Eigenvalues of Fermionic field operator

In summary, the second quantized fermionic field operators do not have eigenvalues since they cannot be diagonalized and are not hermitian. However, operators such as ##\psi+\psi^\dagger## and ##i(\psi-\psi^\dagger)## can be used to express the Hamiltonian in terms of hermitian operators. These operators do not satisfy the anti-commutation relations of the field operators.
Neutrinos02
Hello,

I'm a bit confused about the eigenvalues of the second quantized fermionic field operators [itex] \psi(x)_a[/itex]. Since these operators satisfy the condition [itex] \{\psi(x)_a, \psi(y)_b\} = 0 [/itex] the eigenvalues should also anti-commute? Does this mean that the eigenvalues of [itex] \psi(x)_a[/itex] are Grassmann-numbers?

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
The Pauli matrices ##\sigma_x## and ##\sigma_y## also anti-commute. Would you also conclude that they have Grassmann valued eigenvalues?

No, but the eigenvalues are not matrices? And in the path integral formalism we use Grassmann valued fields.

DrDu said:
The Pauli matrices ##\sigma_x## and ##\sigma_y## also anti-commute. Would you also conclude that they have Grassmann valued eigenvalues?
There is one important difference:
$$ \psi_a(x)\psi_a(x)=0$$
but
$$\sigma_x\sigma_x \neq 0$$
A fermionic field operator cannot be diagonalized and it does not have eigenvalues. A Pauli matrix can be diagonalized and it does have eigenvalues. Fermionic field operator is not hermitian, Pauli matrix is hermitian.

But isn't there a self-adjoint extension with generalized eigenstates like for the QM operators [itex] x,p [/itex]?

Neutrinos02 said:
But isn't there a self-adjoint extension with generalized eigenstates like for the QM operators [itex] x,p [/itex]?
No.

I just wanted to give a counter example of anti-commuting operators which have eigenvalues. Even more field operator like are the matrices ##\sigma_\pm=\sigma_x\pm i\sigma_y##. They anticommute and are non-hermitian. They are not diagonisable.

DrDu said:
I just wanted to give a counter example of anti-commuting operators which have eigenvalues. Even more field operator like are the matrices ##\sigma_\pm=\sigma_x\pm i\sigma_y##. They anticommute and are non-hermitian. They are not diagonisable.
Yes, ##\sigma_\pm## is a much better analog of fermionic field. ##\sigma_\pm## does not have (non-zero) eigenvalues.

In some developments of the quantum mechanics of fermions (an example is "Quantum Field Theory of Point Particles and Strings" by Brian Hatfield), Feynman's path integral is extended to include integration over non-commuting Grassman variables. I personally find it hard to understand, because I'm used to thinking of noncommutation as being a property of operators, not variables.

stevendaryl said:
Feynman's path integral is extended to include integration over non-commuting Grassman variables.
A long time ago I have tried to overcome this
https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0210307
but a smart referee found an error for the case of many fermionic degrees, which I couldn't repair. (If someone is interested, Eq. (21), which would be needed in a consistent approach, is not really satisfied by my construction. A more complicated construction is needed to satisfy (21), but then the formalism is too complicated to be useful.)

But in the case of one fermionic degree of freedom my approach is perfectly fine. The final result in this case is the functional integral (14). It's nice from a conceptual point of view, but probably not too useful.

Last edited:
So the only possibility to get hermitian operators are the number-operators? But could the Lagrangian (it should also be hermitian) be rewriten in terms of number-operators?

Neutrinos02 said:
So the only possibility to get hermitian operators are the number-operators? But could the Lagrangian (it should also be hermitian) be rewriten in terms of number-operators?
No, you can also express your Hamiltonian in terms of e.g. ##\psi+\psi^\dagger## and ## i(\psi-\psi^\dagger)## which are hermitian.

Likes Demystifier
DrDu said:
No, you can also express your Hamiltonian in terms of e.g. ##\psi+\psi^\dagger## and ## i(\psi-\psi^\dagger)## which are hermitian.

Thanks. So the eigenvalues of this operators are real?

But shouldn't the hermitian operators [itex] \psi + \psi^\dagger[/itex] and [itex] i(\psi - \psi^\dagger)[/itex] you gave, satisfy the commutation relations if and only if [itex] \psi, \psi^\dagger [/itex] satisfy the anti-commutation relations?

Last edited:
Neutrinos02 said:
But shouldn't the hermitian operators [itex] \psi + \psi^\dagger[/itex] and [itex] i(\psi - \psi^\dagger)[/itex] you gave, satisfy the commutation relations if and only if [itex] \psi, \psi^\dagger [/itex] satisfy the anti-commutation relations?
No. See Eq. (4) in the paper I linked above.

1. What are eigenvalues of a Fermionic field operator?

The eigenvalues of a Fermionic field operator are the numerical values that satisfy the operator equation when acting on a particular state vector. In simpler terms, they are the values that result from applying the operator on a specific state.

2. How are the eigenvalues of a Fermionic field operator calculated?

The eigenvalues of a Fermionic field operator can be calculated using various methods, such as diagonalization or perturbation theory. These methods involve finding the roots of the characteristic equation for the operator.

3. What do the eigenvalues of a Fermionic field operator represent?

The eigenvalues of a Fermionic field operator represent the possible outcomes or measurements of a physical quantity associated with the operator. In quantum mechanics, these physical quantities are observables that can be measured.

4. Can the eigenvalues of a Fermionic field operator be complex numbers?

Yes, the eigenvalues of a Fermionic field operator can be complex numbers. This is because the solutions to the characteristic equation can be complex, and the eigenvalues are the roots of this equation.

5. How do the eigenvalues of a Fermionic field operator relate to the energy levels of a system?

In quantum mechanics, the eigenvalues of a Fermionic field operator represent the energy levels of a system. The eigenvalue with the lowest magnitude corresponds to the ground state energy level, while higher magnitude eigenvalues correspond to higher energy levels.