Double-slit experiment of Young

In summary, the conversation discusses the double-slit experiment and the effects of using two different wavelengths of light. The speaker also mentions the statistical distribution of photons and the presence of all colors on the screen when using white light. The main question is how many light regions will be seen on the screen when using two monochromatic lights, and a diagram is provided for reference.
ntk
What will we see on the screen in double-slit experiment if I use two radiation have wavelength l_1 and l_2 . I know there will be two systems of interference fringe, call I and II. But what if one light region of I is coincident one dark region of II ?
And then how many light regions do we see on the screen ?
Have to say that I've never do this experiment :frown:

Is it a very stuppid question ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Very interesting question. It is investigations like these that teach us more about nature. The double slit experiment is basically an interaction between matter (the double slit) and photons (the monochromatic light). Investigations of such seems to indicate that the photons motion is determined by the slits, that is where the photon diffracted is determined by the presence of the slits. The statistical distribution of the photons in the pattern depends on the wavelength and the distance between the slits.

Actually, if white light, which contains all the wavelengths of the spectrum, is shined at a set of double slits, you will see all of the colors on the screen(behind the slits) because each color(wavelength) is strongest at a different distance from the center.

Thank you very much.
Actually, the problem i have to solve is to determine number of light regions if i use two monochromatic lights in the double-slit experiment

What do you mean by the number of light regions? Bright bands per unit distance?

ntk said:
What will we see on the screen in double-slit experiment if I use two radiation have wavelength l_1 and l_2 .
Use the diagram here :
http://www.physics.northwestern.edu/ugrad/vpl/optics/diffraction.html"

Should help you sort it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Double-slit experiment of Young

1. What is the double-slit experiment of Young?

The double-slit experiment of Young is a famous physics experiment that was first conducted in the early 1800s by Thomas Young. It involves shining a beam of light through two small slits and observing the interference pattern that is created on a screen behind the slits.

2. What is the purpose of the double-slit experiment?

The purpose of the double-slit experiment is to demonstrate the wave-like nature of light, as well as the phenomenon of interference. It also provides evidence for the particle-wave duality of light, which means that light can behave as both a particle and a wave.

3. How does the double-slit experiment work?

The experiment involves shining a beam of light, usually from a laser, through two small slits that are placed close together. The light passing through the slits diffracts and creates a pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen placed behind the slits. This pattern is caused by the interference of the light waves from the two slits.

4. What is the significance of the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is significant because it provides evidence for the wave-like behavior of light. It also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the fundamental nature of matter and energy.

5. What are some real-world applications of the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment has been used in various scientific fields, including optics, quantum mechanics, and even biology. In optics, it has helped in the development of diffraction grating, which is used to disperse light into its component colors. It has also been used in quantum cryptography and in studying the behavior of particles at the quantum level.