Drum and Cable Problem - Formula and Workings

In summary, The person is asking for help with a math problem involving the variables A, B, C, D, E, and F. They were initially confused by the problem but have since solved it with the help of others.
perfexa
Homework Statement
Data has been gathered from a lifting system used to transport engine parts. The system consists of a drum and cable. The following data was obtained when the drum lowers the load (assume constant acceleration).
Relevant Equations
a) The final linear velocity of the load
b) The linear acceleration of the load
c) The final angular velocity of the drum
d) The angular acceleration of the drum
e) The tension force in the cable
F)The torque applied to the drum In determining the above quantities, you should clearly state the formulae used and apply dimensional analysis techniques to show that all values/units used are homogeneous. From the formulae used (above) you should apply dimensional analysis techniques to develop two equations for power (in terms of linear velocity and angular velocity).
Hi everyone, please could someone assist in the formula for the above A, B, C, D, E and F in order for me to try and resolve the maths questions, I'm just a little stuck on the formula,

Thanks in advance all :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, perfexa :cool:
It may be too early in the morning for me, but the whole problem seems very confusing.

All you have to do is to form equations for power based on data that has no numbers?

I agree, something amiss in the problem statement.
A to F are listed as data obtained, then you are asked for equations by which to determine them. These should be two separate lists.

I folks, think I've solved it anyway, appreciate the fast response, some of it was staring me in the face :cool:

What is the Drum and Cable Problem?

The Drum and Cable Problem is a classic physics problem that involves determining the tension in a cable wrapped around a drum of a certain size and shape. It is commonly used in introductory physics courses to demonstrate the application of rotational dynamics.

What is the formula for solving the Drum and Cable Problem?

The formula for solving the Drum and Cable Problem is T = (m x g x r) / (2 x pi x h), where T is the tension in the cable, m is the mass of the object attached to the cable, g is the acceleration due to gravity, r is the radius of the drum, and h is the height of the cable on the drum.

How do you determine the direction of the tension force in the Drum and Cable Problem?

The tension force in the Drum and Cable Problem always acts tangentially to the drum, in the direction opposite of the rotation. This means that the tension force is always pulling the object attached to the cable towards the center of the drum.

What assumptions are made when solving the Drum and Cable Problem?

When solving the Drum and Cable Problem, it is assumed that the cable is massless and inextensible, meaning that it has no weight and does not stretch. It is also assumed that the drum is perfectly cylindrical and that there is no slipping between the cable and the drum.

How can the Drum and Cable Problem be applied to real-world situations?

The Drum and Cable Problem can be applied to real-world situations where objects are suspended or lifted using cables, such as cranes and elevators. It can also be used in engineering to determine the appropriate tension in a cable system, such as in suspension bridges or zip lines.