Effect of relative motion on pressure of gas in a container

Aayush Verma
New user has been reminded to please use proper sentence structure and punctuation in the future.
Homework Statement
I am a high school student and I tried to solve a problem on Kinetic Theory of Gases and ended up being confused at a question given below.

as far as my understanding goes, the pressure exerted by an ideal gas inside walls of a cubic container according to assumptions and postulates of kinetic theory is given by the equation given below. as a gas molecule inside the container (at a particular instant when the rocket is flying upwards) is not in contact of the vessel, it shall hit with the container's bottom wall and there should be a very large impulse imparted to the wall by collision between gas molecule and the wall (assume the collision is elastic)

and so the pressure of whole mixture should increase on all walls, and gravity will not affect the speed of the gas along vertical very much wether the gas is light or heavy because ultimately, the impulse is so large, the change in pressure will be significant and uniform enough in the container.

this is what i thought and then applied conservation of momentum to verify the factor given in option C but the expression came out something close, not exact. the correct option is B.

now I looked at the formula of pressure exerted by the gas on a wall of the container and what I found was that this formula was derived in the frame of reference of the container in which the gas is kept and also we notice this phenomena during the time where the container is already moving with the rocket so if it was initially at rest and then it started to move along with the rocket so basically the increase in pressure is not observed.

what we observed is the changed pressure which remains constant in our observation from ground. I want to know if my thinking is correct or not.
Relevant Equations
The equation link is not working so i posted the image
Screenshot 2023-10-11 193930.png
Screenshot 2023-10-11 194309.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the fact that Earth is in motion affect the pressure of the gas inside the container?

Mister T said:
Does the fact that Earth is in motion affect the pressure of the gas inside the container?
No

Why not? Shouldn't Earth's motion have the same effect as the rocket's?

But how can it affect it ? I mean if the rocket is hypothetically not very far from earth's surface, i.e., within the range of kilometers where effect of altitude on gravitational pull on rocket by earth is not significant,
and the rotation of our earth from which we observe is also not significant up until that instant such that it might make the trajectory appear curved which can make us think that the velocity is constant with changing direction.
So i guess according to that, the motion is rectillinear from ground approximately and then it is possible for pressure to remain constant.

Last edited:
It can't. That's the point.

Aayush Verma said:
the pressure of whole mixture should increase on all walls,
Increase as a result of what? The velocity of the spacecraft?
You need to distinguish between bulk motion and random motion. In the ground frame, if the rocket's velocity is ##\vec v## then the momentum of a gas molecule is ##m_r(\vec v+\vec v_r)##, where ##\Sigma m_r\vec v_r=0##. So the pressure exerted on the walls is the same fore and aft, and unaffected by the rocket's motion.
Or more simply, work in the frame of the rocket. The velocity is given as constant, so it's inertial.

Of course, if the rocket is accelerating it is a different story.

Likes Aayush Verma
Aayush Verma said:
the correct option is B.
I think you mean (2). :wink:

Actually, I think (4) is correct too, depending on how "different" they mean. The box is still in Earth's gravitational field, after all...

Likes Aayush Verma
Not so fast guys. The equation for the kinetic interpretation of pressure is $$pV=\frac{2}{3}\bar K$$ where ##\bar K## is the average kinetic energy (monatomic gas). The standard textbook derivation of this considers atoms bouncing elastically and transferring momentum per unit time per unit area to the walls which, macroscopically is the pressure. In the textbook derivation, the gas is in a container at rest in the lab frame.

What if the container's speed increases? Would the internal energy of the gas increase? It looks like it will because the rms speed will increase. I did a back-of-the-envelope (BOTE) calculation of an atom that starts with speed ##v_0## from the left wall of a 1-D container of length ##L##. Simultaneously with the atom, the container starts accelerating to the right with constant acceleration ##a##.

After a collision with a wall of infinite mass, the final velocity of the atom ##v_{\!f}## is related to the initial velocity ##v_i## by $$~v_{\!f}=−v_i+2V_{\text{wall}}.$$ The velocity of the container is not affected by the collision. One then has to use the SUVAT equations to find the collision time and atom velocity after each collision.

It is convenient to define a dimensionless quantity ##\beta\equiv \sqrt{1−2aL/v_0^2.}##
The velocity of the atom after the first collision is ##v_1=v_0(1−2\beta).##
The velocity of the atom after the second collision is ##v_2=v_0(3−2\beta).##

Now ##\beta <1## which means that ##|v_1|<|v_0|.## This is expected because both the atom and the wall are moving in the same direction when the first collision occurs. However, note that after the first round trip, the speed ##v_2## is greater than ##v_0##. Thus, the speed of the atom increases after each round trip. This means that ##v_{\text{rms}}## increases and so does the temperature for as long as the acceleration is non-zero. If the temperature rises and the volume stays constant, the pressure must rise.

