Earth ground meter Vs Multimeter

In summary, Earth ground testers are equipment used to measure grounded electrical systems. They have multiple poles attached to rods fixed in the soil. They also have a simplified measurement option of 2 pole resistance measurement. However, to measure resistance between two points, such as railway-to-earth resistance, it is not accurate to use an ordinary multimeter even if the range is within the multimeter's scale. This is because the test leads of a multimeter have a similar resistance to the ground resistance being measured.
Neitrino
Dear forum please help me with the following understanding:

There is (are) such equipment Earth ground testers (https://www.fluke.com/en/products/electrical-testi...) - it is used to measure grounded electrical systems or to measure.
Such equipment is having multiple poles that are attached to rods fixed in the soil etc etc...

However such equipment is having also a kind of simplified measurement option - 2 pole resistance measurement.

So my question is: if with such equipment with 2 pole resistance measurement technique one measures resistance between two points ( for example railway-to-earth resistance) why i can not use ordinary multimeter to measure the same resistance ? Even if the anticipated / ohm range is within multimeter scale ?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Neitrino said:
However such equipment is having also a kind of simplified measurement option - 2 pole resistance measurement.

So my question is: if with such equipment with 2 pole resistance measurement technique one measures resistance between two points ( for example railway-to-earth resistance) why i can not use ordinary multimeter to measure the same resistance ? Even if the anticipated / ohm range is within multimeter scale ?
The simplified measurement is 2 poles. But it takes 4 poles to measure it correctly.

The test leads of a multimeter have a similar resistance to the ground resistance being measured.

1. What is the difference between an Earth ground meter and a Multimeter?

An Earth ground meter is specifically designed to measure the electrical potential of the Earth, while a Multimeter is a general purpose instrument that can measure various electrical properties such as voltage, current, and resistance.

2. Can a Multimeter be used as an Earth ground meter?

No, a Multimeter does not have the necessary features and functions to accurately measure Earth ground potential. It is important to use the appropriate instrument for the specific measurement needed.

3. How do I use an Earth ground meter?

To use an Earth ground meter, first connect the leads to the ground terminal and the ground rod or stake. Then, turn on the meter and follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer. It is important to follow proper safety procedures when using an Earth ground meter.

4. What are the benefits of using an Earth ground meter?

An Earth ground meter is essential for ensuring the safety of electrical systems and preventing damage from lightning strikes. It can also help identify potential hazards and ensure compliance with safety regulations.

5. How often should I use an Earth ground meter?

It is recommended to use an Earth ground meter at least once a year to ensure the integrity of the electrical system. However, if there are any changes or additions to the system, it is important to perform a ground measurement to ensure proper grounding.