Double Tower of Hanoi Puzzle: Minimum Moves & Recurrence Relation

• Thread starter hansel13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tower
In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the double tower of Hanoi puzzle contains 2n discs with n different sizes, where each size has two identical discs. The discs are initially stacked on one pole in decreasing size. The minimum number of moves needed to solve the puzzle is a1 = 3 and the recurrence relation is an = 2an-1 + 2. The discs can be moved in pairs, making the total number of moves 2(2^n-1) = 2^(n+1) - 2.
hansel13
The double tower of Hanoi puzzle contains 2n discs. There are n different sizes, two
of each size. Initially one of the poles contains all the disks placed on top of each other in decreasing size. Discs of the same size are identical. You are allowed to
place discs of the same size on top of each other. Let an be the minimum number of moves
need to solve the puzzle. Find a recurrence relation for a1, a2, a3, ...

This is what I came up with, and wanted to see if it was right:
a1 = 3
an = 2an-1 + 2.

Is this correct?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could explain how the recurrence relation was obtained?

Well a1 = 3 because When n is 1, we have 2 discs. There are 3 moves to get the discs to the other peg (1,2,1)

And I have problems trying to figure the the recurrence relation, not sure how to find it from the information we are given.

Last edited:
Why is a1 = 3? Can't you solve it in two moves by moving the discs one after the other to the target rod? Since the two discs are "identical," this should be a solution, right? Or are the discs also labeled, and need to be stacked in the same exact order on the target rod?

Also, I have no idea how to read your notation for moving the discs.

I see nothing difficult about this problem. You start with the disks in order of size, so each pair of disks of the same size is together. Once you move the top disk of such a pair, you can, and should, immediately move the next disk on to of it. Thus, we can think of each "pair" as a single disk and are back to the original problem. The only difference is that it takes 2 moves to move each pair. The number of moves is just 2 times the number of moves in "single" Towers of Hanoi, [itex]2(2^n- 1)= 2^{n+1}- 2[/itex].

Moo Of Doom said:
Why is a1 = 3? Can't you solve it in two moves by moving the discs one after the other to the target rod? Since the two discs are "identical," this should be a solution, right? Or are the discs also labeled, and need to be stacked in the same exact order on the target rod?

Also, I have no idea how to read your notation for moving the discs.

Sorry, cleaned up my notation. Got myself mixed up with another problem when I was writing up the problem. EDITED.

And I understand now. I thought by 2n, we had 2n different sizes. I should have read the instructions better.

so assuming we start on the leftmost peg...
a1 = 2 (Move first disc to adjacent peg. Move second disc on top of first disc because they are the same size.)
a2 = 6
(Move Disc1 to middle peg.
Move Disc 2 to middle peg on top Disc1.
Move Disc 3 to right peg.
Move Disc 4 to right peg on top of Disc 3.
Move Disc 2 to the right peg on top of Disc 3 and 4.
Move Disc 1 to the right peg on top of Disc 2, 3 and 4.)

I think I got it now.

1. What is the Double Tower of Hanoi?

The Double Tower of Hanoi is a variation of the classic Tower of Hanoi puzzle, where instead of one set of discs, there are two sets of discs that need to be moved from one tower to another according to the rules of the puzzle.

2. What are the rules of the Double Tower of Hanoi?

The rules of the Double Tower of Hanoi are the same as the classic Tower of Hanoi puzzle. The discs must be moved one at a time, and a larger disc cannot be placed on top of a smaller disc. The goal is to move all the discs from the first tower to the third tower, using the second tower as an intermediate step.

3. How many discs are used in the Double Tower of Hanoi?

The number of discs used in the Double Tower of Hanoi can vary, but it is typically an even number. For example, if there are 8 discs, there will be 4 discs in each set. However, the puzzle can also be solved with an odd number of discs.

4. What is the minimum number of moves required to solve the Double Tower of Hanoi?

The minimum number of moves required to solve the Double Tower of Hanoi is 2n - 2, where n is the number of discs. So, for example, if there are 8 discs, the minimum number of moves required is 28 - 2 = 254 moves.

5. What is the significance of the Double Tower of Hanoi?

The Double Tower of Hanoi is a more challenging variation of the classic Tower of Hanoi puzzle, and it is often used as a problem-solving exercise in computer science and mathematics. It is also used as a brain teaser and a tool for improving logical thinking and problem-solving skills.