Wavefunction in a delta potential well

In summary, the equation for a particle in the periodic delta function potential can be written in the form:##\psi (x) = C[\sin(kx) + e^{-iKa}\sin k(a-x)], \quad 0 \leq x \leq a##
1v1Dota2RightMeow

Homework Statement

Using the equations given, show that the wave function for a particle in the periodic delta function potential can be written in the form

##\psi (x) = C[\sin(kx) + e^{-iKa}\sin k(a-x)], \quad 0 \leq x \leq a##

Homework Equations

Given equations:

##\psi (x) =A\sin(kx) + B\cos(kx), \quad 0<x<a##
##A\sin(ka) = [e^{iKa} - \cos(ka)]B##

Note that ##k## and ##K## are different constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a bunch of stuff already but I can't seem to get to the answer.

Attempt 1. I evaluated ##\psi## at ##0## and at ##a## for both the final equation and the general equation and tried to see if I could come to some conclusion based on equating these, but no luck there.

Attempt 2. I tried working backwards and seeing if I could use the sine identity ##\sin(a-b) = \sin(a)\cos(b)-\cos(a)\sin(b)## but it only seems to make things more complicated.

Could someone just give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try multiplying ##\psi(x)## by ##\frac{\sin ka}{\sin ka}##.

vela said:
Try multiplying ##\psi(x)## by ##\frac{\sin ka}{\sin ka}##.
I see 3 ways to do something with what you've suggested. Here is one attempt:

##\psi(x) = \frac{Asin(kx)sin(ka)+Bcos(kx)sin(ka)}{sin(ka)}##
##=Asin(kx) + \frac{B[(1/2)(sin(ka+kx)+sin(ka-kx))]}{sin(ka)}##
##=Asin(kx)+\frac{A}{2(e^{iKa}-cos(ka))}[sin(ka+kx)+sin(ka-kx)]##
##=Asin(kx)+\frac{e^{-iKa}A}{2(1-e^{-iKa}cos(ka))}[sin(ka+kx)+sin(ka-kx)]##

This would almost be great if it weren't for that ##sin(ka+kx)## term. I don't know what to do with it.

There's a reason I said to multiply ##\psi## by ##\frac{\sin ka}{\sin ka}## rather than just the last term. See what you can do with the first term.

vela said:
There's a reason I said to multiply ##\psi## by ##\frac{\sin ka}{\sin ka}## rather than just the last term. See what you can do with the first term.
I expanded it out to this, but nothing cancels nicely.

##\psi (x) = \frac{A(sin(kx)sin(ka)-cos(kx)cos(ka))}{sin(ka)}+\frac{B((1/2)(sin(kx)cos(ka)+cos(kx)sin(ka)-sin(kx-ka)))}{sin(ka)}##

Should I have gone a different route?

1. What is a delta potential well?

A delta potential well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe a potential energy structure that resembles a well with infinitely high walls and a single, infinitely deep and narrow "spike" in the center. This potential well is often used to study the behavior of particles in confined spaces.

2. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a particle. It represents the probability amplitude of finding the particle at a certain position and time, and contains all the information about the particle's energy, momentum, and other physical properties.

3. How does the wavefunction behave in a delta potential well?

In a delta potential well, the wavefunction behaves differently depending on the position of the particle. Inside the well, the wavefunction is continuous and follows the Schrödinger equation. However, at the "spike" of the well, the wavefunction is discontinuous and experiences a sudden change in amplitude. This is known as a "wavefunction jump". Outside the well, the wavefunction is zero due to the infinitely high walls.

4. What is the significance of the wavefunction in a delta potential well?

The wavefunction in a delta potential well is significant because it provides insight into the behavior of particles in confined spaces. It can help us understand the energy levels and allowed states of a particle in such a potential, and can also be used to calculate other physical quantities such as the average position and momentum of the particle.

5. How does the shape of the delta potential well affect the wavefunction?

The shape of the delta potential well can significantly affect the behavior of the wavefunction. A deeper and narrower well will result in a larger "jump" in the wavefunction at the center, while a shallower and wider well will have a smaller jump. Additionally, the number of delta functions in the well can also impact the wavefunction, with more delta functions resulting in a more complex and oscillatory wavefunction.