Earth Orbits of Geostationary Satellites

In summary: It would be difficult, but not impossible, to adjust an antenna to track a particular satellite. Given that the track of a given satellite would be known within reasonable limits, coarse tracking could follow that, supplemented by feedback in signal strength.
John12343210
Do geostationary satellites move with the Earth's orbit or do they not move at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking for the difference between geosynchronous and geostationary satellites?

hutchphd said:
Are you asking for the difference between geosynchronous and geostationary satellites?
no

What do you mean, then? All satellites move in some sense or other, including geostationary ones.

John12343210 said:
Do geostationary satellites move with the Earth's orbit or do they not move at all?
Geostationary satellites orbit the Earth once a day, remaining stationary in a rotating reference frame centered on Earth. Clearly they must also follow the Earth through its orbit around the sun, as all satellites do.

John12343210 said:

Both they and all other satellites, including the Moon, move with the Earth around the Sun.

thanks guys, some of my textbooks were saying geostationary satellites don't move at all, so I was a bit confused

John12343210 said:
thanks guys, some of my textbooks were saying geostationary satellites don't move at all, so I was a bit confused
What your textbooks are probably saying is that they do not move (significantly) relative to any "fixed" point on the Earth's surface. It sounds as if they weren't saying it very well.

Likes russ_watters
John12343210 said:
...some of my textbooks were saying geostationary satellites don't move at all...
Movement depends on the used reference frame. Make sure that you read precisely what the book says.

A.T. said:
Movement depends on the used reference frame. Make sure that you read precisely what the book says.
For instance for a (center of mass) observer of the solar system all Earth satellites actually travel "open" spiral serpentine paths about the Earth's orbit!

John12343210 said:

They do oscillate a little north and south of a fixed point on the Earth's surface

th?id=OIP.jpg
Other than that, they rotate with the Earth. If they didn't, Satellite TV and other comms wouldn't be possible through themDave

davenn said:
They do oscillate a little north and south of a fixed point on the Earth's surface
Other than that, they rotate with the Earth. If they didn't, Satellite TV and other comms wouldn't be possible through them
Let me be pedantic and amend your comment to, "If they didn't, Satellite TV and other comms would be much more difficult to implement continously through them".

Early transatlantic television transmissions were made on two Telstar satellites in the early 1960s. These satellites had an orbital period of a couple of hours, so that transmissions lasted for only twenty minutes at a time and required the transmitting and receiving antennas to be continuously redirected.
I especially recall the transmission of a portion of the funeral of President Kennedy. Today we are accustomed to HD transmissions, in colour on 48" screens. Viewing the shaking image of the funeral cortège in black and white, on an 18"screen, with only 405 lines, strengthened the pathos and impact of the event.

Also, @John12343210, in regard to your original question, gravitational forces are continually tending to move the satellites out of position so that thrusters must be used to counteract this tendency. I understand the fuel load is what generally determines the effective lifetime of such satellites. The process is known as station keeping.

Last edited:
Ophiolite said:
"If they didn't, Satellite TV and other comms would be much more difficult to implement continously through them".
Impossibly difficult as you wouldn't be able to use the fixed dishes that are currently used, you would be chasing the sat's all over the sky with signals coming and going as you tried to watch your fav movie or sports channel etc

The only people that like chasing sat's around the sky are amateur radio operators like myselfD

Likes Ophiolite
davenn said:
Impossibly difficult as you wouldn't be able to use the fixed dishes that are currently used, you would be chasing the sat's all over the sky with signals coming and going as you tried to watch your fav movie or sports channel etc
Surely, so expensive as to be impractical, would be the more accurate description? Or, if you prefer, the equivalent, but more potent, practically impossible.
That said - at the risk of moving off topic - would the circuitry to adjust a steerable antenna responsive to signal strength be especially challenging? Or, given that the track of a given satellite would be known within reasonable limits coarse tracking could follow that, supplemented by feedback in signal strength.

1. What is a geostationary satellite?

A geostationary satellite is a type of satellite that orbits the Earth at the same rate and direction as the Earth's rotation. This means that the satellite appears to stay in the same position in the sky, making it ideal for telecommunications and weather monitoring.

2. How high above the Earth do geostationary satellites orbit?

Geostationary satellites orbit at an altitude of approximately 35,786 kilometers (22,236 miles) above the Earth's equator.

3. How long does it take for a geostationary satellite to complete one orbit?

It takes a geostationary satellite approximately 24 hours to complete one orbit around the Earth, which is the same amount of time it takes for the Earth to complete one rotation.

4. What are the benefits of using geostationary satellites?

Geostationary satellites offer many benefits, including constant coverage over a specific area, making them useful for telecommunications and weather monitoring. They also have a longer lifespan compared to other types of satellites, reducing the need for frequent replacements.

5. How are geostationary satellites launched into orbit?

Geostationary satellites are typically launched into orbit using rockets, such as the Ariane 5 or Falcon 9. These rockets carry the satellite into space and then use a series of burns to place the satellite into its precise geostationary orbit.