Drawing physics Diagrams with online software

In summary, Inkscape is a software that is widely used for creating illustrations, but there are free resources available where you can download collections of common symbols. Desmos and GeoGebra are platforms that allow users to interactively calculate figures, and both platforms offer export to svg files. For this specific application, I would recommend using one of the free-for-educational-purposes AutoCAD softwares offered by AutoDesk.
VVS2000
Hello everyone, does anyone know any online websites/software to draw detailed physics diagrams, Like the ones we see in textbooks and research papers.
I wanted to draw detailed ray diagram of a lens with mentioning all the angles and refracted rays which is supposed to depict a certain experiment I did.
Thanks In advance

Computer science news on Phys.org
You mean different from Inkscape (which is free)? Or Adobe Illustrator (which is not...)?

Likes jedishrfu
Arjan82 said:
You mean different from Inkscape (which is free)? Or Adobe Illustrator (which is not...)?
well I don't know either of them but it will be best if it's free

Inkscape is free and very widely used for creating illustrations for articles etc
Note that there are free resources out there where you can download collections common symbols that can then be copied and pasted into your illustrations/diagrams. I don't know if there is a collection for ray optics, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Likes VVS2000
f95toli said:
Inkscape is free and very widely used for creating illustrations for articles etc
Note that there are free resources out there where you can download collections common symbols that can then be copied and pasted into your illustrations/diagrams. I don't know if there is a collection for ray optics, but it wouldn't surprise me.
thanks for the info

I'm not sure what computational/programming features are available on inkscape (I'd have to check my installation).

However, recently I've been using geometric tools like Desmos and GeoGebra
where the figures aren't just "drawn" but are calculated and allow interactivity.

When I taught optics last year, I tried to use Desmos and GeoGebra
e.g.
https://www.geogebra.org/m/zbqzbrdn (a concave mirror)
https://www.geogebra.org/m/pttwdz9z (aperture stops) - possibly buggy (you have to hide the image by clicking the circle for picPedrotti1a on the left side

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/rhrwohh1zm ( refractions through a sphere )

Both platforms allow export to svg.
You could then use Inkscape to decorate them further.

Likes VVS2000 and sysprog
VVS2000 said:
Hello everyone, does anyone know any online websites/software to draw detailed physics diagrams, Like the ones we see in textbooks and research papers.
I wanted to draw detailed ray diagram of a lens with mentioning all the angles and refracted rays which is supposed to depict a certain experiment I did.
Thanks In advance
For this specific application, I would recommend one of the free-for-educational-purposes AutoCAD softwares offered by AutoDesk.
Very easy to use and very precise for lines and angles.

Please, see:
https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad/free-trial

Likes VVS2000
Thanks a lot for mentioning this, really helped

1. How do I use online software to draw physics diagrams?

To use online software to draw physics diagrams, you first need to find a reputable and user-friendly software that is specifically designed for drawing physics diagrams. Once you have selected a software, you can start by creating a new project or opening an existing one. Then, using the tools provided by the software, you can draw lines, shapes, and add labels and measurements to create your diagram.

2. Can I import data into the software to create my diagrams?

Yes, many online software programs allow you to import data from spreadsheets or other sources to create your diagrams. This can be helpful when you have a large amount of data or complex calculations that you want to include in your diagram.

3. Are there different types of physics diagrams that I can create with online software?

Yes, there are various types of physics diagrams that you can create with online software, such as free-body diagrams, energy diagrams, circuit diagrams, and more. It is important to select the appropriate type of diagram for your specific application.

4. Do I need to have prior knowledge of physics to use these software programs?

While having a basic understanding of physics concepts can be helpful, most online software programs are designed to be user-friendly and do not require extensive knowledge of physics. However, it is important to have a clear understanding of the concepts you are trying to represent in your diagram.

5. Can I share my diagrams with others using online software?

Yes, most online software programs allow you to save and share your diagrams with others. You can typically export your diagrams as image files or PDFs, or share them directly through the software itself. This can be useful for collaborating with others or presenting your diagrams in a professional manner.