Double Slit experiment separation

In summary: You should get something in meters, which makes sense since you are solving for distance. In summary, the question is asking for the distance between two bright fringes on a viewing screen in a double-slit experiment with a given wavelength and slit separation. To solve for this, the equation y=mλL/d can be used, where d represents the distance between the slits, L is the distance between the screen and the grating, and m is the order of the bright fringe. By plugging in the given values, the final answer is in meters.
Noriko Kamachi

Homework Statement

A double-spit experiment is performed with light of wavelength 600 nm. A wide viewing screen is 2m behind the grating. What is the distance between the two m=2 bright fringes on the screen? The slit separation given is 0.1 mm.

Homework Equations

Given the wavelength and distance I am assuming y = mλL/d makes the most sense for the equation to solve this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I make d=(.1*10^-3)
Wavelength given=600 nm so I make that (600*10^-9)
and my distance and screen are both 2 so I enter the equation as:
y=((2)(2)*(600*10^-9)/(0.1*10^-3)
= (2.4*10^-2) mm as my solution. It looks weird as an answer though. Did I tackle this problem correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Noriko Kamachi said:
I make d=(.1*10^-3)
What are the units for d and all the other numbers you calculated? Why do you say the final answer is in mm?

kuruman said:
What are the units for d and all the other numbers you calculated? Why do you say the final answer is in mm?

d is the distance so its unit would be m and i assumed the final answer would be nm because I would be measuring the final distance in terms of wavelength?

Noriko Kamachi said:
y=((2)(2)*(600*10^-9)/(0.1*10^-3)
In this equation, put units next to each number and see what comes out.

What is the "Double Slit" experiment separation?

The "Double Slit" experiment separation is a famous experiment in quantum physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

Why is the "Double Slit" experiment separation important?

The "Double Slit" experiment separation is important because it shows that light can behave as both a wave and a particle, depending on how it is observed. This has significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of light and matter.

How is the "Double Slit" experiment separation performed?

The "Double Slit" experiment separation is typically performed by shining a beam of light, such as a laser, through two slits in a barrier, and then observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen placed behind the slits. The distance between the slits and the screen, as well as the wavelength of the light, can be varied to produce different interference patterns.

What does the separation between the slits in the "Double Slit" experiment affect?

The separation between the slits in the "Double Slit" experiment affects the interference pattern produced on the screen. A smaller separation between the slits will result in a wider interference pattern, while a larger separation will result in a narrower pattern.

What do the results of the "Double Slit" experiment tell us about light?

The results of the "Double Slit" experiment tell us that light can behave as both a wave and a particle, and that its behavior is influenced by how it is observed. This has important implications for our understanding of the quantum nature of light and matter.