Dynamics of a double atwood machine

In summary, the equations for a double Atwood machine involve the tensions in the lower and upper strings, the masses involved, and the acceleration due to gravity. The textbook assumes that the tension in the upper string is twice the tension in the lower strings, which is only possible if the lower pulley is assumed to be massless. This assumption also leads to the conclusion that the lower pulley will remain stationary while the upper pulley and mass m1 move.
Aurelius120
Homework Statement
In a double Atwood machine(pulley suspended from another pulley), a mass, m1 is suspended from one side of the upper pulley(on the other side is the lower pulley) and masses m2 and m3 are suspended from either side of the lower pulley. π‘š3>π‘š2>π‘š1
𝑇 is the tension in the lower strings
𝑇1 is the tension in the upper strings
π‘Ž2 is the acceleration of π‘š1 and of the lower pulley system (as a whole)
π‘Ž1 is the acceleration of π‘š2 and π‘š3 in the lower pulley (taking only the lower system into consideration)
𝑔 is the acceleration due to gravity
I want to find the net acceleration of each mass and the time for m1 to strike the upper pulley given the length of the string from m1 to the upper pulley is 20cm
Relevant Equations
N/A
I think the equations should be

π‘‡βˆ’π‘š2𝑔=π‘š2π‘Ž1
π‘š3π‘”βˆ’π‘‡=π‘š3π‘Ž1
𝑇1βˆ’π‘š1𝑔=π‘š1π‘Ž2
2π‘‡βˆ’π‘‡1=(π‘š2+π‘š3)π‘Ž2

P.S.- My textbook assumes T1 = 2T.
I don't understand why that is so.

Attachments

• LE615.png
    LE615.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 123
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Are the pulleys assumed massless?

The accelerations of m2 and m3 are not equal, either in magnitude or direction. They would be equal in magnitude only if the lower pulley were not accelerating.

Last edited:
Aurelius120 said:
π‘Ž1 is the acceleration of π‘š2 and π‘š3 in the lower pulley (taking only the lower system into consideration)
It is not clear what you mean by that. Since you are taking the two accelerations to have the same magnitude, I presume you mean these as accelerations relative to the pulley. But the pulley is accelerating, so this is a non-inertial frame. Consequently the equations below need another term:
Aurelius120 said:
π‘‡βˆ’π‘š2𝑔=π‘š2π‘Ž1
π‘š3π‘”βˆ’π‘‡=π‘š3π‘Ž1
Aurelius120 said:
Consider the balance of forces on the lower pulley and write out the F=ma equation for it.

Likes Delta2 and Chestermiller
Aurelius120 said:
Homework Statement:: In a double Atwood machine(pulley suspended from another pulley), a mass, m1 is suspended from one side of the upper pulley(on the other side is the lower pulley) and masses m2 and m3 are suspended from either side of the lower pulley. π‘š3>π‘š2>π‘š1
𝑇 is the tension in the lower strings
𝑇1 is the tension in the upper strings
π‘Ž2 is the acceleration of π‘š1 and of the lower pulley system (as a whole)
𝑔 is the acceleration due to gravity
I want to find the net acceleration of each mass and the time for m1 to strike the upper pulley given the length of the string from m1 to the upper pulley is 20cm
Relevant Equations:: N/A

P.S.- My textbook assumes T1 = 2T
This holds only if the lower pulley is massless. To prove it proceed as @haruspex suggest and don't forget that the pulley is massless when applying Newton's 2nd law for this pulley.

Also a pulley has to be massless in order for the tensions on each side of the pulley to be equal. Just saying cause you might have taken this for granted, that it holds for all pulleys.

Doc Al said:
Are the pulleys assumed massless?
yes they are massless and frictionless

So will T1 be equal to 2T or will there be some other equations for T1?
[Because I think the string will slack if T1=2T
As m1 moves up with some a2 but the lower pulley will be stationary for T1=2T]

Aurelius120 said:
yes they are massless and frictionless
Good. From that you can deduce (not merely assume):
Aurelius120 said:

Aurelius120 said:
So will T1 be equal to 2T or will there be some other equations for T1?
There may well be other equations in which T1 appears, but T1 = 2T follows from the fact that the pulley is massless.
Aurelius120 said:
[Because I think the string will slack if T1=2T
As m1 moves up with some a2 but the lower pulley will be stationary for T1=2T]
Not so.

(Apply Newton's 2nd law to the pulley itself. Since it's massless, the net force on it must be zero.)

1. What is a double Atwood machine?

A double Atwood machine is a mechanical system that consists of two Atwood machines connected together. Each Atwood machine consists of a pulley, a string, and two masses. The double Atwood machine is used to study the dynamics of a system with multiple masses and pulleys.

2. How does a double Atwood machine work?

In a double Atwood machine, the two Atwood machines are connected by a string. The two masses on each side of the machine are connected by the string that passes over the pulley. When one of the masses is released, it will accelerate due to the force of gravity and the other mass will also accelerate in the opposite direction due to the tension in the string. This creates a system where the masses are constantly changing direction and accelerating.

3. What are the equations used to analyze the dynamics of a double Atwood machine?

The equations used to analyze the dynamics of a double Atwood machine are the same as those used for a single Atwood machine. These include Newton's second law (F=ma), the equations for acceleration (a=F/m), and the equations for tension in the string (T=mg-ma).

4. What factors affect the motion of a double Atwood machine?

The motion of a double Atwood machine is affected by several factors, including the masses of the objects, the length and weight of the string, and the force of gravity. These factors can be altered to study the effects on the acceleration and tension in the system.

5. What are the applications of studying the dynamics of a double Atwood machine?

The study of the dynamics of a double Atwood machine has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics. It can be used to understand the principles of motion, forces, and energy in a system with multiple masses and pulleys. This knowledge can be applied to real-world scenarios such as elevators, cranes, and other mechanical systems.