Dynamic pressure in pressure units

In summary, the conversation discussed the conversion of dynamic pressure into units used to measure static pressure. Dynamic pressure is defined as ½⋅density⋅velocity2 while pressure is defined as kg⋅m−1⋅s−2. However, both can be expressed in energy per volume and have the same units of kg⋅m−1⋅s−2. The example of 8 ergs/cubic cc was given and it was stated that 1 (kg/m³)(m/s)² is equivalent to 1 J/m³ which is equivalent to 1 Pa. The conversation also mentioned the use of a pressure gauge and the concept of total pressure being the addition of
T C
TL;DR Summary
I want to know how to convert dynamic pressure of a flowing fluid into pressure units by which static pressure is being measured.
We all know that a flowing fluid acquires dynamic pressure as a result of this velocity. But the pressure has been known to be the kinetic energy of unit volume of flow i.e. 0.5 times density multiplied by the square of the velocity. I just want to know how to convert that into units that are being used to measure static pressure.

Physics news on Phys.org
T C said:
Summary:: I want to know how to convert dynamic pressure of a flowing fluid into pressure units by which static pressure is being measured.

We all know that a flowing fluid acquires dynamic pressure as a result of this velocity. But the pressure has been known to be the kinetic energy of unit volume of flow i.e. 0.5 times density multiplied by the square of the velocity. I just want to know how to convert that into units that are being used to measure static pressure.
The units are identical. Find out what system your pressure unit is in and then look up what are the units for velocity and density in that system.

Likes russ_watters
Static pressure is measured in BarA, BarG. PsiA, PsiG etc. But, the way dynamic pressure is defined, the possible result will come in units of energy. Kindly tell me how to convert that into units of pressure. Suppose in case of a fluid, the dynamic pressure is 8 ergs. I want to know how to convert that into psi, bar etc. if we know the density and other details of the fluid.

ergs are in the cgs system.
dynamic pressure has units of ergs/cm3 which equal 1 barye
1 bar = 1,000,000 barye

No, you appear to have done your unit analysis incorrectly here. Dynamic pressure shouldn't come out in units of energy, it should come out in units of energy per volume, and with a bit of unit rearrangement, you should be able to find that energy per volume and pressure both are actually dimensionally the same.

Likes russ_watters
T C said:
But, the way dynamic pressure is defined, the possible result will come in units of energy.
Dynamic pressure is defined as ½⋅density⋅velocity2
Pressure is defined as kg⋅m−1⋅s−2
( kg⋅m−3 )⋅(m2⋅s-2) = kg⋅m−1⋅s−2

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
cjl said:
No, you appear to have done your unit analysis incorrectly here. Dynamic pressure shouldn't come out in units of energy, it should come out in units of energy per volume, and with a bit of unit rearrangement, you should be able to find that energy per volume and pressure both are actually dimensionally the same.
I have clearly said that the energy given is for unit volume.

Baluncore said:
Dynamic pressure is defined as ½⋅density⋅velocity2
Pressure is defined as kg⋅m−1⋅s−2
( kg⋅m−3 )⋅(m2⋅s-2) = kg⋅m−1⋅s−2
Kindly give me a clear example. As for example, if it's 8 ers/cubic cc, how to convert it into pressure unit.

I suggest you use the SI units only. That way you will not get confused.

T C said:
But the pressure has been known to be the kinetic energy of unit volume [J/m³] of flow i.e. 0.5 times density multiplied by the square of the velocity [(kg/m³)(m/s)²]. I just want to know how to convert that into units that are being used to measure static pressure [Pa].
It is just a matter of unit conversion:

1 (kg/m³)(m/s)² = 1 J/m³ = 1 Pa

Likes russ_watters, Lnewqban, cjl and 1 other person
T C said:
Kindly give me a clear example. As for example, if it's 8 ers/cubic cc, how to convert it into pressure unit.
Write out the base units for us. What are the units that make up an erg? You really ought to be able to do this yourself.

…though the fact that you can’t fits with the oddity of the question, which probably points to additional misunderstandings. Meaning, you are never going to get velocity pressure in random/bizarre units, so this problem you are struggling with isn’t really even a thing anyway. The real problem here is likely that you don’t understand Bernoulli’s Principal/equation and you didn’t accept the correct answer you got in post #2.

Last edited:
Likes cjl
Both types of pressures can also be measured in terms of height of the column of a fluid when using a pressure gauge, which is a type of manometer using a U-shaped glass tube filled with mercury or colored water.

You can also compare the concept of total pressure, which is the addition of both types of pressures, to the concept of total energy, which if the addition of kinetic and potential energy.

Copied from
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure#Units

"Since a system under pressure has the potential to perform work on its surroundings, pressure is a measure of potential energy stored per unit volume. It is therefore related to energy density and may be expressed in units such as joules per cubic metre (J/m3, which is equal to Pa)."

russ_watters said:
The real problem here is likely that you don’t understand Bernoulli’s Principal/equation and you didn’t accept the correct answer you got in post #2.
This has noting to do with Bernoulli's principle.

If you just want this
T C said:
then google is your friend.
1625386511301.png

You spare yourself and us the time of opening a thread, asking a question, waiting for an answer and debating the answers.

Likes berkeman
T C said:
It’s pretty much entirely Bernoulli’s Principle and unit conversion. The static and dynamic pressure terms are sitting right next to each other in the equation.

Likes berkeman
T C said:
This is literally the heart of Bernoulli's equation.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
What I want to know is how to express dynamic pressure into pressure units.

T C said:
Use SI units.
Velocity; v, in metre/sec; Density; d, in kg/metre3; Pressure P, in Pa = pascal.
The dynamic pressure will be; P = ½·d·v² pascal.

Simply put, conservation of energy in a gas flow requires that the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy be constant. That is the heart of Bernoulli's principle. The kinetic energy term is a function of gas velocity, the potential energy term is a function of pressure.

T C said:
Pressure units are pressure units; Pascals, psi, whatever - dynamic pressure (as the name says) comes in pressure units. But you've already been told this. This issue is something any minimally competent junior high student should be able to grasp. So you need to start putting more effort into this or we'll need to lock the thread.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes jack action
@Baluncore, Jack Action clearly defined what I want to know and now I can transfer calculated value of dynamic pressure into pressure units. My only motto for starting this thread is to find it out and Jack Action now clarified it.
Russ is now in a hurry and can now lock this thread.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
Thread closed.

• Love
  • Sad
Likes weirdoguy, Vanadium 50 and jack action

1. What is dynamic pressure?

Dynamic pressure is a measure of the kinetic energy of a fluid in motion. It is a type of pressure that is exerted by a fluid on a surface due to its motion.

2. How is dynamic pressure different from static pressure?

Static pressure is the force exerted by a fluid at rest, while dynamic pressure is the force exerted by a fluid in motion. Dynamic pressure is usually greater than static pressure due to the added force of the fluid's motion.

3. What are the units of measurement for dynamic pressure?

Dynamic pressure is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m2).

4. How is dynamic pressure calculated?

Dynamic pressure can be calculated using the equation q = 1/2 * ρ * v2, where q is dynamic pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, and v is the velocity of the fluid.

5. What are some real-world applications of dynamic pressure?

Dynamic pressure is an important concept in fluid mechanics and is used in various fields, such as aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and meteorology. It is also relevant in the design and operation of vehicles, such as airplanes and rockets, as well as in the study of weather patterns and ocean currents.