Effortlessly Send Data via Motion Sensors with WIFI Technology

In summary, the conversation discusses the best approach for sending information to the web through motion sensors. Suggestions include connecting the sensor to a device capable of reading and forwarding the data, using a python database API for a Raspberry Pi, and becoming a retail reseller of an existing commercial wifi sensor. The issue of manipulating the data and connecting it to a database software is also mentioned, with the recommendation to take programming courses for a better understanding.
Somali_Physicist
Does anyone know how i can send information to the web through motion sensors?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please elaborate, this is rather ambiguous so far.

In general you should connect the sensor to something capable of both reading the sensor state and forwarding the information. Arduino with WiFi shield, ESP2866 module, Raspberry Pi (Zero should be enough) - something like that.

Likes davenn
Borek said:
Please elaborate, this is rather ambiguous so far.

In general you should connect the sensor to something capable of both reading the sensor state and forwarding the information. Arduino with WiFi shield, ESP2866 module, Raspberry Pi (Zero should be enough) - something like that.
I want to basically check if someone walked into a room, so if X enters or leaves a room , uptick 1.If X leaves a room uptick -1. However i want the upticks to be sent to an online database.

OK.

My advice still holds.

Borek said:
OK.

My advice still holds.
but i want to use a commercial wifi sensor.Building it my self would involve liabilities since i am selling a system.

I believe there is a python database API that you could possibly make use of, if you choose to use a raspberry pi. Which should be quite familiar if you've worked with databases before. Here are some popular compatible database interfaces:
- GadFly
- mSQL
- MySQL
- PostgreSQL
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000
- Informix
- Interbase
- Oracle
- Sybase

Once you've got all that set up, it should just be a case of uploading the motion sensor's data to the database. You would also need to configure the sensor's sensitivity, possibly write a bit of code that will upload the data when a certain condition is met such as a time interval or you'll just over load the database with data. And then if you wanted to, make it log the data so you can see what's triggering it throughout the day. And then you should have a fairly good Internet motion sensor.

Additional information about the python database API can be found here:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0249/

Hope this helps, I'm no expert but this would be my best approach!

Somali_Physicist said:
but i want to use a commercial wifi sensor.Building it my self would involve liabilities since i am selling a system.

Do you mean something like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7D557R/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you don't already know how to design it, it may make sense to become a retail reseller of a product that other people already make.

anorlunda said:
Do you mean something like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7D557R/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you don't already know how to design it, it may make sense to become a retail reseller of a product that other people already make.
Kind of , i want to be able to manipulate the data.Also i want to be for small rooms , thus if it shouldn't detect motion past a limited angle.(The latter could probably be fixed with just fancy cardboard.

Somali_Physicist said:
Kind of , i want to be able to manipulate the data.

Manipulation would typically be done in the smart phone app that received the data.

So is the problem with manipulating the data, connecting existing WiFi sensor to the database on some computer, or about making a sensor that is able to send the information to the database?

Or is it all at the same time?

anorlunda said:
Manipulation would typically be done in the smart phone app that received the data.
Borek said:
So is the problem with manipulating the data, connecting existing WiFi sensor to the database on some computer, or about making a sensor that is able to send the information to the database?

Or is it all at the same time?
The software part, how could i send raw data into my computer so i can manipulate with a database software.

Somali_Physicist said:
The software part, how could i send raw data into my computer so i can manipulate with a database software.

You have a lot of learning to do. The question is, "How can my program get data from the Internet?" That's too big a question for a forum. Instead, you need some programming courses.

Likes TechTree

What is the purpose of sending data via motion sensors with WIFI technology?

The purpose of sending data via motion sensors with WIFI technology is to collect and transmit real-time data on movement and activity. This can be used for various applications such as monitoring physical activity, tracking the movement of objects, and detecting any changes in the environment.

What types of motion sensors are commonly used for WIFI data transmission?

The most commonly used motion sensors for WIFI data transmission are accelerometers, gyroscopes, and magnetometers. These sensors work together to measure motion, orientation, and magnetic fields, respectively. This combination allows for accurate and comprehensive data collection.

How does WIFI technology enable effortless data transmission through motion sensors?

WIFI technology enables effortless data transmission through motion sensors by providing a wireless connection for the sensors to communicate with the internet. This eliminates the need for physical cables and allows for real-time data transmission without any manual effort.

What are the advantages of using WIFI technology for data transmission with motion sensors?

The advantages of using WIFI technology for data transmission with motion sensors include faster and more reliable data transfer, increased mobility and flexibility, and the ability to connect multiple sensors to a single network. WIFI also allows for remote monitoring and control of the sensors.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using WIFI technology for data transmission with motion sensors?

One limitation of using WIFI technology for data transmission with motion sensors is the potential for interference from other electronic devices or obstacles in the environment. Additionally, WIFI networks may be limited in range, which could affect the data collection in larger or outdoor spaces.