Security problems with my home PC

In summary, the PC at home with Windows 7, 32-bit is being affected by videos of very bad taste downloading themselves, along with QuickHeal antivirus installed and updated to the latest version. We perform a full system scan (including that of the full hard disk) at least once a month, but the problem has reached its height today. We switched on parental control in QuickHeal, but the `temp` folder is still getting affected with obliterate content. Any ideas about how we can prevent all these?
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have a PC at my home with Windows 7, 32-bit. It is used by my father and me, on the administrator account, which is the only user in the computer.

Since a few months, while clearing the contents of the "temp" folder (accessed by %temp% from Run option in start), I am finding that several videos of bad taste (very very bad content) have downloaded by itself. This is taking place at least once in a week, depending on how much we are using the Internet.

We have QuickHeal antivirus installed and updated to the latest version. We perform a full system scan (including that of the full hard disk) at least once a month. Malware protection, browser protection, firewall are all switched on. Still, we are facing this problem.

But today, it reached its height. I was doing some work on the Internet with Opera browser, when suddenly it just started opening new tabs, and absolutely horrible websites started cropping up by themselves, and also started asking for downloading videos. I was very scared, and immediately uninstalled the browser.

But when I opened Chrome, the same thing started happening again!

I am really scared now. All my data in the computer is backed up, so I am not thinking about that too much. But I'm really worried about why this is happening?

I switched on parental control in QuickHeal, and after that, it seems the problem has stopped. But the `temp` folder is still getting affected with obliterate content.

Any ideas about how I can prevent all these? My Internet is through broadband connection over cable, with no WiFi connection till the gateway.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tried installing a firewall like ZoneAlarm? It will let you know whenever any application is attempting to connect to the internet and will let you block them. You can also see what the application is so that you can investigate further.

Borg said:
Have you tried installing a firewall like ZoneAlarm? It will let you know whenever any application is attempting to connect to the internet and will let you block them. You can also see what the application is so that you can investigate further.
Can it be installed with QuickHeal?

Wrichik Basu said:
Can it be installed with QuickHeal?
Probably. I'm not familiar with QuickHeal but, firewalls and antivirus tools usually don't interfere with each other. The real issue is likely the malware. They sometimes block access to sites or applications that would cripple them.

In my experience, it is generally difficult to completely get rid of malware once your system has been deeply infected.
Firewall can prevent outside contact, but to be able to use that effectively, you need to intimately know what applications you are using, and how they connect to internet.
YMMV, but in past, I've had to reformat by system and do a clean install of windows to completely get rid of malware.

Wrichik Basu said:
Any ideas about how I can prevent all these?

The best way is to be very careful when you browse the net. You may inadvertently click some link on a site and sooner or later, less or more, open the gates of doom in terms of personal annoyance and functionality of your computer. There is no single antivirus or antimalware package in general (even the commercial ones) that can detect and eliminate every possible threat, so your best bet in your case is to try other antimalware software by uninstalling your current one and install another till the malware is detected and eliminated. If you don't want to get through all this your other option is to format your system. Before doing so take care to keep copies of files that you need and double check them if they are infected.

As for firewall, it's been a long time since the last time I used zone alarm but it's definitely a good product. I personally use windows firewall at home and I have no problem but again, my main line of defense is keep an eye open while browsing.

Likes Wrichik Basu
PC Magazine doesn't rate quick heal very highly. "Con" comments:

Failed to completely block detected malware in testing. So-so phishing protection. Firewall failed Web-based attack tests. Firewall program control limited. Anti-Keylogger proved ineffective in testing.

Likes Wrichik Basu
phinds said:
PC Magazine doesn't rate quick heal very highly. "Con" comments:

Failed to completely block detected malware in testing. So-so phishing protection. Firewall failed Web-based attack tests. Firewall program control limited. Anti-Keylogger proved ineffective in testing.
Didn't know about that. Maybe we'll consider changing the antivirus soon.

Wrichik Basu said:
Maybe we'll consider changing the antivirus soon.
The problem is, that any decent harmful software will try to interfere with the installation of a new antivirus.
Generally, it's not an easy job to clean up an infected system.
I think the best would be to install a complete new system on a new drive, and then when it is up and secure, attach the old drive (as a removable) and scan/clean it from the new system. Given the circumstances it's better to not have any other working computer on the local network during installation.
After scanning you can move your data securely to the new system.

Last edited:
Likes Wrichik Basu and taverner
Wrichik Basu said:
Didn't know about that. Maybe we'll consider changing the antivirus soon.

Just google norton internet security free download and only download the one from norton, no matter how many others appear above it on the list as you don't really know where they come from. It is a 3 month trial version which will at least clear up any nasties you may have collected over the years. MacAfee provides a similar trial product.

1. How can I prevent malware and viruses from infecting my home PC?

There are several steps you can take to prevent malware and viruses from infecting your home PC. First, make sure to keep your operating system and antivirus software up-to-date. You should also be cautious when clicking on links or downloading files from unknown sources. Additionally, avoid using public Wi-Fi networks and be careful when opening email attachments.

2. What should I do if my home PC has been hacked?

If you suspect that your home PC has been hacked, the first thing you should do is disconnect it from the internet. This will prevent the hacker from accessing any of your personal information. Next, run a full system scan with your antivirus software to detect and remove any malicious programs. It is also important to change your passwords and enable two-factor authentication on your accounts.

3. Are there any specific security measures I should take when using online banking or making purchases on my home PC?

Yes, there are a few precautions you should take when performing sensitive tasks such as online banking or making purchases on your home PC. First, make sure to only use secure websites with a valid SSL certificate. You should also avoid using public Wi-Fi networks and be cautious when entering personal information. Additionally, consider using a virtual private network (VPN) for added security.

4. How can I ensure my home PC is backed up in case of a security breach or hardware failure?

You can ensure your home PC is backed up by regularly saving important files to an external hard drive or using cloud storage services. There are also backup software programs available that can automatically back up your files on a schedule. In the event of a security breach or hardware failure, you can easily restore your important files from the backup.

5. Should I be concerned about my home PC's security if I have a strong password?

While having a strong password is important, it is not the only aspect of home PC security. You should also make sure to keep your operating system and software up-to-date, use a reputable antivirus program, and be cautious when downloading or opening files. It is also a good idea to enable a firewall and use a different password for each account to strengthen your overall security.