• Start date
  • Tags
    alignment
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
This article seems to suggest four lobes is the optimum
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's specific to an elliptical mass - each axis gives you a pair of images, IIRC. With a spherical mass you can, in principle, get a ring.

• Informative
Likes Drakkith, Vanadium 50 and fresh_42
Ibix said:
It's specific to an elliptical mass - each axis gives you a pair of images, IIRC. With a spherical mass you can, in principle, get a ring.
Ah! That's what I deduced after ruminating upon it.

Although it still doesn't seem to fit. There's no particular reason for the major and minor axes to happen to focus on Earth's locale. It seem it is just as likely, but random change that the right focal length might happen at, say, 45 degrees.

DaveC426913 said:
There's no particular reason for the major and minor axes to happen to focus on Earth'
If you had only one example, sure. But there are multiple examples, and when you pick one with a certain characteristic ("looks pretty") in impacts others.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you had only one example, sure. But there are multiple examples, and when you pick one with a certain characteristic ("looks pretty") in impacts others.
That's why I wonder if I'm reading too much into the text:

"When the alignment is nearly perfect and the lens mass has an elliptical distribution, the background source would appear as quadruply lensed."

...as if there is some ultimate case where parameters conspire for the "ideal" ring.

Are you suggesting that "ideal" is aesthetic, as opposed to geometrically optimal?

DaveC426913 said:
Are you suggesting that "ideal" is aesthetic, as opposed to geometrically optimal?
The perfect alignment means you, lensing galaxy, and lensed galaxy lying on a straight line. If you're too far off-axis in one direction but not the other you might find you only see three images.
DaveC426913 said:
There's no particular reason for the major and minor axes to happen to focus on Earth's locale.
A gravitational lens is a terrible lens, but this does mean that if you are on axis there is a huge range of distances over which you will see lensing. So overlap between "focus" of one bad lens axis and the other is not unlikely.

DaveC426913 said:
That's why I wonder if I'm reading too much into the text:

"When the alignment is nearly perfect and the lens mass has an elliptical distribution, the background source would appear as quadruply lensed."

...as if there is some ultimate case where parameters conspire for the "ideal" ring.

You saw this one?

1695732130998.png

Likes DaveC426913
pinball1970 said:
You saw this one?

View attachment 332609
Yes, this is what I considered a "perfect" Einstein Ring.

So I was reading too much into the term "perfect" in the OP quote.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes, this is what I considered a "perfect" Einstein Ring.

So I was reading too much into the term "perfect" in the OP quote.
If you blow it up you can see four lobes too.

Likes collinsmark

What is an Einstein ring?

An Einstein ring is a phenomenon that occurs when light from a distant object, such as a galaxy, is bent and distorted by the gravitational pull of a closer object, such as a massive galaxy or cluster of galaxies. This creates a ring-like image of the distant object around the closer object.

Why does an Einstein ring have four images?

An Einstein ring has four images because the light from the distant object is bent and distorted by the gravitational pull of the closer object in four different directions. This results in four separate images of the same object appearing around the closer object.

How is an Einstein ring formed?

An Einstein ring is formed when the light from a distant object passes through the gravitational field of a closer object, causing it to be bent and distorted. This bending of light creates a ring-like image of the distant object around the closer object.

Can an Einstein ring be seen with the naked eye?

No, an Einstein ring cannot be seen with the naked eye. The objects involved in creating an Einstein ring are typically very far away and the ring itself is very faint. It can only be observed using powerful telescopes and specialized imaging techniques.

What can we learn from studying Einstein rings?

Studying Einstein rings can provide valuable information about the distribution of matter in the universe and the effects of gravity on light. It can also help us understand the properties of distant objects, such as galaxies, and their interactions with other objects in the universe.