Double Integrals, Rectangular Region

In summary, the conversation discusses using the equation ∫∫kdA = k(b-a)(d-c) to show that 0 ≤ ∫∫sin∏xcos∏ydA ≤ 1/32, where R = [0,1/4]x[1/4,1/2]. The individual attempts at solving the problem are discussed, with the final answer being k=0.5. The reasoning behind this answer is also explained.
ohlala191785

Homework Statement

Using ∫∫kdA = k(b-a)(d-c), where f is a constant function f(x,y) = k and R = [a,b]x[c,d], show that 0 ≤ ∫∫sin∏xcos∏ydA ≤ 1/32, where R = [0,1/4]x[1/4,1/2].

Homework Equations

∫∫kdA = k(b-a)(d-c)
0 ≤ ∫∫sin∏xcos∏ydA ≤ 1/32

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to integrate ∫∫sin∏xcos∏ydA, but that didn't utilize the ∫∫kdA = k(b-a)(d-c) part and I didn't use the fact that ∫∫sin∏xcos∏ydA is between 0 and 1/32. I don't know how to incorporate all of these aspects to show that 0 ≤ ∫∫sin∏xcos∏ydA ≤ 1/32.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you were to show that 0 ≤ sin∏xcos∏y ≤ k everywhere in R, what would you need k to be in order to prove the desired answer?

k=1/32.
Sorry, I still don't know how to proceed.

ohlala191785 said:
k=1/32.
No, you're not taking into account the area of R. Try that again.

Ohh is it (1/32)(1/4-0)(1/2-1/4)?

Wait hold on is it ∫∫kdA = 1/32, for R = [0,1/4]x[1/4,1/2]? So k(1/4-0)(1/2-1/4)=1/32.

ohlala191785 said:
k(1/4-0)(1/2-1/4)=1/32.
Yes. So what is k? Can you see why sin∏xcos∏y <= that everywhere in R?

k=0.5 I graphed sin∏xcos∏y on Mathematica and saw that for x in [0,1/4] and y in [1/4,1/2], z is between 0 and 0.5. And solving for k=0.5 agrees with the graph.

I'm also wondering if you can know that z is from [0,0.5] without graphing it on a computer or something?

ohlala191785 said:
k=0.5 I graphed sin∏xcos∏y on Mathematica and saw that for x in [0,1/4] and y in [1/4,1/2], z is between 0 and 0.5. And solving for k=0.5 agrees with the graph.

I'm also wondering if you can know that z is from [0,0.5] without graphing it on a computer or something?

sin(pi*x) is less than sqrt(2)/2 on [0,1/4]. cos(pi*x) is less than sqrt(2)/2 on [1/4,1/2]. So?

So since the min of sin(pi*x) is 0 and max is sqrt(2)/2, and it's the same for cos(pi*x), then the min of their product is 0 and max is 0.5. Is that correct?

ohlala191785 said:
So since the min of sin(pi*x) is 0 and max is sqrt(2)/2, and it's the same for cos(pi*x), then the min of their product is 0 and max is 0.5. Is that correct?

Right, on those particular intervals.

Alright then. Thank you!

Related to Double Integrals, Rectangular Region

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that calculates the volume under a 3-dimensional surface. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a rectangular region in the x-y plane.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in a 2-dimensional plane, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface in a 3-dimensional space. Additionally, a double integral has two limits of integration, one for each variable, while a single integral only has one limit.

3. What is a rectangular region?

A rectangular region is a 2-dimensional shape whose sides are parallel to the x and y axes. It can be described by four points, where the x-coordinate of the lower left point is less than the x-coordinate of the upper right point and the y-coordinate of the lower left point is less than the y-coordinate of the upper right point.

4. How do you find the limits of integration for a double integral over a rectangular region?

The limits of integration for a double integral over a rectangular region are determined by the x and y coordinates of the lower left and upper right corners of the region. The x limits are set as the first and second coordinates of the points, while the y limits are set as the third and fourth coordinates.

5. What is the significance of a double integral over a rectangular region?

A double integral over a rectangular region has applications in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, economics, and statistics. It allows for the calculation of important values such as volume, mass, and probability. It is also used to solve optimization problems and in the computation of multiple integrals.