Since ##v_{\text{rms}}## depends on ##\beta##, the pressure rise will also depend on ##\beta##. None of the four choices offered fits this. There must be acceleration because the container must be at rest on the Earth in order to be filled first and then acquire a velocity of 500 m/s. There is no magic wand to wave that will cause the container to move from zero to 500 m/s without acceleration.

Last edited:
Likes Aayush Verma and haruspex
kuruman said:
Not so fast guys. The equation for the kinetic interpretation of pressure is $$pV=\frac{2}{3}\bar K$$ where ##\bar K## is the average kinetic energy (monatomic gas). The standard textbook derivation of this considers atoms bouncing elastically and transferring momentum per unit time per unit area to the walls which, macroscopically is the pressure. In the textbook derivation, the gas is in a container at rest in the lab frame.

What if the container's speed increases? Would the internal energy of the gas increase? It looks like it will because the rms speed will increase. I did a back-of-the-envelope (BOTE) calculation of an atom that starts with speed ##v_0## from the left wall of a 1-D container of length ##L##. Simultaneously with the atom, the container starts accelerating to the right with constant acceleration ##a##.

After a collision with a wall of infinite mass, the final velocity of the atom ##v_{\!f}## is related to the initial velocity ##v_i## by $$~v_{\!f}=−v_i+2V_{\text{wall}}.$$ The velocity of the container is not affected by the collision. One then has to use the SUVAT equations to find the collision time and atom velocity after each collision.

It is convenient to define a dimensionless quantity ##\beta\equiv \sqrt{1−2aL/v_0^2.}##

Now ##\beta <1## which means that ##|v_1|<|v_0|.## This is expected because both the atom and the wall are moving in the same direction when the first collision occurs. However, note that after the first round trip, the speed ##v_2## is greater than ##v_0##. Thus, the speed of the atom increases after each round trip. This means that ##v_{\text{rms}}## increases and so does the temperature for as long as the acceleration is non-zero. If the temperature rises and the volume stays constant, the pressure must rise.

Since ##v_{\text{rms}}## depends on ##\beta##, the pressure rise will also depend on ##\beta##. None of the four choices offered fits this. There must be acceleration because the container must be at rest on the Earth in order to be filled first and then acquire a velocity of 500 m/s. There is no magic wand to wave that will cause the container to move from zero to 500 m/s without acceleration.
Yes, I confess I misinterpreted the question, thinking it was about variation in pressure within the container while at the given velocity.

Last edited:
kuruman said:

I agree with you but our duration of observation is in the state where rocket has achieved the required speed and is moving with zero acceleration, so that makes the 2nd option correct. although you are also correct to think that practically it must have accelerated to be where it is.

Aayush Verma said:
I agree with you but our duration of observation is in the state where rocket has achieved the required speed and is moving with zero acceleration, so that makes the 2nd option correct. although you are also correct to think that practically it must have accelerated to be where it is.
That may be so. However, option 2 says that the "pressure remains the same" which is a bit unclear because one wonders "the same as what?" It would have been better to have said "stays constant while the rocket is moving at 500 m/s."

1. How does the pressure of gas in a container change with relative motion?

The pressure of gas in a container is directly affected by the relative motion of the container. When the container is in motion, the gas molecules inside also move, causing them to collide with the walls of the container more frequently. This increases the pressure inside the container.

2. Does the direction of relative motion affect the pressure of gas in a container?

Yes, the direction of relative motion does have an impact on the pressure of gas in a container. When the container is moving towards the gas molecules, the pressure will increase due to the increased frequency of collisions. On the other hand, if the container is moving away from the gas molecules, the pressure will decrease.

3. How does the speed of relative motion affect the pressure of gas in a container?

The speed of relative motion also plays a role in the pressure of gas in a container. The faster the container moves, the more energy the gas molecules will have, resulting in more frequent and forceful collisions with the container walls. This will lead to an increase in pressure.

4. Can the pressure of gas in a container be affected by multiple sources of relative motion?

Yes, the pressure of gas in a container can be influenced by multiple sources of relative motion. For example, if the container is moving while also being exposed to wind or air currents, the pressure inside the container will be affected by both sources of motion.

5. How does the shape of the container affect the pressure of gas with relative motion?

The shape of the container can also impact the pressure of gas with relative motion. A container with a larger surface area will experience more frequent collisions with the gas molecules, resulting in a higher pressure. On the other hand, a container with a smaller surface area will have fewer collisions and therefore a lower pressure.