Easy factoring problem .I think

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to factor a simple expression in order to solve an RSA encoding problem. They are struggling to find the correct method and ask for help. The solution is to factor p from the first two terms and -1 from the last two terms, resulting in (p-1)(q-1).
trap101
Easy factoring problem...I think

Hi,

So I'm working through how to do RSA encoding, but I've stumbled on something very simple in terms of factoring. All I pretty much want to know is:

How do I factor: pq-p-q+1

To get: (p-1)(q-1)

Expanding it isn't the problem...what little trick am I missing.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

trap101 said:
Hi,

So I'm working through how to do RSA encoding, but I've stumbled on something very simple in terms of factoring. All I pretty much want to know is:

How do I factor: pq-p-q+1

To get: (p-1)(q-1)

Expanding it isn't the problem...what little trick am I missing.

Thanks
Factor p from the first two terms. Factor -1 from the last two terms.

***Head slap***...smh. Thanks.

Related to Easy factoring problem .I think

1. What is factoring and why is it important?

Factoring is the process of finding the factors, or numbers that can be multiplied together to get a given number. It is important because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in many areas such as solving equations, simplifying fractions, and finding the roots of polynomial equations.

2. How do you factor a polynomial?

To factor a polynomial, you need to identify its greatest common factor (GCF) and then use the distributive property to break it down into smaller factors. You can also use methods such as grouping, difference of squares, and sum/difference of cubes to factor certain types of polynomials.

3. What are the steps to solve an easy factoring problem?

The steps to solve an easy factoring problem are as follows:
1. Identify the GCF of the terms.
2. Use the distributive property to factor out the GCF.
3. Check if the remaining terms can be factored further.
4. If so, use appropriate factoring methods.
5. Check your answer by multiplying the factors together to see if they equal the original expression.

4. Can all polynomials be factored?

No, not all polynomials can be factored. Some polynomials, such as prime polynomials, cannot be factored into smaller terms with whole number coefficients. However, all polynomials can be factored into a product of linear and quadratic factors.

5. How can factoring be applied in real life?

Factoring can be applied in various real-life situations such as calculating the dimensions of a rectangular garden with a given area, finding the cheapest combination of items to buy at the grocery store, and determining the monthly payments for a mortgage. It is also used in fields such as engineering, economics, and cryptography.