Double major in physics and engineering physics?

In summary: I'm from the US, and I've never seen anyone looking for an "Engineering Physics" major. Are things different where you are?
ROFLMAO!

Now, that's just being pedantic!

Physics news on Phys.org
Something worth noting here is that while we all (well, most of us) make reasonable judgments on what a label entails and what to call people, I've found in personal experience (and this is actually well known among job hunters) that most recruiters can't.

Many recruiters and human resource departments have only rudimentary knowledge of what their candidates will actually be doing, and because of this they can make little to no reasonable judgment over whether a candidate with a different sounding degree could equally fill the role.

If their little list says "Electrical Engineer", you may be hard pressed to get passed them with an Engineering Physics degree.

Proper networking of course can solve this problem.

So, for the sake of expediency I'll just pretend that the last 30 posts didn't happen. Anyway, at my undergrad institution (UIUC), engineering physics was considered by many to be the "real" physics degree, while LAS (i.e., regular) physics was considered to be easier to get. As a result, most people wanting to continue in physics would do engineering physics. Now, that might be particular to UIUC, and it might not be. Either way, I'd try to ask someone if that is the case.

PhysicalAnomaly said:
ROFLMAO!

Now, that's just being pedantic!

On purpose. Where is the line drawn?

Locrian said:
Something worth noting here is that while we all (well, most of us) make reasonable judgments on what a label entails and what to call people, I've found in personal experience (and this is actually well known among job hunters) that most recruiters can't.

Many recruiters and human resource departments have only rudimentary knowledge of what their candidates will actually be doing, and because of this they can make little to no reasonable judgment over whether a candidate with a different sounding degree could equally fill the role.

If their little list says "Electrical Engineer", you may be hard pressed to get passed them with an Engineering Physics degree.

Proper networking of course can solve this problem.

The person I mentioned who has a Master's in Physics and works at my university as a software/comp sci person said that it's more important to tell the recruiter what your skills are. If it says "Electrical Engineering degree required" and you have a physics degree, go anyway, and just explain what you can do. I've already learned a lot of EE stuff, and only taken 2 classes so far and worked over the summer. I can't claim an EE degree, but by the time I graduate next year I'll know a lot more.