Dutasteride powder dissolved in ethanol/vodka for topical

• Thread starter dutaboy83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Powder
In summary, the person is seeking help in making a solution of dutasteride, a hair loss medicine. They have found that dutasteride is soluble in ethanol, methanol, and polyethylene glycol 400 but not water. They have attempted to make a solution using vodka, but not all of the dutasteride has dissolved. They are wondering if the water in the vodka is affecting the solubility and if heating the solution would help. Some suggestions are to use a more concentrated ethanol, such as Everclear, and to add an essential oil to the solution.
dutaboy83
Hi there!
Hopefully someone is here who could help me with this!
For a project I want to make a topical of a hairloss medicine. It's about Dutasteride.
Dutasteride is soluble in ethanol (44 mg / mL), methanol (64 mg / mL) and polyethylene glycol 400 (3 mg / mL), but insoluble in water.

For a solution, I use vodka (40% ethanol). I want to put 5mg dutasteride in 1ml of wodka.
A solution is now made for 100 days: 100 ml (vodka, 40%, so 40ml ethanol) and 500mg dutasteride.

This is now in a jar and I have stirred, shaken, etc., but not all of the dutasteride is dissolved in the solution. You keep seeing bits and dots floating around.

I really want the 500mg to perfectly dissolve in 100ml vodka, so that each dose of 1ml remains the same ...

Does anyone know how to solve this? Is it perhaps because dutasteride is not soluble in water? And vodka contains some water? Or is it neccesary to heat up the solution?

Hopefully someone knows how to help me!
Thank you very much in advance!
Greetings!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You already have data for ethanol solubility, so you use more highly concentrated ethanol. The best way is to use 90 percent ethanol, so add measured amount of this concentrated ethanol until your solute dissolves.

Right, you should have used Everclear instead of cheap (I hope) vodka. You might get more to go into vodka solution if you add an essential oil like orange oil or lemon oil. Hmmm, if only vodka came already flavored with citrus oils!

1. What is Dutasteride powder?

Dutasteride powder is a medication commonly used to treat enlarged prostate in men. It belongs to a class of drugs known as 5-alpha reductase inhibitors, which work by reducing the production of a hormone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the body.

2. How is Dutasteride powder typically administered?

Dutasteride powder is usually taken orally in the form of a tablet or capsule. However, it can also be dissolved in ethanol or vodka for topical use, meaning it is applied directly to the skin.

3. What is the benefit of using Dutasteride powder dissolved in ethanol/vodka for topical use?

Topical application of Dutasteride powder may allow for more targeted and localized treatment, as it can be applied directly to the affected area. This may be beneficial for individuals who experience side effects from oral administration of the medication, or for those who have difficulty swallowing pills.

4. Is using Dutasteride powder dissolved in ethanol/vodka for topical use safe?

As with any medication, it is important to follow the instructions and dosage guidelines provided by your healthcare provider. Using Dutasteride powder dissolved in ethanol or vodka for topical use should only be done under the guidance of a medical professional to ensure safety and effectiveness.

5. Are there any potential side effects of using Dutasteride powder dissolved in ethanol/vodka for topical use?

Possible side effects of topical Dutasteride powder may include skin irritation, redness, itching, or burning at the application site. It is important to discuss any concerns or potential side effects with your healthcare provider before using this medication topically.