Double integral with polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the correct solution using polar coordinates in a double integral. The original poster struggles with finding the right values for ##\theta## and ##r##, and has tried multiple approaches including using a half semicircle and changing coordinates. The conversation also addresses the incorrect lower limit for ##r## and the difficulty of integrating using polar coordinates.
Archimedess
Homework Statement
Let ##A=\{(x,y)\in\mathbb{R}^2| 1\leq y \leq 2, x\geq 0, x^2+(y-1)^2\leq1\}## then ##\iint_A\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}## is
Relevant Equations
##x=r\cos\theta##
##y=r\sin\theta##
Hello there,
I'm struggling in this problem because i think i can't find the right ##\theta## or ##r##

Here's my work:

##\pi/4\leq\theta\leq\pi/2##
and
##0\leq r\leq 2\sin\theta##

So the integral would be: ##\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2}\int_{0}^{2\sin\theta}\sin\theta dr d\theta##

Which is equal to: ##\pi/4+1/2## but this is not the right solution..(##1/2## is the correct one)

Any help? Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you using polar coordinates?

I don't know another way to solve it.. i mean is not required but is the only way i know this time

Archimedess said:
I don't know another way to solve it.. i mean is not required but is the only way i know this time

Have you drawn a diagram of the region ##A##?

PeroK said:
Have you drawn a diagram of the region ##A##?

Yes, i notice that ##1\leq y \leq 2## and ##0\leq x \leq ?## the half semicircle

Archimedess said:
Yes, i notice that ##0\leq x \leq 1## and ##1\leq y \leq ?## the half semicircle
Your original post says ##1 \le y \le 2##.

PeroK said:
Your original post says ##1 \le y \le 2##.
Yes, sorry edited my post

The problem is now how do i write that half semicircle

Archimedess said:
Yes, sorry edited my post

The problem is now how do i write that half semicircle

Is it ##0 \le y \le 2##?

PeroK said:
You'll need to change coordinates first before you can easily use polar coordinates.
Sure, that's what i did in my post i think..

I was trying something different like: ##\int_{1}^{2}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{1-(y-1)^2}}\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}dxdy##

But i think is way more easy with polar coordinates once you find the right values..

PeroK said:
Is it ##0 \le y \le 2##?
Nope.. ##1 \le y \le 2## is correct

Archimedess said:

I was trying something different like: ##\int_{1}^{2}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{1-(y-1)^2}}\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}dxdy##

But i think is way more easy with polar coordinates once you find the right values..

You should be able to do the ##dy## integral first. But, it gets messy after that.

Archimedess said:

You're right. It does come out more easily using polar coodinates. But,
Archimedess said:
Here's my work:

##\pi/4\leq\theta\leq\pi/2##
and
##0\leq r\leq 2\sin\theta##

This is not right. The lower limit for ##r## is not ##0##.

This is not right. The lower limit for ##r## is not ##0##.
[/QUOTE]

Should it be 1? Even if i use 1 the solution is not right

Archimedess said:
Should it be 1? Even if i use 1 the solution is not right
It's a function of ##\theta##. It can't be constant.

1. What is a double integral with polar coordinates?

A double integral with polar coordinates is a mathematical technique used to calculate the area under a polar curve in a two-dimensional plane. It involves converting the Cartesian coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ) and then integrating over the resulting polar region.

2. How is a double integral with polar coordinates different from a regular double integral?

A double integral with polar coordinates is different from a regular double integral in that it takes into account the circular nature of polar coordinates. This means that the limits of integration and the integrand must be expressed in terms of polar coordinates, and the resulting region of integration is a polar region instead of a rectangular region.

3. What is the formula for calculating a double integral with polar coordinates?

The formula for calculating a double integral with polar coordinates is: ∬f(x,y) dA = ∫∫f(r,θ) r dr dθ, where the limits of integration for r and θ are determined by the polar region of integration and the integrand is expressed in terms of polar coordinates.

4. What are the advantages of using polar coordinates in a double integral?

Using polar coordinates in a double integral can make the integration process simpler and more efficient, especially when dealing with regions that have circular symmetry. It also allows for the calculation of areas and volumes of polar regions that would be difficult to calculate using Cartesian coordinates.

5. What are some real-world applications of double integrals with polar coordinates?

Double integrals with polar coordinates are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to calculate areas, volumes, and moments of inertia for objects with circular symmetry. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate the area under a polar probability distribution curve.