Dynamics of a string coupled pendulum

In summary, the dynamics of a string coupled pendulum can be understood by the technique of Lagrangian dynamics.
physics_cosmos

Homework Statement

My problem/task is to explain in elementary terms the dynamics of a string coupled pendulum, the same as in this diagram:
VPBT5.jpg

Is it simple to make a free body diagram for the pendulums? Is it possible to understand the motion as being caused by SHM oscillation of the top horizontal spring from which the weighted pendulum are suspended?

Thanks in advance for any help with this problem.

Attachments

• VPBT5.jpg
    VPBT5.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 2,058
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the full statement of the problem? E.g. do we have to consider arbitrary directions of oscillation of the pendula? In arbitrary phases?

haruspex said:
Is this the full statement of the problem? E.g. do we have to consider arbitrary directions of oscillation of the pendula? In arbitrary phases?

Assume that initially one of the pendula is displaced at an angle perpendicular to the plane defined by the fixed posts indicated in the diagram, and that the other pendula is initially at equilibrium.

It is a self-imposed problem that I have set myself, to understand the dynamics of this system. Unlike a spring coupled pendulum, the forces involved are not so obvious and I am not sure where to start.

Last edited:
This problem can be solved by the technique of Lagrangian dynamics. The solution has a closed form for small angular displacements. It would be fun and easy to set up an experiment to observe the oscillatory transfer of angular momentum from one pendulum to the other.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am looking more for some qualitative analysis. Exactly forces are involved? The tension in the long suspending string, as in the situation for SHM. In addition the tension from the horizontal string must come into account, I guess? Just a bit lost as to how to put all of this together.

physics_cosmos said:
Hi, thanks for the reply. I am looking more for some qualitative analysis. Exactly forces are involved? The tension in the long suspending string, as in the situation for SHM. In addition the tension from the horizontal string must come into account, I guess? Just a bit lost as to how to put all of this together.
You have chosen a very complicated problem.
There are five different tensions.
The two junctions between the strings lie on spheres centred at the tops of the posts, but the distance between them adds a constraint, making three degrees of freedom.
At any instant, the three strings at a junction lie in a plane (why?).
The positions of the bobs relative to the junctions have one more degree of freedom each, and their velocities add two more each.
That's nine interacting variables.

What is a string coupled pendulum?

A string coupled pendulum is a physical system that consists of two or more pendulums connected by a string or rod. The motion of one pendulum affects the motion of the other pendulum(s), making it a coupled system.

What are the factors that affect the dynamics of a string coupled pendulum?

The dynamics of a string coupled pendulum are affected by factors such as the length and mass of the pendulums, the length and stiffness of the string or rod, and the initial conditions of the pendulums' motions.

How do you mathematically model the dynamics of a string coupled pendulum?

The dynamics of a string coupled pendulum can be modeled using the equations of motion for each pendulum, which take into account the forces acting on the pendulums, such as gravity, tension in the string, and friction.

What are some real-world applications of string coupled pendulums?

String coupled pendulums are used in various scientific and engineering fields, such as in seismology to study the behavior of earthquake waves, in robotics to create synchronized movements, and in musical instruments such as the double bass and the xylophone.

Can the motion of a string coupled pendulum be chaotic?

Yes, the motion of a string coupled pendulum can exhibit chaotic behavior, which means that small changes in initial conditions can lead to significantly different outcomes. This makes it a complex and interesting system to study.