Elastic Collision: Finding Velocities After Collision

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a 5.00g object moving to the right at 20.0cm/s that makes an elastic head-on collision with a 10.0g object at rest. The question is to find the velocity of each object after the collision. The conversation discusses the use of conservation of momentum and energy equations to solve the problem, and the difficulties the person is having with understanding and applying these concepts.
Chica1975

Homework Statement

a 5.00g object moving to the right at 20.0cm/s makes an elastic head-on collision with a 10.0g object that is initially at rest. Find the velocity of each object after the collision.

Homework Equations

p=mv
m1v1 +m2v2/m=m1=m2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted this question several times.

I have converted all units to kg and m/s before starting all calculations.
I found the momentum for each using p=mv but this was not the right answer.
then I tried the other equation I have given and tried to minus the initial velocity from answer - still its not correct.

I am not great at collisions and find these really difficult - esp the conservation of energy/momentum concepts. I don't know to translate the conceptual into the application using equations and the info given in the question.

Please someone help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Chica1975! :smile:
Chica1975 said:
I have converted all units to kg and m/s before starting all calculations.
I found the momentum for each using p=mv but this was not the right answer.
then I tried the other equation I have given and tried to minus the initial velocity from answer - still its not correct.

I am not great at collisions and find these really difficult - esp the conservation of energy/momentum concepts. I don't know to translate the conceptual into the application using equations and the info given in the question.

In collisions, momentum is always conserved.

In collisions, energy is never conserved unless the question says so … in this case it does, because it uses the word "elastic".

You always need two equations to solve a collision question … one is always conservation of momentum, the other is either conservation of energy or some other constraint like "perfeclty inelastic" or " coefficient of restitution = 0.5".

So here you'll need both of the conservation equations …

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

1. What is an elastic head-on collision?

An elastic head-on collision is a type of collision between two objects where both objects are moving directly towards each other and bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy.

2. What is the difference between an elastic head-on collision and an inelastic head-on collision?

In an elastic head-on collision, the kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision is the same. In an inelastic head-on collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

3. How is the momentum conserved in an elastic head-on collision?

In an elastic head-on collision, the total momentum of the two objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This principle is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

4. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic head-on collision?

The outcome of an elastic head-on collision is affected by the masses, velocities, and angle of approach of the objects involved. The elasticity of the objects and any external forces also play a role in the outcome of the collision.

5. Why are elastic head-on collisions important in physics?

Elastic head-on collisions are important in physics because they follow the laws of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. They can also be used to study the properties of objects, such as elasticity and mass, and to calculate the velocities of objects after the collision. Additionally, elastic collisions are often used in real-world applications, such as in sports equipment and car safety designs.