Grounding / Earthing. What does these lines mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for proper grounding of a 5 ampere weighing equipment that is located 80 feet away from the soil point. The manufacturer states that a good third wire ground, preferably to a true ground or ground rod, is necessary and the resistance to all contact surfaces should be 0 ohms. Questions are raised about the specifications for the metal rod or wire to be used for grounding and the steps to check the resistance after grounding the green wire and metal frame of the equipment. The person seeking help also mentions using a 220VAC to 110VAC inverter to operate the equipment. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consult a qualified electrician for assistance.
Azee
Hello Everyone,
I have a 5 ampere weighing equipment & need it to ground properly. It is about 80 feet away from soil point. (Direct wire to the equipment will be used & long term connection is required).

Manufacturer says that:

"There must be a good third wire ground, preferably to a true ground or ground rod. Then check the resistance to that ground to all the contact surfaces of the equipment. There should be 0 ohms resistance since the static generated by the motion of the product needs a place to go".

1: What metal rod/wire or some thing else will be enough to use to vertically or horizentaly drive in soil. Length + diameter & other specifications. What size device will work in this case.
I need to be much closer to 0 ohms resistance. This is the actual target.
I can have digital clamp meter which have 200, 20k, 20M & 2000M ohms options.

2: Green (Ground) wire of the equipment is still to be ground as there is no ground connection to the wall socket.
Shall I need two rods?
First to connect with green wire & the second to connect with equipment's metal frame?
Or the same rod will be used to connect Green wire & Metal Frame?

3: For my reference please inform after grounding Green Wire & Metal frame how I can check resistance just like one can check voltage readings with a meter in hand by using probes. Please inform step by step.
Means to say how i can say or proof that resistance to the ground to all the contact surfaces of my equipment is 0 or any other reading that displays.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Azee. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

I understand your question, but I'll leave it for others to answer as it's outside my area. But it might help if you were to indicate whether your factory, etc., has metal water pipes that are laid under the ground.
2: Green (Ground) wire of the equipment is still to be ground as there is no ground connection to the wall socket.
Just clarify this. You are saying that no wall sockets in that building have three pins? They are all two pins? What is your electricity voltage?

Last edited by a moderator:
I want you to reply my question. Please don't leave it for other.
The Weighing equipment is on the 1st floor of my house. I have water pipes but that grounding is insuficient. I need to directly ground the equipment with a rod or so.
Equipment power supply cable has three wires or leads
1: Black "Hot"
2: White "Neutral"
3: Green "for Grounding" or "Earthing".

There is a three pin female wall socket near equipment often used for plugin Air conditioner power supplies. This Three Pin Female Wall Socket ONLY supplies Phase "Hot" & "Neutral" connection & there is NO "Earth" or "Ground" connection in it.
I also use Three Pin Male Plug to plugin above socket but without Green Wire.
I want to connect this green wire coming from the equipment supply cable DIRECTLY to a ROD driven in ground or so.
I also want to take a separate cable that connects equipment's frame to Rod or so.
Please help.
Equipment is 110 VAC & is being operated with 220VAC to 110VAC inverter. Equipmnet need 110-120VAC to run & i have adjusted Servo Motor Inverter Potentometer around 116VAC.
Awaiting reply.

Azee said:
Hello Everyone,
I have a 5 ampere weighing equipment & need it to ground properly. It is about 80 feet away from soil point. (Direct wire to the equipment will be used & long term connection is required).

Manufacturer says that:

"There must be a good third wire ground, preferably to a true ground or ground rod. Then check the resistance to that ground to all the contact surfaces of the equipment. There should be 0 ohms resistance since the static generated by the motion of the product needs a place to go".

1: What metal rod/wire or some thing else will be enough to use to vertically or horizentaly drive in soil. Length + diameter & other specifications. What size device will work in this case.
I need to be much closer to 0 ohms resistance. This is the actual target.
I can have digital clamp meter which have 200, 20k, 20M & 2000M ohms options.

Shall I need two rods?
First to connect with green wire & the second to connect with equipment's metal frame?
Or the same rod will be used to connect Green wire & Metal Frame?

