Double Check My Answers: Calculating Projectile Motion with Initial Velocity

• Thread starter silentcoder
  • Start date
In summary: Keep a couple of extra digits for anything you use as an intermediate result to be used in a further calculation.I get answers that are close to what you did for #2, but the difference is too much to be chalked up to round-off error.It looks like you're using an equation that calculates the velocity of a projectile as the sum of the initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity. You're also calculating the time it takes for the projectile to reach its destination.
silentcoder
Hi,
I am not going to ask you to do my homework, since i have done them myself. I just want your help to double check my questions.

1. A tennis ball is thrown horizontally with an initial velocity of 14.5 m/s from a height of 1.4 m above the ground. Determine the following:

(a) the time the ball spends in the air. (0.53 s)

(b) the velocity with which the ball impacts the ground. (15 m/s [20 degree below horizonal])

2. You are trying to throw a ball over a 3.0 m high fence. You throw the ball from a height of 1.0 m with an initial velocity of 27 m/s 50° above the horizontal. Determine the following:

(a) the maximum height of the ball. (23.5 m)

(b) the time the ball spends in the air. (4.33 s)

3. An artillery gun can fire a shell at an initial velocity of 1700 m/s at an angle of 55° above the horizontal. Determine the following:

(a) the time the shell spends in the air. (Is the answer appx. 284 s)

If i am missing any directions, please let me know.
Thanks! I really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
silentcoder said:
Hi,
I am not going to ask you to do my homework, since i have done them myself. I just want your help to double check my questions.

1. A tennis ball is thrown horizontally with an initial velocity of 14.5 m/s from a height of 1.4 m above the ground. Determine the following:

(a) the time the ball spends in the air. (0.53 s)

(b) the velocity with which the ball impacts the ground. (15 m/s [20 degree below horizonal])

2. You are trying to throw a ball over a 3.0 m high fence. You throw the ball from a height of 1.0 m with an initial velocity of 27 m/s 50° above the horizontal. Determine the following:

(a) the maximum height of the ball. (23.5 m)

(b) the time the ball spends in the air. (4.33 s)

3. An artillery gun can fire a shell at an initial velocity of 1700 m/s at an angle of 55° above the horizontal. Determine the following:

(a) the time the shell spends in the air. (Is the answer appx. 284 s)

If i am missing any directions, please let me know.
Thanks! I really appreciate it!
Hello silentcoder. Welcome to PF !

It makes much more sense for us to check your answers, if you at least give some detail as to how you got your answers. Often showing your work is even better.
You will tend to get better responses if you do these things.​

1. a) is correct to 2 sig. fig.

1. b): I get about the same angle -- not the same magnitude.

I'll look at the others & get back.

Thanks, next time i will post my solutions as well.

For 1. (b) I get -5.194 as my final velocity using equation: vf = vi + 2at
Wouldn't it make sense if you get same angel, then shouldn't be the resultant velocity be same as well?

silentcoder said:

Wouldn't it make sense if you get same angel, then shouldn't be the resultant velocity be same as well?
Yes, I agree with that statement.

I don't agree with 15 m/s .

SammyS said:
Yes, I agree with that statement.

I don't agree with 15 m/s .

What value are you getting for 1.(b)?
and is the rest of question 2 correct?

All of your answers seem to be about right, just a little inaccurate. For 1b I get 15.4 m/s; for 2a, 22.8m; 2b, 4.26s; ... If improving your accuracy doesn't fix these, pls post your detailed working.

silentcoder said:

It looks like the time you used for that was the rounded value you listed as the answer for 1 a .

Keep a couple of extra digits for anything you use as an intermediate result to be used in a further calculation.

I get about -5.23832 m/s for the vertical component of the velocity at impact.

θ ≈ tan-1(-5.23832/14.5) ≈ -20°

silentcoder said:
What value are you getting for 1.(b)?
and is the rest of question 2 correct?

I get answers that are close to what you did for #2, but the difference is too much to be chalked up to round-off error.

How did you get them?

for 2.(a) I did:
Code:
vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
         0 m/s = (21 m/s)^2 + s(-9.8 m/s^2)d
         0 m/s = (441 m/s) - (19.6 m/s^2) d
         0 - 441 m/s = -19.6 m/s^2 d
          -441m/s / -19.6 m/s^2 = d
         d = 22.5 m
         since ur throwing the ball from a height of 1m: [COLOR="red"]22.5m + 1m = 23.5 m[/COLOR]

for 2.(b) I did:
Code:
     d = vi t + 1/2 at^2
     -1m = (21 m/s)t - 1/2(-9.8 m/s^2) t^2
     -1m = (21 m/s)t - 4.9 m/s^2 t^2
     = -4.9 m/s^2 t^2 + 21 m/s t + 1m
Quadratic equation: t = -0.05 and [COLOR="Red"]4.33s[/COLOR]

silentcoder said:
for 2.(a) I did:
Code:
vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
But 21 is not very accurate for 27 sin (50o). It's about 20.7.

silentcoder said:
for 2.(a) I did:
Code:
         vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
         0 m/s = (441 m/s) - (19.6 m/s^2) d
         0 - 441 m/s = -19.6 m/s^2 d
          -441m/s / -19.6 m/s^2 = d
         d = 22.5 m
         since ur throwing the ball from a height of 1m: [COLOR="red"]22.5m + 1m = 23.5 m[/COLOR]

for 2.(b) I did:
Code:
     d = vi t + 1/2 at^2
     -1m = (21 m/s)t - 1/2(-9.8 m/s^2) t^2
     -1m = (21 m/s)t - 4.9 m/s^2 t^2
     = -4.9 m/s^2 t^2 + 21 m/s t + 1m
Quadratic equation: t = -0.05 and [COLOR="Red"]4.33s[/COLOR]
As I pointed out earlier, you should retain a few digits beyond the rules for significant digits when using intermediate results.

(27)sin(55°) ≈ 20.68
In my opinion, it's best to work as much of the problem symbolically as possible.

Solving the following for d:

[itex]\displaystyle {v_f}^2 = {v_i}^2 + 2ad[/itex]

gives:

[itex]\displaystyle d=\frac{{v_f}^2-{v_i}^2}{2a}[/itex]

Substituting the appropriate values gives:

[itex]\displaystyle d=\frac{{0}^2-(27\,\sin(55^\circ))^2}{2(-9.8)}[/itex]

This is approximately 24.9575 .

What does it mean to "double check my answers"?

Double checking involves reviewing and verifying the accuracy of one's answers, usually with the help of another person. It is a common practice in academia and research to ensure the validity and reliability of data and conclusions.

Why is it important to have someone double check my answers?

Having someone else double check your answers can help catch any mistakes or errors that you may have missed. It serves as a form of quality control to ensure the accuracy and credibility of your work.

Who should I ask to double check my answers?

You can ask anyone you trust to double check your answers, such as a colleague, mentor, or peer. It is important to choose someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the subject matter and can offer constructive feedback.

How do I ask someone to double check my answers?

When asking someone to double check your answers, be sure to provide clear instructions and any necessary background information. It is also helpful to specify what areas you would like them to focus on and any specific questions or concerns you may have.

What should I do if someone finds a mistake in my answers?

If someone finds a mistake in your answers, it is important to thank them for their feedback and make the necessary corrections. It is also helpful to understand where the mistake was made and how you can avoid similar errors in the future.