Double transpose of a linear transformation

In summary: I thought that in maths we have to explain everything... :/In summary, there is a conversation about a book with errors and the difficulty in determining whether the errors are new or simply misunderstood. The conversation also delves into the definition of Gamma, transpose, and how to properly apply them in a proof. There is a discussion about whether a certain line in the proof is necessary or not, and the individual expresses their paranoia due to past experiences with proofs being deemed unnecessary by their professor.
SqueeSpleen
I'm using a book that has a loot of errors (luckly most of them are easy to recognize, like a = instead of a ≠ or viceversa, but some are way more serious), and I'm not sure if it's a new error or a thing I don't understand.
Either I didn't understood all the steps of the proof or the correct equality is:
[itex]\Gamma (f(X)) = f^{tt}(X)[/itex]
Instead:
[itex]\Gamma (f(X)) = f^{tt}(\Gamma(X))[/itex]

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1603/bookkx.png
Attemp to translation:
for all X [itex]\in[/itex] V (proof: being both members functions of W* in K, let [itex]\psi \in[/itex] W* then,
* I think they forgot to close the parenthesis.

Gamma is defined as the explicit isomorfism from V to V**
PD: There's a way of avoiding having to erase the post template every time you click the preview button?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SqueeSpleen! :smile:
SqueeSpleen said:
Either I didn't understood all the steps of the proof or the correct equality is:
[itex]\Gamma (f(X)) = f^{tt}(X)[/itex]
Instead:
[itex]\Gamma (f(X)) = f^{tt}(\Gamma(X))[/itex]

if it was ftt(X), then ftt would have to act on V, which it doesn't (and it would be represented by a diagonal arrow)

also, which line of the proof do you think should not have a Gamma?
PD: There's a way of avoiding having to erase the post template every time you click the preview button?

if only life were that simple! o:)

I thought that because:
Gamma goes from V to V** or W to W**
Transpose goes from:
Hom(V,W) to Hom(W*,V*)
If f goes from V to W, the tranpose goes from W* to V*
If we use it again, we got:
(V,W)tt=(W*,V*)t=(V**,W**)
And gamma of f goes from V** to W**

I understood this, so the equality is right, but I still don't get the whole proof; I'm not really sure why the gamma appears after the third equal sign, but I think it's the same reason why it dissapears after the first equal.
(I thought I understood it 2 days ago, I re-read it and I thought I didn't really previously understood it... I think I'd better sleep after messing everything up).

I deteled this fragment and I'll post it below so the thread I'll be a little easier to follow to others.

Last edited:
SqueeSpleen said:
… I'm not really sure why the gamma appears after the third equal sign, but I think it's the same reason why it dissapears after the first equal.

you keep changing this!

yes, that's correct … both the first and the third equals signs come from the definition of Gamma :wink:

[itex]\Gamma_{v}:V^{*}\rightarrow K[/itex]
[itex]\Gamma_{v}(\varphi )=\varphi (V)[/itex]
[itex]\Gamma : V \rightarrow V^{**}[/itex]
[itex]\Gamma(V) = \Gamma_{v}[/itex]
[itex]f^{t}: W^{*} \rightarrow V^{*}, f^{t}(\varphi )=\varphi f[/itex]

[itex](\Gamma (f(X)))(\psi )=[/itex]
We apply the definition of gamma, letting f(X) be "v"
[itex]=(\Gamma_{(f(X))})(\psi )=[/itex]
We apply the definition of gamma_v, letting f(X) be "v"
[itex]=\psi (f(X))=[/itex]
We apply the definition of gamma_v, letting X be the "v"
[itex]=\Gamma_{X}(\psi f)=[/itex]
We apply the definition of gamma, letting X be the "v"
[itex]=\Gamma(X)(\psi f)=[/itex]
We apply the definition of transpose with ψ being the "[itex]\varphi[/itex]"
[itex]=\Gamma(X)(f^{t}(\psi))=[/itex]
Now, as [itex]f^{t}[/itex] goes from W* to V*, it's tranpose goes from V** to W**, so this time [itex]\Gamma(X)[/itex] is the
"[itex]\varphi[/itex]" of the definition of tranpose.
Finally:
[itex]=(f^{tt}(\Gamma(X)))(\psi )[/itex]

I think I earlier forget there were 2 differents gammas and messed up everything.

