Double Delta Potential: Solving Particle Scattering Problem

In summary: You can now generalize this to the case of two ##\delta##-singularities. Another nice exercise is the "Dirac Comb", i.e., infinitely many periodic ##\delta## distributions.In summary, a particle moves from the left along the x-axis and gets scatterd at a one-dimensional potential V(x)=a[dirac delta of x) +b [dirac delta of x-c], where a,b,c are positive numbers. The question is now: What is the transmission-amplitude t of the particle and the transmission-probability?
eradan
Summary:: I have a problem with a particle, which gets scatterd at a double delta-potential

Hello, I am really stuck with the floowing problem:

A particle moves from the left along the x-axis and gets scatterd at a one-dimensional potential V(x)=a[dirac delta of x) +b [dirac delta of x-c], where a,b,c are positive numbers. The question is now: What is the transmission-amplitude t of the particle and the transmission-probability?

You could really help me with this. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since a Dirac delta function is zero except at a point, the solution to the Schrodinger equation for this situation will be just a superposition of plane waves. So ##A e^{i k x} + B e^{-i k x}##. So the challenge is to break the entire x-axis into three regions, the region to the left, the region between the delta-functions, and the region to the right. Each region will have different values of ##A## and ##B##. First find out what those coefficients are in each region.

Likes vanhees71
First of all thank you for you answer! But I want to solve the problem in general, since i can then apply it to future problems, so I got the three regions 1: x<0 A⋅exp(ikx) +B⋅exp(-ikx) ; 2: 0<x<a C⋅exp(ikx) +D⋅exp(-ikx) ; 3: a<x F⋅exp(ikx). But now I don't know, how I get a general solution to the transmission amplitude, any ideas?

You need to employ the conditions to the wave function at the two points, where the ##\delta## distributions "peak".

You mean like, that the wavefunction and its derivative need to be continues at the "peaks"? I tried that and just came to 0=0, which i could not really use...

It's not that simple because you deal with a distribution-valued potential.

Hint: Consider first one ##\delta(x)## potential as the corresponding limit of a box potential,
$$V_{\epsilon}(x)=\Theta(-\epsilon/2<x<\epsilon/2),$$
where
$$\Theta(-\epsilon/2<x<\epsilon/2)=\begin{cases} 1 & \text{for} \quad |x|<\epsilon/2, \\ 0 &\text{for} \quad |x| \geq \epsilon/2. \end{cases}$$
To that end integrate the time-independent Schrödinger equation over the interval ##[-\epsilon/2,\epsilon/2]## and then derive the corresponding boundary condition in the limit ##\epsilon \rightarrow 0^+##. You'll get a "jump condtion" for ##\psi'(x)/\psi(x)## at ##x=0##. Since ##\psi## is continuous at ##x=0## (1st condition) you get a jump for ##\psi'## at ##x=0## (2nd condition), which you need to match the solutions left and right of the singularity of the potential at ##x=0##.

You can now generalize this to the case of two ##\delta##-singularities. Another nice exercise is the "Dirac Comb", i.e., infinitely many periodic ##\delta## distributions.

First of all thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

If I apply the said and integrate the Schrödinger equation I come to ψ2(0)' - ψ1(0)' = h^2/2ma and the same for x=a, but with Ψ3 and ψ2. Where "h" represents h bar, but I do not know how to write it here.

But from there on, how do I derrive the transmission amplitude? I tried making a system of equations out of the boundary conditions but got like 2 pages of terms as a result, which does not seem right...

if someone has allready solved this problem, please help me, its really important form myself!

vanhees71 said:
You can now generalize this to the case of two ##\delta##-singularities. Another nice exercise is the "Dirac Comb", i.e., infinitely many periodic ##\delta## distributions.
And also thank you for this recommendation! The "Dirac Comb" seems really interesting!

eradan said:
If I apply the said and integrate the Schrödinger equation I come to ψ2(0)' - ψ1(0)' = h^2/2ma and the same for x=a, but with Ψ3 and ψ2. Where "h" represents h bar, but I do not know how to write it here.
That is not correct. When you integrate over each delta function you get a kink in the derivative proportional to the strength of the ##\delta## potential. Do us all a favor and use capital letters ie $$V(x)=A\delta (x)+B\delta(x-c)$$ Of course you could do a big favor and learn LaTeX. Anyhow try again.

Likes vanhees71
Thank you for your help! I am sorry, but I have never learned Latex and I am afraid I won't do it over night...

I do not quite undestand why I am wrong and how it would be correct... if I integrate HΨ=EΨ, over a Interval from -e to e and then look at the limit of e to 0 I came to Ψ2(0)' -Ψ1(0)'=2mA/h^2 (I see that I made an error there in my last post), where ' means the derivative with respect to x.

I would be verry thankfull if you could tell me, how it is done right!

Write it out line by line. The potential multiplies ##\Psi##. Get a fresh piece of paper and proceed carefully. When you integrate near the distributions you will pick up the potential strength times the wavefn at x=0 and at x=c.

Have you solved the analogous problem with a single delta function potential?

Likes vanhees71 and hutchphd

1. What is a double delta potential?

A double delta potential is a theoretical potential used in particle scattering problems. It consists of two delta functions, representing two point-like interactions, which can be used to model the interaction between particles.

2. How is a double delta potential solved?

A double delta potential can be solved using mathematical techniques such as the Schrödinger equation and Green's function. The solution involves finding the wave function and energy eigenvalues of the system.

3. What is the significance of the double delta potential in physics?

The double delta potential is significant in physics because it allows for the study of particle scattering, which is important in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions. It also serves as a simplified model for more complex potentials.

4. Can a double delta potential be used to describe real-world interactions?

While the double delta potential is a useful theoretical tool, it is not an accurate representation of real-world interactions. It is a simplified model that neglects many factors, and should only be used as a starting point for more complex calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to using a double delta potential?

Yes, there are limitations to using a double delta potential. It is a highly simplified model that neglects many factors, such as the size and shape of particles, and the effects of spin and relativity. It should only be used in situations where these simplifications are appropriate.