Symmetrized Lagrangian (second quantization)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the correct symmetrized Lagrangian for field operators, with a proposed Lagrangian of $$\mathcal{L} = i[\overline{\psi}_a,({\partial_\mu}\gamma^\mu \psi)^a] -m[\overline{\psi}_a,\psi^a ]$$. There is also a question about rearranging the Lagrangian to have all barred psi on the left and all psi on the right, and a suggestion to add an additional four divergence to ensure hermiticity.
Neutrinos02
Hello,

I need some help to find the correct symmetrized Lagrangian for the field operators. After some work I guess that

$$\mathcal{L} = i[\overline{\psi}_a,({\partial_\mu}\gamma^\mu \psi)^a] -m[\overline{\psi}_a,\psi^a ]$$

should be the correct Lagrangian but I'm not sure with this.

I'm also interested in the question of reordinger this Lagrangian in such a way that all [itex]\overline{\psi}[/itex] are on the left and all [itex]\psi[/itex] are on the right side. My problem: I don't know how to deal with products like [itex](\partial_\mu \gamma^\mu \psi) \overline{\psi}[/itex]

Thanks for your help.
Neutrino

Physics news on Phys.org
haushofer said:
How do you define e.g. the second term?
It should be [itex] [\overline{\psi}_a, \psi^a] := \sum_a \overline{\psi}_a \cdot \psi^a - \psi^a \cdot \overline{\psi}_a[/itex]..
To ensure that the Lagrangian is hermitian we may add an aditional four divergence.

I'm sorry, I only understand the first term where the barred psi comes first.

What is the Symmetrized Lagrangian in second quantization?

The Symmetrized Lagrangian in second quantization is a mathematical framework used to describe quantum systems with many particles. It is an extension of the traditional Lagrangian formalism used in classical mechanics, which is used to describe the behavior of a single particle. In second quantization, the particles are treated as indistinguishable, and the symmetrization is necessary to account for this property.

How is the Symmetrized Lagrangian different from the traditional Lagrangian?

The traditional Lagrangian only accounts for the behavior of a single particle, while the Symmetrized Lagrangian takes into account the behavior of multiple particles. The Symmetrized Lagrangian also includes terms that account for the indistinguishability of particles, which is not present in the traditional Lagrangian.

Why is symmetrization necessary in second quantization?

In quantum mechanics, particles are described by wave functions, which can have both positive and negative values. When multiple particles are present, these wave functions can interfere with each other, resulting in different probabilities for the particles' positions. The symmetrization of the Lagrangian takes into account this interference and ensures that the resulting equations of motion are consistent with the laws of quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of the symmetrized Lagrangian in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, the symmetrized Lagrangian is used to describe the behavior of fields, which are fundamental entities that describe the interactions between particles. It is essential because it allows for the description of systems with an arbitrary number of particles, making it a powerful tool in understanding complex quantum systems.

How is the symmetrized Lagrangian used in practical applications?

The symmetrized Lagrangian is used in various areas of physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum chemistry. It is used to derive equations of motion for quantum systems, which can then be used to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of these systems. It is also used in developing new theories and models to explain experimental observations.