Early Predictions of Hot Big Bang CMB: Gamov & Alpher

In summary, the earliest prediction that the CMB should have black body properties can be traced back to Robert Dicke's physics papers on radar designs in the 1950s and 1960s. This was further supported by Alpher's prediction of cosmic microwave background radiation and Penzias and Wilson's measurement of the CMB as a near perfect black body.
windy miller
As I understand it the fact the COBE measured the CMB to be a perfect black body implies strong evidence for the hot big bang. However, I am wondering what was the earliest prediction that this must be so from big bang cosmology? Does it go all the way back to Gamov and Alpher? is it older ? more recent?

Space news on Phys.org
Not a perfect black body, the deviations are small but interesting because they tell us more about the early universe.
Gamov and Alpher were calculating nuclear processes, but the same Alpher predicted a cosmic microwave background radiation. Wikipedia has a list of papers.

Ok sorry I should have said near perfect black body . But anyway the question remains , when was the black body properties of the CMB first worked out? If anyone knows Id very grateful for the reference.

Did you check the publications Wikipedia references?

windy miller said:
Ok sorry I should have said near perfect black body . But anyway the question remains , when was the black body properties of the CMB first worked out? If anyone knows Id very grateful for the reference.
Attribution can be difficult to assign when several academic groups cooperate on shared data and ideas. From the papers cited by @mfb I suggest studying Robert Dicke's physics papers on radar designs circa 1950-1960's specifically antenna temperature and receivers.

To elaborate, RF antennae such as developed by Bell Labs at Homdel were designed to both transmit and receive leaving an expectation that operators can fine tune reception based on data from transmission phase. Dicke and others proved that data inherent in a (passive) received signal can be isolated, amplified, compared to a stable source and fed back to "fix" the receiver. Penzias and Wilson modified a "Dicke fix" type RF receiver coupled with a stabilized cold stack to collect data that indicated the black body properties of the CMB for the first time.

mfb said:
Did you check the publications Wikipedia references?
Yes I did, I did not find what I was looking. What was the earliest paper to predict the CMB should be a near perfect black body.

windy miller said:
Yes I did, I did not find what I was looking.

Really? It's Ref. [23] on the very first line of the link that mfb posted.

Likes Klystron
Vanadium 50 said:
I read the whole of that article and did a search for the term " black body" just in case I missed it. The search time didn't pop and I couldn't find anything the said the CMB should be a near perfect black body. I did a see prediction for the temperature of the CMB of 5k but that is not what I am asking about. So any further help is much appreciated.

To define a temperature of a radiation spectrum it needs to be a blackbody spectrum.

Likes Vanadium 50
Sorry I did put this discussion to be at the beginner level and I am not sure i follow how the paper contents leads to a clear prediction of black body spectrum. Can anyone explain it? Or is there another paper with something more clearly stated?

Vanadium 50 said:
Concur. Alpher has precedence on publication. Took that as given and interpreted "work out" as "detecting and measuring the background radiation". CMB detection did not involve a typical radio frequency (RF) signal but manifested as an anomaly in antenna temperature.

[Edit: Just read your last post. Most of us now equate microwaves with heating objects. Alpher and others suggested that experimenters look for microwaves that correspond to a very low temperature, below 10 degrees Kelvin IIRC. Penzias and Wilson, after eliminating other sources of microwave noise in their antenna, first measured the CMBR by comparing the remaining antenna temperature to the temperature of a regulated super-cold device. Essentially both the CMB measurement and the cold pack reference temperature correspond to black body spectrums.]

Last edited:
windy miller said:
Im not sure i follow how the paper contents leads to a clear prediction of black body spectrum. Can anyone explain it?

They used the word "temperature" which is a synonym for "black body". They didn't use the words you would have liked them to use.

Vanadium 50 said:
They used the word "temperature" which is a synonym for "black body". They didn't use the words you would have liked them to use.

Im not trying to criticize them or you , I am just trying to understand and I am afraid i don't. Are you saying that anything that has a temperature is a black body?

windy miller said:
Are you saying that anything that has a temperature is a black body?

Read what @mfb said in post #9:

mfb said:
To define a temperature of a radiation spectrum it needs to be a blackbody spectrum.

The CMB is a radiation spectrum, so in order to define a temperature for it it must be a blackbody spectrum. That means the reference in question was predicting a black body CMB. It just didn't bother explicitly using the term "black body" because that part would have been obvious to the intended readers of the reference.

Likes mfb, Klystron, windy miller and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
PeterDonis said:
Read what @mfb said in post #9:
The CMB is a radiation spectrum, so in order to define a temperature for it it must be a blackbody spectrum. That means the reference in question was predicting a black body CMB. It just didn't bother explicitly using the term "black body" because that part would have been obvious to the intended readers of the reference.
thank you

Likes Klystron

What is the hot Big Bang theory?

The hot Big Bang theory is a scientific model that explains the origin and evolution of the universe. It states that the universe began as a hot, dense, and infinitely small point known as a singularity, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

What is the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB)?

The Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) is the remnant radiation from the Big Bang. It is a faint glow of electromagnetic radiation that fills the entire universe and is the oldest light in the universe.

Who were Gamow and Alpher?

George Gamow and Ralph Alpher were two scientists who proposed the hot Big Bang theory in the 1940s. They also predicted the existence of the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation as a remnant of the Big Bang.

What is the significance of Gamow and Alpher's work on early predictions of the hot Big Bang CMB?

Gamow and Alpher's work on early predictions of the hot Big Bang CMB provided strong evidence for the Big Bang theory and helped to confirm its validity. It also laid the foundation for further research and understanding of the early universe.

How has our understanding of the early universe evolved since Gamow and Alpher's work?

Since Gamow and Alpher's work, our understanding of the early universe has greatly evolved. With advancements in technology and new evidence, scientists have been able to refine and expand upon the hot Big Bang theory, leading to a better understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe.