Ecological Pyramids: Producers Outnumber Consumers?

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
In summary, according to ecological pyramid of numbers there are far more producers than consumers.How?I mean nowadays human population has increased so much and deforestation is also taking place in spite of all these how producers are far ahead from consumers in terms of numbers?Have i interpreted ecological pyramid correctly?Is it correct that there are far more producers than consumers?in terms of numbers?Numbers? Or, mass?Numbers? Or, mass? There are far more producers than consumers in terms of numbers. However, when it comes to mass, consumers will eat between two and three times their mass per year depending upon their activity level.
Bystander said:
Yes, you said that at 43 kg you'd be eating 103 kg per year, and I agreed, "Give or take a salad," or one or two meals.
if my mass is 43 kg i will be eating 103 kg of biomass of plant per year if i will be eating ONLY salad,otherwise very much than 103 kg.Right?please answer to my 33rd post.

Biology news on Phys.org
pyramid-of-numbers.png

This indicates that there are much producers than consumers.This imply to most of the cases(ecosystem)there are only some exceptions as in oak tree.That's what my question is .Even though population has increased so much,deforestation is on it's peak but still there are lot more producers than consumers.Right?

In this context, yes, still more producers than consumers. Deforestation hasn't decreased number of producers, it's just changed what plants are producing. Population doesn't mean just human population, it includes other animals as well.

Likes gracy
There are usually a lot less consumers, heterotrophs, than producers, autotrophs, because a portion of the energy will always be lost with each transfer. Some of it will be due to heat loss while other parts will be due the energy required to digest and process the producer.

There can be cases in which consumer biomass is greater than producer biomass, but it's only a temporary situation. If producers are killed off, consumers will decline in population as a response because they won't have as much food to support them.