Dynamics Problem about Velocity

In summary: Then put that point into the general solution and solve for d.In summary, the problem can be solved using indefinite integration, but the constants of integration must be determined by using known values of velocity. This allows for the solution to match the specific problem at hand.
joryboy

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I was working on this problem and I want to know if it can be solved by using an indefinite integral, so here it goes:

A car starts from rest and travels along a straight track such that it accelerates at 10 m/s^2 for 10 s, and then decelerates at 2 m/s^2 . Determine the velocity of the car.

Homework Equations

My question is if I can solve this using INDEFINITE INTEGRALS ONLY?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have obtained the correct answer using a definite integral:

For 0 less than or equal to t less than or equal to 10:
Integral from 0 to v (1) (dv) = integral from 0 to t (10) dt v=10t
For 10 less than or equal to t less than or equal to t'
Integral from 100 to v (1) dv = integral from 10 to t (-2 ) dt = v=-2t+120

I'm able to obtain the same result (when using an indefinite integral) for t between 0-10 but for 10-t I cant, also in my book it says that v1 = delta v + v0, well I can clearly see that when using the definite integral but not when I have to use the indefinite integral..

I tried this for t between 10-t : int (1) dv = int (-2) dt = v+c = -2t+C = v=-2t which is incorrect, then I said ok I forgot to add v0 but still I get v=-2t+100 which is still incorrect..

Also if I see it like this: v1= -2t + C + v0 I still can't get a clear understanding because I can't get a value for C.. Please help me and thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
joryboy said:
My question is if I can solve this using INDEFINITE INTEGRALS ONLY?
This question should be done by indefinite integration.

The velocity is provided by the area under the acceleration-time graph.
For the first section: $$v(0<t\leq 10)=10\int \;dt = 10t+c$$ ... here, ##c## is the constant of integration
- the indefinite integral gives you a family of possible solutions, only one of them is the solution to the problem you have. Find it by working out which value of c matches your problem.

- to work out what ##c## has to be, you use the fact that you also know the value of v at a particular time t ... specifically at t=0. So you put that point into the general solution and solve for c.

For the second section $$v(t>10) = -2 \int\; dt = -2t+d$$ ... here ##d## is the constant of integration and ##v(0) \neq 0## because this part of the journey did not go through ##t=0##.
What you need to find ##d## is some point on the line for the second part of the journey you already know the value of.

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's displacement over time. It indicates the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position (displacement) by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is v=d/t, where v is velocity, d is displacement, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity also takes into account the direction of an object's motion.

4. How does acceleration affect velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. If an object is accelerating, its velocity will either increase or decrease depending on the direction of the acceleration. For example, if an object is accelerating in the same direction as its velocity, its velocity will increase. If it is accelerating in the opposite direction, its velocity will decrease.

5. How do forces impact an object's velocity?

According to Newton's second law of motion, an object's acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration and the greater the change in its velocity. Forces can either increase or decrease an object's velocity, depending on the direction of the force and the initial velocity of the object.