Double-slit experiment question

In summary, the question is asking for the position of the first maximum in terms of angle and y-displacement. The first maximum is in the center and is determined by the Young's double slit formula.
jairusgarcia
The question goes like this,
From the 2-slit interference experiment, determine the position of the 1st maximum if lambda=400nm, d=1mm and D=10cm.

I've been reading through the experiment through external sites and none had given an example near the question. The question is, should i use Young's formula? What should i do first?

Thanks! ^_^

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram - it's just trig.
Put all the dimensions in the same units.

mgb_phys said:
it's just trig.
Put all the dimensions in the same units.

how? i mean, draw a triangle and input the measurements? when the problem says find the maximum, is that the central maximum where n=0?

jairusgarcia said:
when the problem says find the maximum, is that the central maximum where n=0?
Since the central maximum is always in the center, that wouldn't be much of a challenge, would it? The first maximum means the first non-central maximum: where m = 1 (or n = 1, depending on your notation) in the Young's double slit formula. (Read this: Double Slit Interference)

ok. since there was a calculator there, i just inputted the values. back to the main question: the question asks the position. is the position in terms of what units? the angle and the y-displacement?

I assume that they want distance from the central maximum, which is the y-displacement.

ok thanks. last question. what is the physical explanation for the y-displacement? (sorry for this question. I am just confused)

In simple terms it's the point on the screen where the difference in distance from each slit is 1 wavelength.
Here the two rays of light are in phase - the high points of the waves coincide - they add to give a maximum (bright point).
Where the difference is half a wavelength, the maxmum of one aligns with the minimum of another and they combine to give a minima (dark point)

thanks for all the help!

Related to Double-slit experiment question

What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a classic experiment in quantum physics that involves shining a beam of particles, such as photons, through two slits onto a screen. The resulting interference pattern on the screen shows the wave-like behavior of particles, suggesting that they can act as both particles and waves.

Why is the double-slit experiment important?

The double-slit experiment is important because it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter. It also challenges our understanding of reality and the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. The results of the experiment have significant implications for our understanding of the nature of particles and the universe as a whole.

Who first conducted the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment was first conducted by English scientist Thomas Young in the early 1800s. However, it was not until the 20th century, with the advancements in technology and quantum mechanics, that the experiment became widely recognized and studied.

What are the possible interpretations of the results of the double-slit experiment?

There are several interpretations of the results of the double-slit experiment, including the Copenhagen interpretation, which states that particles exist in a state of superposition and only collapse into a definite state when observed. The Many Worlds interpretation suggests that every possible outcome of the experiment actually occurs in different parallel universes. Other interpretations include the Pilot Wave theory and the Consistent Histories interpretation.

How is the double-slit experiment relevant to everyday life?

While the double-slit experiment may seem abstract and disconnected from everyday life, it has significant implications for technology and our understanding of the world. The principles of quantum mechanics, which the experiment is based on, are used in many modern technologies, such as computers and smartphones. Furthermore, the results of the experiment challenge our perception of reality and encourage us to think about the fundamental nature of the universe.