3: For my reference please inform after grounding Green Wire & Metal frame how I can check resistance just like one can check voltage readings with a meter in hand by using probes. Please inform step by step.
Means to say how i can say or proof that resistance to the ground to all the contact surfaces of my equipment is 0 or any other reading that displays.

Thanks in advance.

Azee said:
I want you to reply my question. Please don't leave it for other.
The Weighing equipment is on the 1st floor of my house. I have water pipes but that grounding is insuficient. I need to directly ground the equipment with a rod or so.
Equipment power supply cable has three wires or leads
1: Black "Hot"
2: White "Neutral"
3: Green "for Grounding" or "Earthing".

There is a three pin female wall socket near equipment often used for plugin Air conditioner power supplies. This Three Pin Female Wall Socket ONLY supplies Phase "Hot" & "Neutral" connection & there is NO "Earth" or "Ground" connection in it.
I also use Three Pin Male Plug to plugin above socket but without Green Wire.
I want to connect this green wire coming from the equipment supply cable DIRECTLY to a ROD driven in ground or so.
I also want to take a separate cable that connects equipment's frame to Rod or so.
Please help.
Equipment is 110 VAC & is being operated with 220VAC to 110VAC inverter. Equipmnet need 110-120VAC to run & i have adjusted Servo Motor Inverter Potentometer around 116VAC.
Awaiting reply.

You need to consult a qualified electrician in your area. We cannot help you self-install electrical equipment when you already have wiring problems in your house. You need an electrician to help you run ground wires in your house.

This thread is locked.

I can provide a response to your question about grounding/earthing. Grounding or earthing refers to the process of connecting an electrical device or equipment to the ground in order to avoid the buildup of static electricity and to protect against electrical shocks. This is especially important for sensitive equipment, such as your 5 ampere weighing equipment.

In order to properly ground your equipment, you will need to use a metal rod or wire that is driven into the soil. The length and diameter of the rod or wire will depend on the type of soil and its moisture content, as well as the specific requirements of your equipment manufacturer. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines to ensure proper grounding and prevent any potential damage to your equipment.

You can use a digital clamp meter to measure the resistance to the ground of your equipment. The 0 ohms resistance mentioned by the manufacturer is the ideal target, but any reading below 5 ohms is considered acceptable. To check the resistance, you will need to connect the meter to the grounding wire and metal frame of your equipment. If the reading is above the acceptable range, you may need to adjust your grounding method or use additional rods to improve the connection.

It is important to ground both the green (ground) wire and the metal frame of your equipment. You can use the same rod to connect both, as long as the connection is secure and the resistance is within the acceptable range.

To check the resistance after grounding, you can use the same process as mentioned above with the digital clamp meter. Simply connect the meter to the grounding wire and metal frame and take a reading. It is important to periodically check the resistance to ensure that your equipment remains properly grounded.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of grounding/earthing and provides some guidance for properly grounding your equipment. If you have any further questions or concerns, it is always best to consult with a professional electrician or follow the specific guidelines provided by your equipment manufacturer.

1. What is grounding/earthing and why is it important?

Grounding/earthing is the process of connecting an electrical system to the ground in order to redirect excess electrical energy. It is important because it helps prevent electrical shocks and damage to electronic equipment.

2. How does grounding/earthing work?

Grounding/earthing works by providing a low-resistance path for excess electrical energy to flow into the ground. This helps to stabilize the electrical system and protect it from potential damage.

3. What are the benefits of grounding/earthing?

The benefits of grounding/earthing include increased safety, protection of equipment, and improved power quality. It can also reduce the risk of electrical fires and improve the overall efficiency of an electrical system.

4. How is grounding/earthing different from bonding?

Grounding/earthing is the process of connecting an electrical system to the ground, while bonding is the process of connecting two or more metal objects to create a safe, continuous path for electrical current. Bonding is often done in conjunction with grounding/earthing to ensure safety and prevent electrical hazards.

5. Can grounding/earthing be done in both residential and commercial buildings?

Yes, grounding/earthing is essential in both residential and commercial buildings to ensure safety and protect electrical systems. It is required by electrical codes and should be done by a professional electrician.