Dual-degree vs. BS Phys+MS MechE

• Programs
  • Thread starter Sherman8r44
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to become a mechanical engineer despite their current school not offering an engineering program. They are considering two options: graduating early and pursuing a dual-degree program with an engineering school, or graduating on time and double majoring in Applied Physics and then applying to MSME programs. Both options have their advantages and it ultimately depends on the individual's goals and resources.
Sherman8r44
Hi all,

I am in a bit of a cunundrum and I'd appreciate your help. I've decided I want to be a mechanical engineer, but my school offers no form of engineering. I'm a rising junior and I am joint-majoring in Economics & Mathematics (the coursework of which I enjoy - I won't give that up). Here are two possible educational paths to engineering which I have been considering:

1. Graduate a year early, then study for BSME as part of 3-2 dual-degree program with nearby engineering school.

2. Graduate on time and double major with BS Applied Physics, then apply to MSME programs.

Any comments on the comparative feasibility, difficulty, time/money effectiveness, etc. of the two paths? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
</code>Both of your options are great choices to pursue your goal of becoming a mechanical engineer. The 3-2 Dual-Degree program is the most common route for students to get an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering, and it is also usually faster and less expensive than the double major route. However, some universities offer more specialized courses in Applied Physics which may be better suited to your interests. Ultimately, it depends on what you want out of your college experience and what resources are available to you. Good luck!

I can understand your dilemma and appreciate your interest in pursuing a career in mechanical engineering. In terms of the two paths you have outlined, both have their own advantages and challenges.

The dual-degree program would allow you to graduate a year early and obtain a BS in mechanical engineering, which would save you time and potentially money. However, this may also mean that you will have a heavier workload and may have to give up some of your coursework in economics and mathematics. It may also be more challenging to adjust to a new school and curriculum in a shorter period of time.

On the other hand, completing a BS in Applied Physics and then applying for an MS in Mechanical Engineering may allow you to continue studying subjects you enjoy while also giving you a strong foundation in physics, which is closely related to mechanical engineering. This path may also give you more time to explore your interests and potentially gain work experience in the field before pursuing a higher degree. However, this may also mean a longer time commitment and potentially higher costs for obtaining both degrees.

Ultimately, the feasibility, difficulty, and time/money effectiveness of each path will depend on your personal strengths, interests, and career goals. I would recommend researching and speaking with advisors or professionals in both fields to gain a better understanding of the coursework, job opportunities, and potential career paths for each option. Good luck in your decision-making process!

Related to Dual-degree vs. BS Phys+MS MechE

Question 1: What is the difference between a dual-degree and a BS in Physics + MS in Mechanical Engineering?

A dual-degree program is when a student simultaneously pursues two separate degrees, such as a BS in Physics and a MS in Mechanical Engineering. This allows students to gain a broader range of knowledge and skills in two different fields. On the other hand, a BS in Physics + MS in Mechanical Engineering is an integrated program where students complete both degrees in a shorter amount of time. This option is typically more specialized and focused on the intersection of physics and mechanical engineering.

Question 2: Will I have to complete more credits to earn a dual-degree compared to a BS in Physics + MS in Mechanical Engineering?

It depends on the specific program and university. Some dual-degree programs may require more credits due to the additional coursework in two separate fields. However, integrated programs like a BS in Physics + MS in Mechanical Engineering often have a streamlined curriculum and may require fewer credits to graduate.

Question 3: Can I switch from a dual-degree program to a BS in Physics + MS in Mechanical Engineering program?

It is possible to switch between programs, but it will depend on the specific policies of the university and the requirements for each program. Some universities may allow students to transfer credits between programs, while others may require students to start over in the new program. It is important to carefully research and plan before making a switch.

Question 4: Will a dual-degree or a BS in Physics + MS in Mechanical Engineering give me better job opportunities?

Both options can lead to excellent job opportunities, but it ultimately depends on the specific career goals and interests of the individual. A dual-degree may provide a wider range of job opportunities in two separate fields, while a BS in Physics + MS in Mechanical Engineering may be more specialized and desirable for certain industries. It is important to consider the specific skills and knowledge gained from each program and how they align with your career goals.

Question 5: Can I pursue a dual-degree or a BS in Physics + MS in Mechanical Engineering if I already have a degree in a different field?

It is possible to pursue either option, but it will depend on the specific requirements and policies of the university. Some programs may have prerequisite coursework or may require students to have a background in physics and/or engineering. It is important to research and consult with advisors to determine the best path for your individual circumstances.