Earth's satellite and its first space speed

In summary, Earth's satellite is the Moon, which orbits around the Earth and is responsible for the tides on our planet. The first spacecraft to reach space was the Soviet Union's Sputnik 1, which traveled at a speed of approximately 18,000 miles per hour in its orbit around the Earth. Sputnik 1 was launched on October 4, 1957 and completed one full orbit in approximately 98 minutes. Its primary purpose was to demonstrate the technological capabilities of the Soviet Union and provide valuable information about the Earth's atmosphere and the feasibility of space travel.
Friendlyplus
New poster has been reminded to show the Relevant Equations and their work on the solution
Homework Statement
Earth's satellite and its first space speed
Relevant Equations
I think Kepler's laws will be helpful
Hello All :)

I am a student of mathematics, but I have only one semester of physics in college. I can't solve one with homework. Will there be anyone wise who can solve this?

The task is as follows:

Calculate: at what height the artificial satellite must move (orbit height): geostationary

determine the first and second cosmic velocities

Physics news on Phys.org
Per forum rules, you must show some attempt.
Think about forces and acceleration of a body in orbit.

1. What is Earth's satellite?

Earth's satellite is the Moon, which is the only natural satellite of the Earth. It orbits around the Earth and is approximately 238,855 miles away from our planet.

2. What is the first space speed achieved by a human-made object?

The first space speed achieved by a human-made object was by the Soviet Union's Sputnik 1 satellite in 1957, which reached a speed of about 18,000 miles per hour as it orbited the Earth.

3. How fast does the Moon orbit around the Earth?

The Moon orbits around the Earth at an average speed of 2,288 miles per hour. However, its speed varies slightly depending on its distance from the Earth.

4. Can the Moon's orbit speed change?

Yes, the Moon's orbit speed can change due to various factors such as gravitational forces from other celestial bodies, tidal forces from the Earth, and the Moon's own internal processes.

5. How long does it take for the Moon to complete one orbit around the Earth?

The Moon takes approximately 27.3 days to complete one orbit around the Earth. This is also known as its sidereal period, which is slightly longer than its synodic period (29.5 days), which is the time it takes for the Moon to return to the same phase.