Last edited:
yes … to put it simply:

just as ft(ψ) = ψf,

so ftt(Γ(X)) = (ft)t(Γ(X)) = Γ(X)(ft) :smile:

(and now insert a ψ, and you get the last-but-one equals sign)

I don't know if you saw my last edit.
It's everything ok? I'll handwrite it if it's everything ok :P

i'm not sure what you mean by "being the φ" :confused:
SqueeSpleen said:
[itex]=\Gamma(X)(\psi f)=[/itex]
We apply the definition of transpose with ψf being the "[itex]\varphi[/itex]"
Now, as [itex]f^{t}[/itex] goes from W* to V*, it's tranpose goes from V** to W**, so this time [itex]\Gamma(X)[/itex] is the
Finally:

… when you apply the definition of transpose, you are interchanging (transposing!) two things

the first time, the two things were ψ and f … ψf = ftψ

the second time they were Γ(X) and ft … Γ(X)ft = (ft)tΓ(X) :wink:

We play a little with the parenthesis
[itex]=(\Gamma(X)f^{t})(\psi)=[/itex]
Finally:

Now it's ok? If it isn't please explain me because I fail to see what's wrong.

(just got up :zzz:)

it's not wrong, but you can miss out the whole line …
SqueeSpleen said:

and just write …
[itex]=(\Gamma(X)f^{t})(\psi)[/itex]
[itex]=(f^{tt}(\Gamma(X)))(\psi )[/itex] :wink:

(if you feel an explanation is needed, simply write "by definition of transpose")

Sorry :P
But I'm being a bit paranoid after my professor said one proof I made in a test, that used:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/demostracionh.png/
I used this lemma and proved it, and she said it wasn't necessary because we can use the things saw on the book, so she didn't even bothered to check if it was right.
And I also used this:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/observacion.png/
And the whole proof was wrong because I didn't explained why [itex]V^{o}=0[/itex]
So after that, this is my face when I write things for linear algebra:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaxAF4gMY1BDOCVcq1cT8KzF12RV5s4TRhS5Sd-Y9_fkHXUiBc.jpg

I try to specify as much as possible why I'm doing everything.

SqueeSpleen said:
I try to specify as much as possible why I'm doing everything.

yes, but most of your extra line isn't an explanation of why the next line works, it's more a description of the consequences…
SqueeSpleen said:

… the only reason why the line works is that ab = bta, and everything else is superfluous

in an exam, if you write too much, the examiner will think that you don't really understand what the reason is, and that you're just writing everything you know in the hope that it contains the important part!

in maths proofs, you get marks for being concise :smile:

I think that English+maths was too much, it took me 3 replies to understand what you were trying to say me xD
Thank you again, I'll try to be more concise here (I usually are in handwritting because I hate to handwrite, math was my favourite subject in elementary school because it was the one I needed to write the least...), while I love to write in the computer, and I'll stop right know because I don't want to spam anymore.

Last edited:

What is the double transpose of a linear transformation?

The double transpose of a linear transformation is a mathematical operation that involves taking the transpose of a matrix twice. It is represented as ATT and is equivalent to the original matrix A.

How is the double transpose used in linear algebra?

The double transpose is used in linear algebra to prove certain properties of matrices and to simplify calculations. It is also used to show that the transpose of a product of matrices is equal to the product of the transposes of those matrices in reverse order.

Is the double transpose commutative?

Yes, the double transpose is commutative, meaning that ATT is equal to A for any matrix A. This is because taking the transpose twice results in the original matrix, regardless of the order in which it is done.

What are some real-world applications of the double transpose?

The double transpose has various applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and economics. It is used in image processing and computer graphics, as well as in solving systems of linear equations in physics and economics problems.

How does the double transpose relate to the inverse of a matrix?

The double transpose is closely related to the inverse of a matrix. In fact, a matrix is invertible if and only if its double transpose is equal to its inverse. This is known as the double transpose lemma, and it is a useful tool in proving the invertibility of matrices.