Easy Free Body Diagram Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the free body diagram of a system involving a horizontal bar and a drum on an incline. The weight of the bar causes it to rotate counterclockwise, but there are forces that resist this rotation and keep the bar in equilibrium. The direction of the forces needs to be adjusted to accurately represent the system in the free body diagram.
whitejac

Homework Statement

Draw the free body diagram of the system. (I know that's not what the problem is, but that's what I need clarity on)
20151202_104109.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I drew the same thing, more or less, but for mine Ay went up. This was how a very similar problem was done - the difference being the whole system was on a plane instead of just the wheel. They say it goes down alongside the weight. So Instead of having my moments counteract each other they enhance each other!?

20151202_103449.jpg

Attachments

• 20151202_103333.jpg
    20151202_103333.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
whitejac said:

Homework Statement

Draw the free body diagram of the system. (I know that's not what the problem is, but that's what I need clarity on)
View attachment 92782

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I drew the same thing, more or less, but for mine Ay went up. This was how a very similar problem was done - the difference being the whole system was on a plane instead of just the wheel. They say it goes down alongside the weight. So Instead of having my moments counteract each other they enhance each other!?

View attachment 92780
The weight of the horizontal bar tends to cause it to rotate counterclockwise about point B. Relative to the pin connecting the bar to the drum on the incline, there will be a vertical force which will resist the rotation of the bar, and there is also a horizontal force applied to the pin by the drum wanting to roll down the incline. Relative to the end of the bar at point A where the pin is located, this pair of forces will have their opposites applied to keep the bar and the wheel in equilibrium.
whitejac said:
They say it goes down alongside the weight.

What is 'it' referring to here?

SteamKing said:
What is 'it' referring to here?
The force Ay on the left side of the bar... I believe you called it the relative to the end of the bar at point A where the pin is located.

Here's how I visualized the Bar. I apologize for not calrifying in the first post... this would've helped:
Snapshot.jpg

Ay goes up because the drum is pushing up on the bar, resisting the weight of the bar and the sum of the moments ought to be 0

whitejac said:
Here's how I visualized the Bar. I apologize for not calrifying in the first post... this would've helped:
View attachment 92783
Ay goes up because the drum is pushing up on the bar, resisting the weight of the bar and the sum of the moments ought to be 0
The way you have Ax and Bx drawn, the bar would not be in equilibrium in the horizontal direction. Remember, the drum wants to roll down the incline; it's not stable where it is shown. The Ax force on your bar FBD is resisting the tendency of the drum to roll. Bx should be shown acting in the opposite direction of Ax for the bar.

Ay for the drum is similarly keeping the bar from rotating about point B. Ay for the bar must be shown acting opposite to Ay from the drum. By for the bar also needs to be flipped so that the bar stays in equilibrium in the vertical direction.

SteamKing said:
Ay for the drum is similarly keeping the bar from rotating about point B. Ay for the bar must be shown acting opposite to Ay from the drum. By for the bar also needs to be flipped so that the bar stays in equilibrium in the vertical direction.

Oh yes, I see... that's very sensible when you put it that way. I also noticed that when they took the sum of the moments about B, they received a negative answer for Ay which implies that the arrow was incorrectly asumed.

Related to Easy Free Body Diagram Question

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all the external forces acting on the object and their direction, without any consideration of the object's motion or internal forces.

2. How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you first need to identify all the external forces acting on the object. Then, draw the object as a dot or a box and label it with the object's name. Finally, draw arrows to represent each force, with the length and direction of the arrow showing the magnitude and direction of the force.

3. What are the common mistakes in drawing free body diagrams?

One common mistake is forgetting to include all the external forces acting on the object. Another is using incorrect arrow lengths or directions, which can lead to incorrect calculations. It's also important to label all the forces properly to avoid confusion.

4. Can a free body diagram be used for objects at rest?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for any object, whether it is at rest or in motion. It is a useful tool for analyzing the forces acting on an object and understanding its equilibrium or motion.

5. How does a free body diagram relate to Newton's laws of motion?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force, which is shown in the free body diagram as the net force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force and inversely proportional to its mass, which is represented by the arrows' lengths in the free body diagram. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, which can be shown in the free body diagram by identifying the pairs of action-reaction forces.