Effect of Mass and Force on Acceleration and Distance Traveled in Kinematics

In summary, when a force F produces an acceleration a on a certain body, doubling the mass of the body and increasing the force five-fold will result in the acceleration increasing by 2.5 and the distance traveled by the body in a given time also increasing by 2.5. This can be explained by the equation d = 0.5at^2, where the 1/2 factor remains constant regardless of the acceleration changing. Therefore, the new distance (d2) will be 2.5 times the original distance (d1).
Karajovic
[Solved] Kinematics ratio problem

Homework Statement

A force F produces an acceleration a when applied to a certain body. If the mass of the body is doubled and the force increased five-fold, what will be the effect on the following?
a. its acceleration

b. the distance the body travels in a given time

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. i know its acceleration is increased by 2.5 because if we have xa = 5f/2m, x=5/2

b. i know the distance is increased by 2.5, because everything else remains unchanged... but i can't seem to explain it in using equations... d = v1*t + 1/2at^2, if everything remains unchanged except a, we get: xd = 1/2(5/2a)1t^2 (assuming your velocity is 0 m/s?) i get that x = 5/4 but i know that's wrong, the distance can't be increased by 5/4... :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Karajovic said:

Homework Statement

A force F produces an acceleration a when applied to a certain body. If the mass of the body is doubled and the force increased five-fold, what will be the effect on the following?
a. its acceleration

b. the distance the body travels in a given time

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. i know its acceleration is increased by 2.5 because if we have xa = 5f/2m, x=5/2

b. i know the distance is increased by 2.5, because everything else remains unchanged... but i can't seem to explain it in using equations... d = v1*t + 1/2at^2, if everything remains unchanged except a, we get: xd = 1/2(5/2a)1t^2 (assuming your velocity is 0 m/s?) i get that x = 5/4 but i know that's wrong, the distance can't be increased by 5/4... :confused:

Remember that the 1/2 factor is there regardless if the acceleration is changed or not.

d1 = 0.5at2
d2 = 0.5(2.5a)t2 = 2.5(0.5at2) = 2.5d1

danago said:
Remember that the 1/2 factor is there regardless if the acceleration is changed or not.

d1 = 0.5at2
d2 = 0.5(2.5a)t2 = 2.5(0.5at2) = 2.5d1

Thank you very much!

Related to Effect of Mass and Force on Acceleration and Distance Traveled in Kinematics

1. What is a kinematics ratio problem?

A kinematics ratio problem is a type of physics problem that involves finding the relationship between two quantities, such as displacement and time, using kinematic equations.

2. How do I approach a kinematics ratio problem?

The first step is to identify the quantities given in the problem and the quantity that needs to be solved for. Then, use the appropriate kinematic equation to solve for the unknown quantity.

3. What are some common kinematic equations?

The most commonly used kinematic equations are:
- v = u + at (final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration x time)
- s = ut + 1/2at^2 (displacement = initial velocity x time + 1/2 x acceleration x time squared)
- v^2 = u^2 + 2as (final velocity squared = initial velocity squared + 2 x acceleration x displacement)

4. Can kinematic equations be used for both linear and rotational motion?

No, kinematic equations are only applicable for linear motion. For rotational motion, different equations, such as angular velocity and angular acceleration, are used.

5. How can I check if my answer to a kinematics ratio problem is correct?

You can check your answer by substituting it back into the original equation and ensuring that it satisfies all given values. You can also double check your calculations and units to ensure they are correct.