Eigenvalue and Eigenvectors

In summary: Suppose ##v## is an eigenvector of matrix ##A## with eigenvalue zero: ##Av=0##. If there's an inverse matrix ##A^{-1}##, we should have ##A^{-1}Av=A^{-1}0##, or equivalently ##v=A^{-1}0##. Is this possible?...Yes, it is possible to find the inverse of a matrix if and only if it has a nonzero determinant.
mr-feeno
1) Given 2x2 matrix A with A^t = A. How many linearly independent eigenvectors is A?
2) Is a square matrix with zero eigenvalue invertible?

2; When it comes to whether it is invertible; the det(A-λ* I) v = 0
where det (A-λ * I) v = 0 where λ = 0
We get Av = 0, where the eigenvector is zero. But this proves anything?
Or it is possible to prove that det(A) ≠ 0? I am not sure about how to prove it

I feel I lack some theory behind it all.
Im completely blank on the first, so thanks for all your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose ##v## is an eigenvector of matrix ##A## with eigenvalue zero: ##Av=0##. If there's an inverse matrix ##A^{-1}##, we should have ##A^{-1}Av=A^{-1}0##, or equivalently ##v=A^{-1}0##. Is this possible? What properties are required from an eigenvector?

Likes mr-feeno
mr-feeno said:

Homework Statement

1) Given 2x2 matrix A with A^t = A. How many linearly independent eigenvectors is A?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2: When it comes to whether it is invertible, the det(A-λ* I) v = 0
It doesn't really make sense to write, as you did, ##\det(A-\lambda I)\vec{v} = 0##. An eigenvector satisfies ##A\vec{v} = \lambda \vec{v}##, which you can write equivalently as ##(A-I\lambda)\vec{v} = 0##. For this system to have a non-trivial solution, you must have ##\det(A-\lambda I) = 0##.

We get Av = 0, where the eigenvector is zero. But does this prove anything?
Or it is possible to prove that det(A) ≠ 0? I'm not sure about how to prove it.
You might find it useful to review the basics about matrices, inverses, and determinants. If you don't know what implies what, you're really not in a position to try prove anything.

I feel I lack some theory behind it all. I'm completely blank on the first, so thanks for all your help.
Try explicitly solving for the eigenvectors of a symmetric 2x2 matrix. That is, start with ##A = \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ b & d\end{pmatrix}## and find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. See if that gets you anywhere.

mr-feeno said:

2; When it comes to whether it is invertible; the det(A-λ* I) v = 0
We get Av = 0, where the eigenvector is zero. But this proves anything?
Or it is possible to prove that det(A) ≠ 0? I am not sure about how to prove it

I feel I lack some theory behind it all.
Im completely blank on the first, so thanks for all your help
Hi mr-feeno,

Invertible means the same thing as in "invertible function". We are seeking a "reverse" function that can give us back the original vector from the image of a vector in the range of the matrix transformation. That is, consider the matrix A as a function f(v) = Av, where Av is ordinary matrix multiplication of the matrix A with an arbitrary vector v. If Av = 0v = 0 for any particular vector v, notice what happens if we try any vector that is a scalar multiple of v as an input to our function. Suppose w = kv for any scalar k. Then f(w) = Aw = Akv = kAv = k*0 = 0. So every single vector that is a scalar multiple of v will be sent to 0 if v is sent to 0. Think of trying to invert this action. Given 0, we would like the inverse function to tell us which vector was sent to 0. Is it possible, given that more than one vector was sent to 0?
If you need to do it with arithmetic, then we recall that a square matrix is not invertible if and only if its determinant is 0 (this theorem is part of a large laundry list of basic interrelated determinant properties that you should have somewhere in your text or notes). As you have shown that the determinant is 0, you may then imply that the square matrix is not invertible (also referred to as being "singular"). The reason why was described in greater detail above.
For part 1., the fact that it is a 2x2 matrix that is symmetric means it must be of the form
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b\\ b & c\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
for some numbers a, b, and c. Try to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of this type of matrix. What does this tell you?

hilbert2 said:
Suppose ##v## is an eigenvector of matrix ##A## with eigenvalue zero: ##Av=0##. If there's an inverse matrix ##A^{-1}##, we should have ##A^{-1}Av=A^{-1}0##, or equivalently ##v=A^{-1}0##. Is this possible? What properties are required from an eigenvector?

[tex] v=A^-1 *0[/tex] By definition, No.It must be non-trivial. Can you also think ;If 0 is an eigenvalue, then that matrix would be similar to a matrix whose determinant is equal to zero?

slider142 said:
Hi mr-feeno,

Invertible means the same thing as in "invertible function". We are seeking a "reverse" function that can give us back the original vector from the image of a vector in the range of the matrix transformation. That is, consider the matrix A as a function f(v) = Av, where Av is ordinary matrix multiplication of the matrix A with an arbitrary vector v. If Av = 0v = 0 for any particular vector v, notice what happens if we try any vector that is a scalar multiple of v as an input to our function. Suppose w = kv for any scalar k. Then f(w) = Aw = Akv = kAv = k*0 = 0. So every single vector that is a scalar multiple of v will be sent to 0 if v is sent to 0. Think of trying to invert this action. Given 0, we would like the inverse function to tell us which vector was sent to 0. Is it possible, given that more than one vector was sent to 0?
If you need to do it with arithmetic, then we recall that a square matrix is not invertible if and only if its determinant is 0 (this theorem is part of a large laundry list of basic interrelated determinant properties that you should have somewhere in your text or notes). As you have shown that the determinant is 0, you may then imply that the square matrix is not invertible (also referred to as being "singular"). The reason why was described in greater detail above.
For part 1., the fact that it is a 2x2 matrix that is symmetric means it must be of the form
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b\\ b & c\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
for some numbers a, b, and c. Try to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of this type of matrix. What does this tell you?

I'll do it. Thanks for a a detailed answer

What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents how an eigenvector is scaled when multiplied by a transformation matrix. It is often denoted by the Greek letter lambda (λ) and can be positive, negative, or zero.

What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a non-zero vector that, when multiplied by a transformation matrix, results in a scalar multiple of itself. In other words, the direction of an eigenvector remains unchanged after the transformation.

Why are eigenvalues and eigenvectors important?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and statistics. They are used in various applications such as analyzing data, solving differential equations, and understanding the behavior of systems.

How do you find eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

To find eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix, you need to solve the characteristic equation of the matrix. This involves finding the roots of the characteristic polynomial, which is a function of the matrix's elements. The resulting eigenvalues are then used to find the corresponding eigenvectors.

What is the relationship between eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are closely related, as each eigenvalue corresponds to a unique eigenvector. The eigenvector represents the direction in which the transformation matrix has the greatest effect, while the eigenvalue represents the magnitude of that effect.