Double Delta Fuinction Potential - Tell me if Im correct please

So the equation U'_II(-a) - U'_{III}(a) is incorrect, as is the discontinuity equation.In summary, the user is asking for help in solving for R and T and finding the condition for resonant transmission in a system with given equations and boundary conditions. The conversation includes incorrect equations and the need for further clarification.
jhosamelly

Homework Statement

THIS IS THE QUESTION

V (x) = [itex]\sqrt{((h-bar ^{2})V_{0})/2m}[/itex] [[itex]\delta(x-a)[/itex]+ [itex]\delta(x+a)[/itex]]

-How do I find R and T?

-Under what condition is there resonant transmission?

2. The attempt at a solution

ok. I got these answers. Are these correct? Someone please tell me.

General Equations

[itex]U_{I}[/itex] = [itex]e^{ikx}[/itex] + R [itex]e^{-ikx}[/itex]

[itex]U_{II}[/itex] = A [itex]e^{ikx}[/itex] + B [itex]e^{-ikx}[/itex]

[itex]U_{III}[/itex] =T [itex]e^{-ikx}[/itex]

Boundary Conditions

if a = 0

[itex]U_{I}[/itex] = [itex]U_{II}[/itex]

1 + R = A + B

[itex]U_{II}[/itex] = [itex]U_{III}[/itex]

A + B = T

discontinuity equation

[itex]U'_{I}[/itex] - [itex]U'_{II}[/itex] = - [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2m V_{o}}{h-bar^{2}}}[/itex] [itex]U_{a}[/itex]

ik (1 - R) - ik (A - B) = - [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2m V_{o}}{h-bar^{2}}}[/itex] R

[itex]U'_{II}[/itex] - [itex]U'_{III}[/itex] = - [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2m V_{o}}{h-bar^{2}}}[/itex][itex]U_{a}[/itex]

ik (A-B) - ikT = - [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2m V_{o}}{h-bar^{2}}}[/itex] T

/// i hope someone can tell me if these are correct so I can continue my calculations. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The continuity condition A+B = T isn't correct. You need to set x to the location of the second delta function.

vela said:
The continuity condition A+B = T isn't correct. You need to set x to the location of the second delta function.

Hmmm.. ok. Thanks. What about the discontinuity equation? are they correct?

I didn't notice the other delta function is at x=-a. All four of your equations, as written, have errors in them.

vela said:
I didn't notice the other delta function is at x=-a. All four of your equations, as written, have errors in them.

really? how should the equation be then? Please help me. Only the signs are wrong or the whole equation?

The boundary between UI and UII is at x=-a, not x=0, so the boundary conditions are
\begin{align*}
U_I(-a) &= U_{II}(-a) \\
U'_{II}(-a) - U'_I(-a) &= \lim_{\varepsilon \to 0^+} \frac{2m}{\hbar^2}\int_{-a-\varepsilon}^{-a+\varepsilon} V(x)\psi(x)\,dx
\end{align*}Similarly, the other boundary conditions occur at x=+a.

Related to Double Delta Fuinction Potential - Tell me if Im correct please

1. What is a Double Delta Function Potential?

A Double Delta Function Potential is a mathematical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the interaction between a particle and a potential. It consists of two delta functions, which represent point-like interactions between the particle and the potential.

2. How is a Double Delta Function Potential different from a single delta function potential?

A single delta function potential only has one delta function, while a double delta function potential has two. This means that a double delta function potential has two point-like interactions, while a single delta function potential only has one. Additionally, the strength of the interactions may also differ between the two potentials.

3. What is the significance of using a Double Delta Function Potential?

A Double Delta Function Potential is often used in quantum mechanics because it allows for a simple and analytically solvable model. It can also be used to study the effects of multiple interactions on the behavior of a particle, which can provide insight into more complex systems.

4. Can a Double Delta Function Potential be used to model real-world systems?

While a Double Delta Function Potential can provide a useful approximation for some systems, it is not a perfect representation of real-world interactions. It is often used as a simplified model to help understand more complex systems, but it may not accurately reflect the behavior of a real-world system.

5. How is a Double Delta Function Potential solved mathematically?

To solve a Double Delta Function Potential, mathematical techniques such as the Green's function method or the Born approximation can be used. These methods involve solving the Schrödinger equation for the potential and finding the wave function and energy eigenvalues of the system. Alternatively, numerical methods can also be used to solve the potential.