Double Integral with Limits: Solving for (x+2y)^-(1/2)

In summary, you should always plot the graph to understand the region R, defined by the two given equations. See the attached graph. Now that you can see the required region of integration, describe it, so you can define the limits with respect to x and y: x-2y\le 1 which is equivalent to y\ge (x-1)/2, and x\ge y^2+ 1, so the region of integration lies between those two graphs as shown by sharks. They intersect when x= 2y+ 1= y^2+ 1 which reduces to y^2- 2y= y(y- 2)= 0 so y= 0 or y= 2. When y= 0, x= 2(
santais

Homework Statement

Calculate the integral:

[itex] ∫ ∫_R (x+2y)^{-(1/2)} dxdy [/itex]

Where R is defined as points (x,y) which satisfy:

x-2y ≤ 1 and x ≥ y2 + 1

Homework Equations

So basically I'm completely stuck on this exerzice. As far as I can see, you could make the x limit go from y2 +1 to infinity. However, looking at what I have to integrate, and the possible solutions, it doesn't seem to be a possible answer.

Also the y limits seems quite unclear how to determine.

I hope that some of you out there could give me a little push, to get in the right direction with this assigment :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi santais

You should always plot the graph to understand the region R, defined by the two given equations. See the attached graph.

Now that you can see the required region of integration, describe it, so you can define the limits with respect to x and y:
For ##y## fixed, ##x## varies from ##x = y^2 + 1## to ##x = 2y +1##
y varies from y = 0 to y = 2

Attachments

• region.png
    region.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
Try drawing out the region defined, showing the area you're integrating over first. Also integrate x as a function of y for your limits

So the limits would be somehow:

1 <= x <= 5 and (x-1)/2 <= y <= Sqrt[x-1]

Why "somehow"? Your constraints, [itex]x- 2y\le 1[/itex] which is equivalent to [itex]y\ge (x-1)/2[/itex], and [itex]x\ge y^2+ 1[/itex], mean that the region of integration lies between those two graphs as shown by sharks. They intersect when [itex]x= 2y+ 1= y^2+ 1[/itex] which reduces to [itex]y^2- 2y= y(y- 2)= 0[/itex] so y= 0 or y= 2. When y= 0, x= 2(0)+ 1= 1 and when y= 2, x= 2(2)+ 1= 5. The points of intersection of x= 2y+ 1 and [itex]x= y^2+ 1[/itex] are (1, 0) and (5, 2). To cover that we can take x ranging from 0 to 5. For each x, y ranges from the line, y= (x- 1)/2, to the parabola, [itex]y= \sqrt{x- 1}[/itex] (positive branch since, from the graph, we want the point to be above the x-axis).
[tex]\int_{x=1}^5\int_{y= (x-1)/2}^\sqrt{x-1} f(x,y)dydx[/tex]

But, especially because we are given the parabola in [itex]y^2[/itex], we could also do the integration with respect to y second. y ranges from 0 to 2 and, for each y, x ranges from the parabola, x= y^2+ 1, on the left, to the line, x= 2y+ 1, on the right. That is, we could also do the integral as
[tex]\int_{y= 0}^2\int_{x=y^2+1}^{2y+1} f(x,y) dxdy[/tex]

ARh okay. It makes so much more sense now :) And thanks for the fast replies.

Solved the assignment now. At least it corresponds to the answer I get in Mathematica, so I'll stick with this answer :)

Thanks for the replies!

Related to Double Integral with Limits: Solving for (x+2y)^-(1/2)

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the signed area between a two-dimensional region and the x-y plane. It is represented by the symbol ∫∫, with the limits of integration indicating the boundaries of the region.

2. What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral is used to find the volume or area between a two-dimensional region and the x-y plane. Double integrals require two sets of limits of integration, whereas single integrals only have one.

3. How do you evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you must first determine the bounds of integration, which are the limits for both the inner and outer integrals. Then, you can use techniques such as Fubini's Theorem or the method of substitution to solve the integral.

4. What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to find the volume of three-dimensional objects, calculate moments of inertia, and solve problems involving mass, density, and surface area.

5. Can double integrals be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, double integrals can be extended to multiple dimensions, such as triple integrals in three dimensions and n-fold integrals in n dimensions. These higher-dimensional integrals are used in advanced calculus and in applications such as vector calculus and multivariable statistics.