Edge browser reports my posted link here as unsafe

• Thread starter aheight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Edge Link
In summary, the conversation is about the safety of using Dropbox to host files on a Physics Forum thread. The OP has encountered a warning message when using the Edge browser, but not with other browsers. They are wondering if there is a safer alternative for hosting their files. It is suggested to disable website checking on the browser, but it may not be a good idea. The conversation ends with the recommendation to use Dropbox at one's own risk or find a safer file-hosting site.
aheight
Hi,

I have a thread about 3D graphics in Programming/Computer science subforum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/setting-up-3-d-rotation-in-web-page.881634/#post-5550648

where I post a Dropbox link to an HTML5/Javascript file in post #16. When I run Physics Forum with the Edge browser and attempt to click on the WegGL file the browser tells me:

"This website has been reported as unsafe".

Should I not be using this website to post links and if so, can someone suggest a safer website to host my files? I can click on the link with Explorer and Chrome and do not get this warning.

Computer science news on Phys.org
hmm when I use Edge I don't get any warning. Are your security settings really tight? Dropbox is likely tagged as an unsafe link because anyone can get an account and upload malicious content.

Greg Bernhardt said:
hmm when I use Edge I don't get any warning. Are your security settings really tight? Dropbox is likely tagged as an unsafe link because anyone can get an account and upload malicious content.

Ok. I did look into it and noticed can set browser to disable checking of websites. Perhaps not a good idea though to use the site especially since I plan to post interactive graphics in a blog I'm creating. Can you recommend a file-hosting site that is safer for me?

aheight said:
Can you recommend a file-hosting site that is safer for me?
It is safe for you to use, but at your own risk to download files from other users accounts

1. Why is Edge browser reporting my posted link as unsafe?

There could be several reasons why Edge browser is reporting your link as unsafe. It could be due to the link containing malicious code or being associated with a known phishing or scam website. It could also be because the link is outdated or has been flagged by Microsoft's SmartScreen Filter.

2. Is my link actually unsafe, or is it a false positive?

It is possible that your link is actually unsafe, but it could also be a false positive. Microsoft's SmartScreen Filter uses a variety of criteria to determine if a link is unsafe, and sometimes legitimate websites can get flagged. To be sure, you may want to run a scan on the link using a reputable antivirus software.

3. How do I fix the issue of my link being reported as unsafe by Edge browser?

If your link is indeed unsafe, the best course of action would be to remove or fix the malicious code on the website. If it is a false positive, you can report it to Microsoft by clicking on the "Feedback" button in Edge browser and providing details about the link. You can also request a review of the website through Microsoft's Security Intelligence website.

4. Can I still access the link even though it is reported as unsafe?

Yes, you can still access the link despite it being reported as unsafe. However, you will see a warning message from Edge browser cautioning you about the potential risks associated with the link. It is up to your discretion whether you want to proceed to the website or not.

5. How can I prevent my links from being reported as unsafe in the future?

To reduce the chances of your links being reported as unsafe, make sure your website is secure and free from malicious code. You can also register your website with Microsoft's SmartScreen Filter program to proactively protect users from potential threats. Additionally, regularly updating your website and using reputable security software can also help prevent your links from being flagged as unsafe.