Drawing Light Beam Reflected in Mirror: A & B's Analysis

• Thread starter PintoCorreia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, at question A, you may have connected the point behind the mirror (A') with eye B. And found the correct light path that way. But at question B, you can use the point behind the mirror of B (B') instead and the same arguments will work.
PintoCorreia

Homework Statement

A. Draw accurately in the figure the light beam that goes from Object A to eye B after being reflected on the mirror. It must be consistent with the mirror principle!

jZyaqdH.png

B. At question A. you may have connected the point behind the mirror (A') with eye B.
And found the correct light path that way.

b. Will that also work if you use the point behind the mirror of B (B') instead? Do you get the same result?
Use mathematical arguments for your judgement!

Homework Equations

mirror reflection rules

The Attempt at a Solution

Question A:
I tried to draw point A' and connected that to B. The purple line is the normal line (the imaginary line that is perpendicular to the mirror) And the angle between the mirror and A is the same as the angle between the mirror and B.

XIVwfYH.png

Question B: I think this is true, I can draw the same lines, but I don't know what is meant by 'mathematical arguments'

Physics news on Phys.org
When they say use mathematical arguments, they mean to use what you know about geometry. Call the point where the ray strikes the mirror point M. For part a, you can show that since the angle between line segment MA and the mirror is the same as the angle between line segment MA' and the mirror, it must be true from basic geometry that the angle between segment MB and the mirror is the same as these other two angles.

What if you drew the line segment going to B' instead? How would this argument go?

-So do you need to proof similarity or congruence?

I guess You can show that the angle between line segment MB and the mirror is the same as the angle between line segment MB' and the mirror.

"it must be true from basic geometry that the angle between segment MB and the mirror is the same as these other two angles." Don't you mean those 3 other angles? Since there are 4 angles in total and you only mentioned the one between MB and the mirror.

cepheid said:
When they say use mathematical arguments, they mean to use what you know about geometry. Call the point where the ray strikes the mirror point M. For part a, you can show that since the angle between line segment MA and the mirror is the same as the angle between line segment MA' and the mirror, it must be true from basic geometry that the angle between segment MB and the mirror is the same as these other two angles.

What if you drew the line segment going to B' instead? How would this argument go?

PintoCorreia said:
-So do you need to proof similarity or congruence?

I guess You can show that the angle between line segment MB and the mirror is the same as the angle between line segment MB' and the mirror.

"it must be true from basic geometry that the angle between segment MB and the mirror is the same as these other two angles." Don't you mean those 3 other angles? Since there are 4 angles in total and you only mentioned the one between MB and the mirror.

Huh? I explicitly mentioned three angles in my post:

1. Angle between segment MA and mirror
2. Angle between segment MA' and mirror
3. Angle between segment MB and mirror

What I was saying was that for part A, you can use geometry to show that the third one in the list is equal to the first two (which were "those other two angles").

How many similarity proofs do you need? Do you to proof that all 4 triangles are similar? (A-mirror-M is similar to A'-mirror-M is similar to B-mirror-M is similar to B'-mirror-M) Or can you do it in less steps?

Well you can prove that triangle A-mirror-M is similar to triangle A'-mirror-M, and that's how you know that the angle between segment MA and the mirror equals the angle between segment MA' and the mirror.

However, I don't think you need a similarity proof for the last bit, because you have this property:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_angles

I don't even know whether your teacher wants a rigorous geometric proof or not. It might be sufficient to just state that these angles are equal (EDIT because this is a known result of geometry)

The real point I was trying to make in my first post was just that if you draw the point at B' instead of A', you can still use the exact same sequence of arguments to show that angle of incidence = angle of reflection.

1. How does the angle of incidence affect the angle of reflection in a mirror?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which the light beam hits the mirror, is equal to the angle of reflection, which is the angle at which the light beam bounces off the mirror. This is known as the law of reflection and is true for all types of mirrors, whether flat, curved, or concave.

2. Can the reflected light beam in a mirror be drawn as a straight line?

Yes, the reflected light beam in a mirror can be drawn as a straight line. This is because light travels in a straight line and the mirror's surface is smooth and flat, causing the light to reflect in a predictable manner.

3. What is the difference between specular and diffuse reflection?

Specular reflection occurs when light reflects off a smooth surface, such as a mirror, at an angle equal to the angle of incidence. Diffuse reflection, on the other hand, occurs when light reflects off a rough surface, such as paper or a wall, and scatters in all directions.

4. How does the distance between the object and the mirror affect the size of the reflected light beam?

The distance between the object and the mirror does not affect the size of the reflected light beam. The size of the reflected light beam is determined by the angle of incidence and the size of the object, not the distance between them.

5. Can the reflected light beam in a mirror ever be larger than the object?

No, the reflected light beam in a mirror can never be larger than the object. The size of the reflected light beam is always the same as the size of the object, as long as the mirror is flat and the light is hitting it at a perpendicular angle. However, if the mirror is curved or the light hits it at an oblique angle, the size of the reflected light beam may appear larger or smaller than the object.