Effective electron mass of tungsten

In summary, the conversation discusses the effective electron and hole mass of tungsten and the band structure of tungsten and how it affects the effective mass. The person asking the questions also mentions wanting to calculate the volume concentration of W-AlN at 300K and asks for clarification on using a formula to do so. A reference is provided for further information on the energy band structure and thermo-mechanical properties of tungsten and tungsten carbides.
yeyintkoko
Hello!
Please tell me what Effective electron mass of tungsten and Effective hole mass of tungsten?

Physics news on Phys.org
yeyintkoko said:
Hello!
Please tell me what Effective electron mass of tungsten and Effective hole mass of tungsten?

This is vague and undefined.

First of all, do you know how "effective mass" is defined? You never indicated that you do.

Secondly, the effective mass of anything depends on the curvature of the band structure (which you would have known if you know how effective mass is defined). It means that it can have more than one value, depending on where on the band structure you are looking at.

Finally, do you know the band structure of tungsten?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is vague and undefined.

First of all, do you know how "effective mass" is defined? You never indicated that you do.

Secondly, the effective mass of anything depends on the curvature of the band structure (which you would have known if you know how effective mass is defined). It means that it can have more than one value, depending on where on the band structure you are looking at.

Finally, do you know the band structure of tungsten?

Zz.
Thanks for reply.
I want to calculate volume concentration(cm-3) of W-AlN at 300K. (If W filled 10 % volume, how many concentration in sample W10 - AlN90.)
Now i know effective mass of electron and hole AlN (me = 0.4 moand mh =3.53 mo) and energy band gap of AlN (6.01 eV). But don't known properties of tungsten. Can i calculate volume concentration using this formula? n = (Nc·Nv)1/2exp[-Eg/(2 · kb · T)]

What is the effective electron mass of tungsten?

The effective electron mass of tungsten is a measure of how the electrons behave in the material. It is typically denoted as m* and is different from the actual mass of an electron. It takes into account the interactions between the electrons and the surrounding material.

How is the effective electron mass of tungsten determined?

The effective electron mass of tungsten is determined experimentally by measuring the electrons' behavior in the material. This can be done through various techniques, such as Hall effect measurements, cyclotron resonance, and optical spectroscopy.

What factors affect the effective electron mass of tungsten?

The effective electron mass of tungsten is influenced by several factors, including temperature, crystal structure, and impurities in the material. The interactions between the electrons and the lattice of the material also play a significant role in determining the effective mass.

Why is the effective electron mass of tungsten important?

The effective electron mass of tungsten is an essential property in understanding the electronic behavior of the material. It affects the electrical and thermal properties of tungsten and is crucial in the design and development of electronic devices and materials.

How does the effective electron mass of tungsten compare to other materials?

The effective electron mass of tungsten is relatively high compared to other materials. It is about 0.6 times the mass of an electron, which is higher than most metals. This is due to the strong interactions between the electrons and the tungsten lattice, making it a good conductor of electricity.