Earth orbiting around sun - finding speed with known mass and radius

In summary, the problem is asking to find the orbital speed of the Earth around the sun. The equation used is F=mv/r^2 and it is solved using the equation GMm/r^2=mv^2/r, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the sun, and m is the mass of the Earth. However, the book may not use this equation and instead rely on the simpler method of dividing the circumference of the orbit by the period of 365 days (in seconds). This gives the same result as the equation.
EvaSindelarova
Hi,

the problem is stated as following:
The Earth (mass=5.98×1024 kg) rotates around the sun in an orbit that is approximately circular, with a radius of 1.5×1011 m. Find the orbital speed of the Earth around the sun.

[itеx]F=mv/r2[/itеx]

I get that I need to use this equation but I'm struggling with finding centripetal force. I understand it is equal to the force sun exerts on Earth and I solved the problem using equation [itеx]G\frac{mM}{r2}=\frac{mv2}{r}[/itеx] but I don't think it is the right solution according to the book since no information which is needed for this equation such as mass of sun (M) or gravitational constant (G) and we also haven't learned this equation yet.

So how can I find centripetal force without using the force sun exerts on Earth? Or do I even need to use the equation for force mentioned above?

Thank you for any advice

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the question is to find the orbital speed: How long does it take the Earth to make one trip around the sun?

If the radius of the Earth's orbit is 1.5x10^11 m, how far does it travel in completing one orbit? How long does this take?

Ok, I get it now, I just divide circumference (2∏r) by period (365 days, just in seconds).

Thank you both)

Yes, that is the easier way to do it.

1. How does the mass and radius of Earth affect its speed in orbit around the sun?

The mass and radius of Earth directly impact its speed in orbit around the sun. The greater the mass and radius of Earth, the stronger its gravitational pull, resulting in a higher orbital speed. This is because the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the formula for calculating Earth's orbital speed around the sun?

The formula for calculating Earth's orbital speed around the sun is v = √(G * M / r), where v is the orbital speed, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the sun, and r is the distance between the center of the sun and Earth.

3. How does the distance between Earth and the sun affect its orbital speed?

The distance between Earth and the sun has a significant impact on its orbital speed. The farther Earth is from the sun, the slower its orbital speed will be due to the weaker gravitational force between the two bodies. This is known as Kepler's Third Law of Planetary Motion, which states that the square of the orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of the distance between the two objects.

4. What is Earth's average orbital speed around the sun?

Earth's average orbital speed around the sun is approximately 107,000 kilometers per hour or 67,000 miles per hour. This value may vary slightly due to its elliptical orbit, but it remains relatively constant due to the balance between Earth's gravitational pull and the centrifugal force of its orbit.

5. How is Earth's orbital speed around the sun measured?

Earth's orbital speed around the sun can be measured using various methods, such as radar measurements, Doppler effect, and observations from spacecraft. These measurements are crucial for understanding Earth's position in the solar system and how it interacts with other celestial bodies.