Efficiently Bend 4 Feet of Mild Steel with a Hydraulic Press Brake

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a hydraulic press brake for bending mild steel. The person plans to use three 20-ton jacks to evenly distribute the necessary force of 60 tons. However, there are concerns about maintaining equal pressure during the bend and the suitability of the chosen material for the press frame. The person has decided to hold off on the project and reconsider their approach.
JMTC
Hi all, I am designing a Hydraulic press brake to air bend up to 4 feet of 1/8 in mild steel.
I know it will take 11 tons of force per foot of material, 44 ton to do the trick.
A 60 ton jack will cost over $1000, where 3-20 ton jacks are $40 each.
My question, if I evenly space the 3 20 ton jacks along the 4 foot length & connect them so they all jack at the same time, will there be 60 ton of force applied to the work.

I have been searching for days, then came across this site which answered my question but not with enough certainty for me to proceed with the project.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Im going to buy the material today, I guess I'll just have to hope it works.

JMTC said:
... My question, if I evenly space the 3 20 ton jacks along the 4 foot length & connect them so they all jack at the same time, will there be 60 ton of force applied to the work. ...
In the simplest terms, possibly. There are myriad variables in play.

IMHO, you're going to have problems keeping three independent jacks at equal pressure during the bend. You may need to bottom-bend to get a consistent result. (Bottom-bending also requires much greater tonnage.)

Thanks for the input pantaz, I decided to hold off & re-think this project, I have been estimating material size thickness for the "H" frame of the press, "I" beam I planned on using is likley not up to the job either. With all the time & money involved failure is not an option.

Jim

Related to Efficiently Bend 4 Feet of Mild Steel with a Hydraulic Press Brake

1. What is a hydraulic press brake?

A hydraulic press brake is a machine used in the metalworking industry to bend and shape metal sheets into various shapes and forms. It uses hydraulic force to apply pressure on the metal sheet, allowing for precise and efficient bending.

2. How does a hydraulic press brake work?

A hydraulic press brake works by using a hydraulic cylinder to apply force on a punch, which then presses down on the metal sheet to bend it. The amount of pressure applied can be controlled through the use of a control panel, allowing for precise bending.

3. What are the advantages of using a hydraulic press brake?

Some advantages of using a hydraulic press brake include its ability to bend thick and heavy metal sheets with ease, its precise bending capabilities, and its efficiency in completing repetitive bending tasks.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when operating a hydraulic press brake?

When operating a hydraulic press brake, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses. It is also important to follow all safety guidelines and procedures outlined by the manufacturer, and to regularly inspect and maintain the machine for any potential hazards.

5. What are some common applications of a hydraulic press brake?

A hydraulic press brake is commonly used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and construction to bend and shape metal sheets for various purposes. It can be used to create parts for vehicles, machinery, and buildings, among other things.